The best kayak for bait deployment

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

The best kayak for bait deployment

Post by JSG2891 »

I plan on looking at some used kayaks on craigslist/ebay...I'm looking to spend about $250-350. Less would be great, lol. All I need is something that I can use for paddling out big pieces of cut bait, I don't need one of those fancy ones that you can strap all your gear down in. But I would be willing to consider one of those that you can load your gear on just so I can paddle down to my spots instead of carrying my stuff, I just prefer to spend less money. Also, I am considering getting a cart for it to make transportation down the beach easier in case I can't find something to load my gear in. Around here there aren't any beaches I know of that I can drive on, all of the rich folks had to have their condos built ontop of the best fishing spots. Any recommendations on brands/models/sizes? I'd prefer the smallest size I can get away with. The surf is usually calm here on the gulf side, and I prefer fishing on the calmer days. I will be using this to take baits out only 100-250 yards..no 500 yard treks, I'm not looking for 15 foot tigers and hammerheads (yet, lol). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Re: The best kayak for bait deployment

Post by gdm phil »

I use sea eagle inflatable. works like a charm. I can take waves crashing like a pro
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

JSG2891 wrote:I plan on looking at some used kayaks on craigslist/ebay...I'm looking to spend about $250-350. Less would be great, lol. All I need is something that I can use for paddling out big pieces of cut bait, I don't need one of those fancy ones that you can strap all your gear down in. But I would be willing to consider one of those that you can load your gear on just so I can paddle down to my spots instead of carrying my stuff, I just prefer to spend less money. Also, I am considering getting a cart for it to make transportation down the beach easier in case I can't find something to load my gear in. Around here there aren't any beaches I know of that I can drive on, all of the rich folks had to have their condos built ontop of the best fishing spots. Any recommendations on brands/models/sizes? I'd prefer the smallest size I can get away with. The surf is usually calm here on the gulf side, and I prefer fishing on the calmer days. I will be using this to take baits out only 100-250 yards..no 500 yard treks, I'm not looking for 15 foot tigers and hammerheads (yet, lol). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
i would like to say west marine but the costs there are much higher. i got mine at a store near me but it was a gift though.
i think it was 300 something for the cheapest. so probably stick to craigslist to find a yak not beat up and less expensive.
and BTW......... U wanna kno something. :) those big sharks around 10' and up can come in quite shallow water.10
just use a big enough bait past the sandbar at night time and see what happens. if you fish like this everyday, eventually one
will get on.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Rob762, that is one reason I haven't brought a kayak yet. Also, the weight limit is not high enough to handle my weight. I think a ship will be better suited for me.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

thanks all..and i'll check out that sea eagle..by the way, i don't really plan on taking it out at night..I just want to be sure to have one by next summer so I'll be able to paddle baits out to my tarpon spot instead of having to swim them out there like last summer. I cannot wait, its going to be epic. what I always do is I'll take baits out up until it starts to get dark...personally i feel safer swimming around out there during the day than I would being in a kayak out there in the dark, to me that seems a lot creepier. I prefer fishing in the daytime for numerous reasons, including you get to a lot of sexy women half naked walking around on the beach.

by the way, it is true that there are bigger sharks in close at pretty much any beach around..at some beaches you can walk out about 50 yards or so. and if you got something you can cast a big bait pretty far with then you can get into some big fish with no kayak.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Keep an eye on craigslist, you can find some real bargains on kayaks there.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

bolo wrote:Also, the weight limit is not high enough to handle my weight.
Well atleast you get good leverage for fighting bigger sharks!

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Hopefully I'm not too late, but the Malibu Mini-X or the Ocean Kayak Scrambler are perfect for yaking your bait out. They handle the waves like a pro too. However, make sure you know how to surf the waves in properly or you will get dumped. When your yak starts to go sideways, lean wayyyy INTO the wave and stick your paddle into the wave for stabilization. You should be able to surf that right onto shore!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I may be going out with my seaeagle next tues. if you wanna come to delray and check it out your more than welcome
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

bolo wrote:I think a ship will be better suited for me.
I think a sub compact Japanese boat with a honda engine and a loudhass exuast system would be better suited.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

CubanExpress wrote:
bolo wrote:I think a ship will be better suited for me.
I think a sub compact Japanese boat with a honda engine and a loudhass exuast system would be better suited.
They have a 300lb weight limit.

CubanExpress

Post by CubanExpress »

LOL!

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

Jet ski are the best way to deploy shark baits.

CubanExpress

Post by CubanExpress »

bolo wrote:Jet ski are the best way to deploy shark baits.
....and the weight limit on that is?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

CubanExpress wrote:
bolo wrote:Jet ski are the best way to deploy shark baits.
....and the weight limit on that is?
They have been turbo charging the Jet Ski and making a lot of power. As long I do not stop the Jet Ski should not take on water.

CubanExpress

Post by CubanExpress »

bolo wrote: They have been turbo charging the Jet Ski and making a lot of power. As long I do not stop the Jet Ski should not take on water.
LOL!

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

gdm phil wrote:I may be going out with my seaeagle next tues. if you wanna come to delray and check it out your more than welcome

I wish I could make it..I've always wanted to fish that area of the state..best to check out some yaks before you buy anyways..I'm probably going to rent a couple models before I buy so I see how they handle. But I'm mostly going to be fishing calm surf..the west doesn't have many waves especially march-september.

jamesk
Fisher

Post by jamesk »

I have a Emotion Spitfire its a great kayak for Kayaking baits out and I picked it up for $265 new in PT Charlotte this summer

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

jamesk wrote:I have a Emotion Spitfire its a great kayak for Kayaking baits out and I picked it up for $265 new in PT Charlotte this summer

nice deal..i'm looking for something in that price range as well..i just gotta keep an eye on craigslist.

Return to “Fishing Location Help”