fishing in south florida

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
1203buffalo
Fisher

fishing in south florida

Post by 1203buffalo »

I will be in Boca Raton from march 15th-20. All I do is fish while I am there I probably have already scouted 100 spots with google both fresh and salt/brackish. I live in buffalo NY and this trip is my yearly to visit my parents. I pretty much just fish the whole time I am there so if anybody wants any company while I am there or has any tips for this time of year or general productive area for me to check out I would appreciate it! I know there are some descent pea canals by my parents but they might be done spawning by now and I exclusively use artificial s and I am catch and release only. I am always fishing with the intent of breaking PBs in whatever species I catch take some quick pics and release. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

oh I also don't mind driving I drove four hours to catch tarpon in flamingo city during my last trip! Google earth is so overwhelming when it comes to finding water I end up with a hundred starred places within a few hours of Boca Raton. I have no idea if they have fish or are fish-able because I am only using google maps. I spend more time driving and finding out what looked like a good spot on google is not fish-able than actually fishing lol. I posted a similar message on bass resource.com as that is a website I have been using in my local buffalo area but I know its at least national if not international. :reeling:

gatorjwade
Old Salt

Re: fishing in south florida

Post by gatorjwade »

You're getting into "pompano time" in the Boca area, so if you are able to find/buy some live sand fleas (or frozen, but not quite as good), on the beach toss them out on a "pompano rig" with enuf weight to keep them from moving and keep a taut line to see bites (slight bend in the rod tip while sitting in a sand spike) and you might get lucky with a couple pompano (good eating!) or REALLY lucky with a permit (basically a big pompano). Very briefly, typically considered best is enuf SE breeze to create a break, and best if you can find a sandbar break you can reach with your cast... that is where the pomps will be looking for food.

Other than that, along the beach, walking and casting at sunrise/sunset with a silver spoon (my fave is a 1oz Kastmaster) or if the water is FLAT a top-water lure can be productive.

I'm sure you will get lots more recommendations...

Good luck!
Jeff

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

thanks for reminding me to bring my kastmasters!!!!! and for your reply! any sections of beach you think are most productive near boca raton? I am pretty much going to be using heavy bass fishing gear so setting up a surf rod in a holder may not be an option unless I splurge while I am down there. I was thinking about the walking and casting more than anything actually thinking I would get more tips on inland or inshore than the surf but I am game for anything. I wonder if a crab or sandflea imitation or even a shrimp would work for pompano or permit. I bought a savage gear tpe shrimp for the trip and could buy a crab or flea imitation. Not sure if I would be able to cast far enough with bass gear though? thanks again!

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

They make artificial sand fleas, but I've never seen anyone use them....ever. If you happen to be here on a day with 15-25 knot winds out of the SE, head to anglins pier with a few of these and bounce them off the bottom for pompano.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

bigyellowtuna wrote:They make artificial sand fleas, but I've never seen anyone use them....ever. If you happen to be here on a day with 15-25 knot winds out of the SE, head to anglins pier with a few of these and bounce them off the bottom for pompano.
Thanks for the tip! Any idea what the pampano think the jig you mentioned is? It doesn't look like a sand flea or a crab to me!?

1203buffalo
Fisher

Post by 1203buffalo »

Anybody know if the spinner and or blacktips are in close to shore in west palm or somewhere close? I fished it one time off a boat barely got hooked up before being cut off. I would love to try and catch one of those if its happening now! Anybody know about it or have any suggestions?

gatorjwade
Old Salt

Post by gatorjwade »

You're at the tail end of the migration period for the blacktips & spinners, but there's probably still some around. I recommend a high tide at sunrise/sunset (or at night). A blue runner head on the bottom works well for me. Cast out as far as possible and put it on the bottom. Of course, a shark rig (wire, etc) is in order. I'd say a good spot would be a bit North of the Palm Beach inlet, but it's possible almost anywhere along our coast.... try for areas of land that jut out into the ocean if possible.
Good luck!
Jeff

Twinspoppa
Fisher

Post by Twinspoppa »

Just came from Juno Beach. Last Friday night, caught a 5ft shark which I think was either a sandbar or blacktip. Got it on a bluerunner head. Got plenty of hookups but only landed one. We didn't have shark tackle initially. Fished near the pier on the right hand side. Good luck!

EDIT: Maybe someone could help identify the shark for me. That's my friend in the pic.

gatorjwade
Old Salt

Post by gatorjwade »

I'm no expert, but pretty sure that's a blacktip... 1st dorsal looks like it starts over the pectoral fins, and best I can see the anal fin looks white (if black it would be a spinner... also if it was crazy erratic on the line, that's usually a spinner).

Anyway, a lot of fun regardless... nice catch and safe release! :-)
Jeff

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”