Cobia Rod?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Cobia Rod?

Post by fishaddict0916 »

I was in BPS today and saw something they call a "Cobia Extreme Rod" or something like that. Can anyone tell me the difference between that and a normal surf rod??

Local66
KING MACKEREL

Re: Cobia Rod?

Post by Local66 »

Marketing. Cobia are dumb, they hit jigs/plugs/flies/bait with equal enthusiasm. Alot of guys like 9ft rods for throwing 2-3oz flare jigs. Longer rods are not my first choice for fighting big fish that like to swim straight down. 9' rod + gunnel = CRACK!

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

Other than the guides, I didn't see much difference in it from a normal surf rod....the "cobia rod" had the SS wire guides. The rod did feel a little heavier and seemed a little stiffer in the tip than the comparable "surf rod".

I was thinking of using a BPS gift card I got for Christmas to purchase a rod that will get me a bit more casting distance. Would like something $150 or under in probably a 9 or 10' spinner.....any recommendations?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

For the pier I prefer 8-9 ft spin rod. The longer length gives better casting distance and accuracy. Also, better leverage when it goes under the pier. For boats that sits lower to the water a longer rod is not the best choice.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

Thanks Guys.....I do mostly pier fishing and sometimes from a jetty or something.....very little boat fishing.....so not looking for a boat rod!!

Return to “Tackle Help”