2009 SHOREBOUND

Info, Photos and leaderboard thread for 2009
benjamin
Seasoned Fisher

2009 SHOREBOUND

Post by benjamin »

Anyways... im looking forward to fishing the 2009 shorebound tourney...
i think a good new rule would be...

Hammerhead sharks should no longer count toward the big fish category... it takes too long to get a measurement (as far as the shark is concerned) to expect to set it free alive... they were the most valuable shark in last year's tourney as far as points go, and they should remain that way... but the requirement needs to seriously change!!! .......how bout just a pic with the shark in knee deep water as the leader is being cut so that its chances of survival greatly increase. Is our boost of ego worth the death of such a beautiful fish?... by that, i mean letting a shark die because it wont stop thrashing on the beach but you need to wait until it keeps still to get your measurment and picture and secret item, etc. in order to get your props at the end of the tourney. It just takes too long.

i think this new rule would prevent great controvery like in the past.... (lets hope those days of ignorance are long gone...) but more importantly, it could potentially mean the successful full release of a larger number of hammerheads...

I would much rather see a picture of a fresh shark kicking your a$$ in the surf as you set it free than one laying lifeless on the beach... you would have more respect from me if you could do this. I want my kids to catch some nice T-heads too. We arent doing anyone any favors by killing them... Intentionally or not... it doesnt make any sense to continue fishing them and targetting them the way we have.... We know "the nature of that beast" so lets change it up a bit shall we? :pirat:
land pirates crew.....hatin on googans since 1984...

bolo
USER BANNED

Re: 2009 SHOREBOUND

Post by bolo »

You make a good point. However, we can not control which sharks eat our bait. Also, if we do finally know it is a Hammerhead I would not feel comfortable cutting my line and have him drag the wire, wind on, and plus my braid main line. Most of the competitors who compete in the Shorebound are pretty much educated about the high death rate on Hammers. We all work very hard to bring the shark in quickly and take quick measurement and photos. One thing different that this tourney does is the requirement of video release. We all know we bltch and complained last year about this, especially for the guys who competes in the bridge category. But with the recent dispute of a Hammer entry the video release would have come in handy. I am sure they did their very best to save the shark. I personal think education and conservation is the best way to keep the survival of all sharks for the future.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

Benji you bring up a very valid point...The Hammer numbers are dwindling. Bolo i think that benji isn't necessarily saying just cut the wire and let the fish swim on; from what i took from his post was that the shark shouldn't be measured for biggest shark, as we all know that measuring takes a good deal of time when that fish keeps thrashing around to get that perfect shot. I think he is just saying take a picture of the shark caught and released and it will count as a caught and released shark.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Get-em-wet wrote:Benji you bring up a very valid point...The Hammer numbers are dwindling. Bolo i think that benji isn't necessarily saying just cut the wire and let the fish swim on; from what i took from his post was that the shark shouldn't be measured for biggest shark, as we all know that measuring takes a good deal of time when that fish keeps thrashing around to get that perfect shot. I think he is just saying take a picture of the shark caught and released and it will count as a caught and released shark.
If that is what he meant, then I will agree with his point. I read his differently.

benjamin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by benjamin »

exactly... if you catch a hammerhead, great... you just caught the most valuable shark in the points catagory... unfortunately, you also just caught the most vulnerable shark...

now we could continue dragging every hammerhead up onto the sand, hoping that one of them will be worth a rod and reel, or some cash when its all over, but when this means the shark's death most of the time, is it really worth it??? not to me... id rather watch my fish swim off to be caught again later when he's even bigger. you cant put a price on that.

anyways... get some nice shots of your hammerhead while he's still go a chance, in knee to waist deep water while youre cutting the wire near his mouth. if he's a big shark, he'll look big in the photo and you'll get your props. trust me.... also...video of a hammer swimming away could be double points?... just my suggestion

in no way am i trying to bash anyone. im just trying to think of an alternative to a bad way of fishing for one specific species. we know its a bad way. its been proven over and over and unfortunately over again... :pirat:

