On holiday south of Tampa

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
cornwall fisher

On holiday south of Tampa

Post by cornwall fisher »

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and from the UK. I'mvisiting Florida over Christmas and the new year. I'll be staying sounth of Tampa on Anna Maria island. I fished there a few years ago and had plenty of fishbut that was October time. I am wondering what I might be expecting to catch this time of year and if it's better to fish the backwaters, the piers or the open beach? I also used shrimp and more shrimp as bait last time, is that still good bait this time of year? Thanks for any replies.....

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Re: On holiday south of Tampa

Post by SnookMook »

Cornwall--Cheers and good day mate. Right now the fishing on the inside flats for trout and redfish will be your best bet. Wade fishing north of west approach of the Island on Manatee Ave/64 is hot right now at low tide for redfish and trout.

You may get some Spanish mackerel from the Piers first thing in the morning. Surf fishing this could yield some pompano and or bluefish, spanish macks, and maybe some bonito.

Jigs and soft plastics, topwater and suspending lures, for the trout and redfish. Silver spoons and Gotcha plugs for the mackerel, blues, etc.

Live shrimp for the redfish, trout, pompano.

Also around the piers, the sheepshead should be good on shrimp and crabs.

Good luck.

email me at: snookmook1@aol.com

if you have any more questions.

"May your lines be tight and your shake off's and break off's memorable."

http://forshorefishing.theledger.com/

Return to “Fishing Location Help”