2009 SHOREBOUND

Info, Photos and leaderboard thread for 2009
cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Re: 2009 SHOREBOUND

Post by cantseeme47 »

maneater wrote:
cantseeme47 wrote:ok since im new to boatless ive heard very little about this shark tourney, so wat are the dates, places, times and ect,...????
waiting on the date...everywhere..anytime..the baddest fisherman (and gals) in florida....and this is only the most antcipated event of the year...the best of the best competing for awards, prizes, and the braggin rights of being #1 in hardcore,extreme, shorebound fishing..the fish gods bow before you!!! :dude: but im not excited or anything!!

ok how do i enter?????
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

bolo wrote:Fight for your life? On 4lb test?
hes just jealous hes not hardcore like us!!! ive lost many of hook and sinker to the "swimming dragon" they call the whiting!!

omg its rubbing off i have become a multi-poster :nilly:
bolo and keith are bad influences :scold:
people are sooo much cooler online!!!

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

maneater wrote:Image
have to use these rods though .......

reelemin
KING MACKEREL

Post by reelemin »

sorry guys melissa is now band from the computer for multi posting..
http://barrettrods.com/

builder of high performance custom fishing rods

Get-em-wet
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Get-em-wet »

reelemin wrote:sorry guys melissa is now band from the computer for multi posting..
like musical band?!!!

luvinlife

Post by luvinlife »

I think this has been pulled of course slightly,
We need to think a little bit bigger than The big fish prize. And more about cause and affect.
Someone said that the only reason that this has been brought up is because of what happened this year with the one hammer, probably not true, due to the fact that numerous people have seen the dramatic decline in the hammer population among other sharks. That inturn affects the entire ecosystem. You take out the big sharks, you just took out a huge player in the food chain. it will all trickle down from there. with them not being able to take out the bigger fish, who inturn eat much more of the smaller fish..around we go. it eventually comes back to us. Thats just one example. There needs to be serious time and effort put into trying to figure out a better method ...or doing away with catagories, And decide whats best for the wildlife and ecosystem, for our children and our childrens children, not so you can get a better prize and a new reel. in a hundred years, that will mean nothing. But the wildlife and entire spieces that have been killed off to extiction will matter and make a big impact. Take or leave it, But theres got to be something better than, oh well they are probably gonna die anyway so nothing we can do... People need to really understand and make that conscious effort to be responsible and enjoy what thier doing but preserve it aswell, and the newcomers to get an education from the seasoned fishermen on how to do that...... Just food for thought.

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

The number of Hammers and other sharks arent decreasing because of these tourneys. There was a total of 3 Hammers caught in the Shorebound last year and only one was over 10 foot. Smaller Hammers release just fine and the big one we caught swam away after some reviving. There are video required in the Shorebound showing the shark being released. Commercial fishing and illegal finning are reducing the shark numbers. If you want to save the sharks for your children then get in congressmen's ear about improving enforcement of enviromental laws and putting an end to the commercial shark season.
ILSFA Member and Record Holder
Team Blackbart

benjamin
Seasoned Fisher

Post by benjamin »

im not saying that we shouldnt catch large hammerheads. i think we should still try to catch them... but should we drag them up on the beach and wait till they stop moving just to get a measurement? by that time, they might be dead already...

i agree that most sharks die from irresponsible commercial fishing and finning practices... does that mean that it doesnt matter if WE ALSO kill a few? what sense does that make?

if you catch a huge hammer, people are going to see that its a huge hammer. why not just be happy with the credit you get with a nice catch? our team doenst fish this tourney for prizes or cash anyway. we do it for bragging rights as im sure most of the other teams in this tourney do as well... do we need a measurement on hammers? why not just double the points with video proof of a released hammer?

looking at it from the perspective of "well hammerheads just die, and thats the way it is..." really does no good to anyone or anything... if we know this, and continue handling them the way we do, we are as bad as the kid from New York who thinks hes cool because he kills big bull sharks when he catches them off a charter boat... or as bad as the charter captains who promote this idea...
land pirates crew.....hatin on googans since 1984...