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

There are only two sharks that can win the biggest fish of the tourney Hammers and Tigers. Only a few teams live in Tiger land LP, Rip the Lips, and Pete's team. So you would be eliminating every other team in the tourney from having a chance to chase the biggest fish category. Do you really want every team in the tourney coming up to "your spots" instead of fishing for big Hammers?
The other problem is that most of the Hammers that die do so from the fight not from what happens on the beach. Big Hammers fight so hard, no matter the gear, that their fate is sealed one way or the other before they touch the sand. Also people give up on them too quickly, it took us a good 25 minutes before the Hammer from last years HC was ready to swim away strong, but we just stayed with it and eventually it regained it's strength. As for this years problem, that fish died because they walked it down on the bridge and it takes time to get down to the fish once you get it to the side of the bridge. The Shorebound eliminates that by giving you the bridge device.
ILSFA Member and Record Holder
Team Blackbart

benjamin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by benjamin »

then eliminate the big fish category alltogether. the more teams who begin fish this tournament, the more hamerheads will die off... period.

BTW...we've never had a hammerhead die on us during the fight. neither has my dad in his 57 years of fishing Florida. Even if we havent caught too many of them...I think my uncle may have brought in a dead hammer one time years ago off the Juno Pier but it probably died when he was walking it to shore... it happens when they are on he beach too long and have expended every last ounce of energy trying to fight you off and they cant get a gulp of H2O during any of it...

is any one rod and reel worth who knows how many dead hammers every year??? :scratch:

Team rebel
KING MACKEREL

Post by Team rebel »

Your claim is legitimate Benji, but the fact is in the publcis eye and even most fisherman they want to see big fish, everybody just wants the big fish and wants to see the big fish, and chris is also right if you take hammer out of the equation the only thing that is long enough is a tiger unless you want to get into the whole debate about legnth/weight formulas and thus leaving fish out of water an extended period of time, I have been lucky I have caught probably a dozen hammers on the beach and in excess of two dozen on the piers (much easier for them to live there obviously) and have only had one die and that was on the pier and it spazzed out half way through the fight it was truly bizzare. But if you hook them some sort of attempt needs to be made to keep them in as much water as possible and cut the leader as close as possible. But gettin rid of the big fish catagorey is not a good idea. I agree it sucks and something needs to be done, who knows what thier survival rate is after they leave the beach, all I know is we were lucky in the fact that the Three hammer we caught in the past week all swam away very well, mostly due to the fact is when they hit the beach they are in shallow water for no joke MAYBE minute, its full blown chaos to get the fish back in the water , I havent had a hammer die o nthe beach yet (knock on wood) but I hope the day doesnt come. But maybe brainstorm a little bit more on this maybe something good can come out of it that can work for everybody and benefit the shark b/c even down here in "hammer land" the drop off of numbers in hammers has been alarming fro m5 years ago whe nwe use to slaughter large ones on a weekly basis on the pier down here and I feel bad forthat now, the beach fishing in our area reflects it also.
" Welcome to the Greatest Show on Surf"

http://WWW.TEAMREBELFISHING.COM

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Yea I think we need to keep this going, this is really good stuff and I am in for finding a better way.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

If you are going to take Hammers off the big fish category and just have them in the points category then I agree you have to eliminate the big fish category all together. If you did that then you would have to make the gap in points a really big difference between small sharks and big sharks. Not just the extra 50 points that we got last year, (it was only 50 points extra last year right)? A 12 ft Hammer should be worth a substantial amount more then a 6'1 Hammer and the same thing for Tigers. Then you have to figure out whether the size is going to be determined by a judgement call from the committee or whether you somehow have to measure it without harming the shark.
This whole Hammer dying thing wasnt a problem in last years Shorebound, and if not for those pictures surfacing would this even be a topic right now? I would guess no.
Team Blackbart

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

I really dont think there is any answer to the problem, you are just going to run the risk of losing a few hammers during the tourney. Could something be worked out with the local universities to come pick up the hammers for gut content analysis that way they are not wasted?
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

sharkmn42
Old Salt

Post by sharkmn42 »

bigger hammers should be worth more points like chris said, a 12' to 14' fish takes a lotta team work just to catch then release quickly.....as far as prize money goes for a big fish award maybe do a lottery type drawing on a spieces of shark like the biggest bull or lemon something that will be impressive the night before the start......something that fairs well under the stress of a release.....and dont worry that big hammer will stick out in the mix like they do....just throwing in my 2 cents...mike :wink:

BTW...WhoDey we all fish remote locations and those guys arnt going to truck off a 600-850# shark off the beach with out the media .....good thought tho!
Is it better to be feared or respected or is it two much to ask for both......

