Line weight?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Line weight?

Post by G_Loc »

I'm using a 25lb mono for the main line in my reel, will this be adequate for bridge fishing in the keys? I've only caught 1 undersize Yellowtail with this rod and reel combo lol (release it, of course!)

The rod and reel are from Sports Authority, nothing fancy. I think the combo cost me $70 or so

Thanks
www.cheesepatrol.com
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. All you would hear is 'Awww ****! I thought I looked like that rock!'" - Mitch Hedberg, RIP

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Line weight?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Depends what you are fishing for. For overall bottom fishing for muttons, etc, that should be ok. Too heavy for throwing jigs for mackeral though.

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

8) Show us the real and maybe we will tell you to change lb. test line.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

And to be honest, it is impossible to have 1 single rig that is suitable for the Keys. Way too many conditions and species, when I go I bring a variety of setups from 6 lb to 80 lb line, and heavier if I'm sharking. If I could only bring 2, I'd bring a 30 lb conventional reel on a 9 ft rod for casting bottom rigs, and a 12 lb spinner on a 7 1/2 ft rod for casting jigs and fishing baits around the pilings for mangroves.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

You bring 20 rods when you fish.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:And to be honest, it is impossible to have 1 single rig that is suitable for the Keys. Way too many conditions and species, when I go I bring a variety of setups from 6 lb to 80 lb line, and heavier if I'm sharking. If I could only bring 2, I'd bring a 30 lb conventional reel on a 9 ft rod for casting bottom rigs, and a 12 lb spinner on a 7 1/2 ft rod for casting jigs and fishing baits around the pilings for mangroves.
8) The "Zeb Staal" does it all.

Reels in Great Whites all the way to the rod tip.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

from what i have seen most folks like their gear matched up perfect with their particular target so they have a full rod cart with them..a lot of people like heavier gear for bridge fishing because of all the structure.

G_Loc
Weekend Warrior

Post by G_Loc »

Ok I started prepping my gear for the weekend. The rod is an 8 foot Shakespeare Prius Bigwater and it is rated at 13 - 30lbs. I'll probably re-spool it with some 30# line just to be safe.

I've also got a 7 foot rod that I will be taking as well. I don't know what line weight the reel is spooled with, I'm guessing 15 - 20lbs or so. Probably just leave that one for bait catching duty
www.cheesepatrol.com
"Fish are always eating other fish. If fish could scream, the ocean would be loud as ****. All you would hear is 'Awww ****! I thought I looked like that rock!'" - Mitch Hedberg, RIP

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

G_Loc wrote:Ok I started prepping my gear for the weekend. The rod is an 8 foot Shakespeare Prius Bigwater and it is rated at 13 - 30lbs. I'll probably re-spool it with some 30# line just to be safe.

I've also got a 7 foot rod that I will be taking as well. I don't know what line weight the reel is spooled with, I'm guessing 15 - 20lbs or so. Probably just leave that one for bait catching duty
Use the 30lb line set up for bottom fishing. Use the lighter rod for casting lures for Macs or Bluefish. You can always change and use it to catch bait too. 15-20lb test will be fine.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

dmoore65
Fisher

Post by dmoore65 »

Any of you guys use power pro braided line ?
Fish For A Man, He'll Eat For A Day, But If You Teach That Man To Fish, He'll Never Go Hungry.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

dmoore65 wrote:Any of you guys use power pro braided line ?
Not if you gave it to me. To many bad experiences with it in the past to even give it another try. Jerry Brown or nothing for braid for me
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

dmoore65
Fisher

Post by dmoore65 »

fishnfool73 wrote:
dmoore65 wrote:Any of you guys use power pro braided line ?
Not if you gave it to me. To many bad experiences with it in the past to even give it another try. Jerry Brown or nothing for braid for me
whats the best type of mono to use for jack and snapper fishing from the shore?
Fish For A Man, He'll Eat For A Day, But If You Teach That Man To Fish, He'll Never Go Hungry.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

I use Diamond Mamoi but Ande is good and not nearly as expensive.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Everyone will have their opinions for me Ande pink, Momoi Diamond, and Berlkly Big Game in that order.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

fishnfool73 wrote:Everyone will have their opinions for me Ande pink, Momoi Diamond, and Berlkly Big Game in that order.
i second ande pink on everything

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Momoi :thumright:

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Exactly Nelson. I hear good things about the new Illusion, wears like fluoro and ties like braid.

http://www.diamondfishing.com/index.php ... &Itemid=27
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Eman305
Weekend Warrior

Post by Eman305 »

Will fish see pink line leaders?

Eddie305
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Eddie305 »

I use on almost ALL! of my fishing rods 12 pound blue momoi, Ive caught 25 pound stingrays on it without any problems, I have 2 rods set up with braid currently those are my 2 big rods, cedros cj55 with 60 pound braid and one of my penn 650SS with 80 pound braid, I have spare spools for my 2 stradics with braid which i dont plan on using anytime soon, my stradic 5000 FH has the 12 pound momoi on a jigging rod :dude: and the only time i will put the braid back on my 5000 jigging combo is when the BIG tarpon are running at rickenbacker just to horse then out of under the bridge to land them, I dont use power pro anymore unless givin to me, Ive had bad luck with it coming apart all the time.

Eman305
Weekend Warrior

Post by Eman305 »

12lb zebco mono FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also use 30lb zebco mono on my heaviest rod and it seems to do well, plus 300yrd was lik e 3$ :safe:

Return to “Tackle Help”