team fin addicts
Old Salt

Post by team fin addicts »

In general, no one on this site is intrested in killing any shark especially the breeders. I have another idea.... the pvc tubes used last year for the pier and bridge division could be used next to large hammers for a quick pic before they are released. that way you have an object of known size to give an accurate size of these large hammers without taking the extended time to try and get a tape next to them. Just an idae after reading all of this. I think this constructive back and forth will yield some great ideas going forward. Just my 2 cents..

maneater
Weekend Warrior

Post by maneater »

i kinda liked the old method with just the flag that they did 2yrs ago..its quick easy and could the judges could use photoshop to get a measure on it.maybe have a measument on the flag its self...maybe still have a secret item but i think the less you have to do with the fish outta water the better..it takes enough time as it is just to dehook and get a pic..and alot of times we choose not to tag because of the time it takes and like most of us the health of the fish is way more important..
people are sooo much cooler online!!!

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

maneater wrote:i kinda liked the old method with just the flag that they did 2yrs ago..its quick easy and could the judges could use photoshop to get a measure on it.maybe have a measument on the flag its self...maybe still have a secret item but i think the less you have to do with the fish outta water the better..it takes enough time as it is just to dehook and get a pic..and alot of times we choose not to tag because of the time it takes and like most of us the health of the fish is way more important..

+ 1
sponsored by: APAT Designer Services

reelemin
KING MACKEREL

Post by reelemin »

the flags the best and maybe a tape measure painted just for big fish winner
http://barrettrods.com/

builder of high performance custom fishing rods

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

I dont like the flag idea. If you do that then arent you doing away with bonus points for fish over 8 or over 9 depending the species? If thats the case then why dont we just get together on that island on the West Coast and catch 6ft 1 in Lemons and Bulls all day? The point of this tourney is to see what team can consistantly catch QUALITY sharks. Personally I think we should get more bonus then last year for sharks over a certain size.
Team Blackbart

maddawgandcrew
Old Salt

Post by maddawgandcrew »

SIZE MATTERS everybody wants to see the big fish the rest are just bait c if we can find a company to make a tape out of survay tape with a difernt coler every foot would make a very fat measure and very easy to see or posibly dyied rope differt color foot also easy to see evan a cane pole would work come on yall there should be some idea out there that will make it easy and work real good the cane pole you could evan lash a dull hook to the end to hook on the nose of the shark and bring the but to the tail a 1 man job

keep think guys somthing easy will come up

mark d.
maddawg
TEAM DARK WATER

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

The old points for species worked.
5 or 10 points for tippers
50 points for lemons
200 points for bulls (not many small ones or big numbers caught anyway)
300 points for Tigers.
400 points for Hammers. There are very few HH/Tigers caught so small one or big one can count the same
No points for gummers.

You would have to catch a lot of tippers to make up for one bull. This way no measuring or pulling out of the water required. Take pictures and judges can make the call at the end of the tourney on the big one for a prize or maybe two if they can't decide. The big ones stand out.

Just a suggestion.

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

As the years go on I would think the tourney would move forward and become more precise, especially when you are fishing for money. "There arent a lot of Tigers and Hammers caught so they can all count the same" are you serious with that? LP, RTL, and Pete's team catch at least 10 to 15 Tigers each year and our team just caught 5 Hammers in one month. Are 6 and 1/2 ft Tigers and Hammers supposed to count the same as 11 footers? If thats the case why even try for a nice shark. Enough of this limp wristed garbage about keeping every shark in the water, that means no hooks removed at all and lots of dangerous encounters with sharks in the water (which is real easy to say if you arent the one paying for the hooks or having to encounter big sharks in the water). No offense but this thread should be reserved for people who plan on fishing the tourney, because we are the fisherman who actually have to live by the rules that are set.

Keep it exactly like it was last year, you can even add more bonus points for large sharks. Thats how our team votes on this issue for what its worth.