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Reading this to understand both sides

Better release guidelines

and

Doing the tournament not counting towards the the Big Fish

I may way more towards keeping and finding a better guide line for the Hammer and "only beaches"
The bridge item does not give accurate measurement for largest shark.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

[quote="sharkmn42"]as far as prize money goes for a big fish award maybe do a lottery type drawing on a spieces of shark like the biggest bull or lemon something that will be impressive the night before the start[quote]

I like that idea, would keep an element of surprise until the tourney starts.

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

Biggest BonnetHead and we are in the Hunt Rory!
Team Locked Drag

See us in action!

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

i like the drawing idea but i think it would be way better to have it at the end of the tourney (like the day of awards or something)...that gives more insenitive to catch more fish and more kinds..instead of targeting one type..but then again im just a GIRL so what do i know
people are sooo much cooler online!!!

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

maneater wrote:i like the drawing idea but i think it would be way better to have it at the end of the tourney (like the day of awards or something)...that gives more insenitive to catch more fish and more kinds..instead of targeting one type..but then again im just a GIRL so what do i know
You catch more sharks than most of the guys (including me), so I say you know quite a bit!

I like the idea as well!
Team Locked Drag

See us in action!

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

WhoDey wrote:Biggest BonnetHead and we are in the Hunt Rory!
I got this category down pack. :D

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

:uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

maddawgandcrew
Old Salt

Post by maddawgandcrew »

in all fishing fish die yeah the hammers are more likely but that's the chance we take.. do your best to release it and walk it out until it regains its wits ..if your are going to stop the big fish category why fish its a shark tourney you fish for the BIG FISH if not go catch some pompano with your surf rods why do most of us have 14/0s or bigger every body wants the big fish ..
maddawg
TEAM DARK WATER

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

maddawgandcrew wrote:in all fishing fish die yeah the hammers are more likely but that's the chance we take.. do your best to release it and walk it out until it regains its wits ..if your are going to stop the big fish category why fish its a shark tourney you fish for the BIG FISH if not go catch some pompano with your surf rods why do most of us have 14/0s or bigger every body wants the big fish ..
:stupid: I totally agree with Maddawgandcrew.

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

maddawgandcrew wrote:in all fishing fish die yeah the hammers are more likely but that's the chance we take.. do your best to release it and walk it out until it regains its wits ..if your are going to stop the big fish category why fish its a shark tourney you fish for the BIG FISH if not go catch some pompano with your surf rods why do most of us have 14/0s or bigger every body wants the big fish ..
i say we start a whiting tournament..i would so dominate!!!! :reeling: :happyfisherman:

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

maneater wrote:i say we start a whiting tournament..i would so dominate!!!! :reeling: :happyfisherman:
That wouldn't be fair. You already have an advantage since you are white. :D

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

I'm with ya maddawg but if they keep the Big Fish in they have to keep Hammers in it. This is only coming up because of the Hammer dying in HC this year, if not for that shark this wouldnt be an issue. Honestly there was only one Hammer caught in last years Shorebound that was big enough to worry about it fighting to the death and that fish swam off. The SB uses release videos so the effort for release can be seen everytime.
Team Blackbart

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I am down for the whiting tournie , what are the dates. My record was 68 in an hour up to 3 lbs. :pistols: You guys can keep fishing for sharks but they have nothing on the elusive, hard fighting and drag pulling whiting. 8) Once you hook a whiting your in for the fight of your life .
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Fight for your life? On 4lb test?

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

ok since im new to boatless ive heard very little about this shark tourney, so wat are the dates, places, times and ect,...????
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

cantseeme47 wrote:ok since im new to boatless ive heard very little about this shark tourney, so wat are the dates, places, times and ect,...????
waiting on the date...everywhere..anytime..the baddest fisherman (and gals) in florida....and this is only the most antcipated event of the year...the best of the best competing for awards, prizes, and the braggin rights of being #1 in hardcore,extreme, shorebound fishing..the fish gods bow before you!!! :dude: but im not excited or anything!!

Return to “2009 SHOREBOUND SHARK TOURNEY”