I'll be the first to bring up another issue. NO BOATS. A SHOREBOUND Tourney on BOATLESS Fishing should not involve a boat in any way, even if you just use it to get to the spot.
Team Blackbart

budman
Seasoned Fisher

Post by budman »

Flag, tape measure, picture, and extra for tagging. I just think the video thing takes too long. Just my opinion.
sponsored by: APAT Designer Services

JunoChris
KING MACKEREL

Post by JunoChris »

I agree that if you are fishing with only a two people the video is a lot to ask. We usually bring a female who has the job of taking pics and doing video. I understand why Herbert does the videos considering how much backlash he gets from PETA and other conservation groups.
Team Blackbart

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

Was not saying keep all the way in the water. Pull part way out, get the hook or cut close, take a picture, and right back in. I have shark fished on the beaches in Jupiter for over 30 years starting in 1978 and was part of the original shark tournament that Geo started which this tournament spawned from. We have some credibility on what works keeping them alive and what worked for a tournament but then again we were mostly in it to raise money for a special charity. We were also more casual about it and teams actually invited each other to fish with them, share bait, etc. But again we were really raising money for a special cause and had some nice prizes as we went along with it which were a big bonus.

Just offering suggestions but I know that when money is involved things change. Hope it all works out.

Goat
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Goat »

One of the things that kills the bigger sharks is their body weight out of the water which crushes their insides. Same thing happens to a big tarpon if pulled up on the beach. Reason for staying part way in the water is to keep the load off the insides. It might swim away and still die because the internal organs all got damaged.

Catch some big ones.

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

No video please
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

maddawgandcrew
Old Salt

Post by maddawgandcrew »

just leave it the way it is ..but maybe on the video only on the sharks that mite win for big fish ... and if a shark dies lets see some volunteers on taking some of the meet so it doesent go to waste 1 person cant take home 500lbs of meet charity maybe ""anybody know who will take it'' i will take 50lbs meet if your ''anybodys'' shark dies

and for leaving a shark in the water to measure it iam not going to do it with nutz arse lemon shark thats tring to eat my arse that would be stupid sharks are tuff ass hell hammers die because thay fight till thay nothing left we cant help that ...SO LETS DONT WORRY ABOUT FISH DEAD LETS MAKE A RULE FOR ONE THAT WHEN IT DIES YOU HAVE TO SHOW WERE THE MEAT WENT... CHARITY/ THE AWARDS COOKOUT/ FRIEND WHATEVER not just droped back in the water

how about extra points per foot maybe 50 points for every foot over 10 feet or better over 9ft
maddawg
TEAM DARK WATER

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Keep the video release rule in.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

GoinDeep
Fisher

Post by GoinDeep »

Can anglers NOT in the tourney order an official tourney long sleeved shirt? If so, how?

lmnsntigrsnbulls

Post by lmnsntigrsnbulls »

you all raise good points, I believe the issue is the hammerhead shark specifically. We do not want another dead t-head washing up on the beach during our tournament or any other time for that matter. We all remember the news media frenzy when that 12 foot t-head washed up near sebastion. personally, i would get a pic of one in surf, cut it off and let it swim away. If we don't get points for it , oh well; its not like we catch that many anyway. Please remember that our team tries to release every fish as quickly as possible and the species that suffers the most is the hammer. Thnx for listening, Pops

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

GoinDeep wrote:Can anglers NOT in the tourney order an official tourney long sleeved shirt? If so, how?
Sorry for the late response.

Thanks for your support. We have finished with a t-shirt design (already on one of the banners). We are looking for t-shirt companies and cost. We are probably going to go with a web store deal that will allow us to sell t-shirts and hats online this way we can make different designs that will help promote catch and release as well as tagging (ideas in my head and Tom's that keep on spinning). If we do not find a sponsor this could help us for next year so we can purchase the shark tags and tag needles on our own, that's roughly $2,000.00. I think it would be great if we can do so.

Return to “2009 SHOREBOUND SHARK TOURNEY”