Jigs and bait hook ?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
rubline
Fisher

Jigs and bait hook ?

Post by rubline »

Nice site you guys have here. Couple of questions from this midwestern guy who will be fishing Sanibel this summer. 1st, what ounce bucktail jig do you think would be best for snook beach fishing that time of year? I don't know what kind of surf I will be dealing with and want to be ready.

Second, is the circle hook rule for livebait in the regulations for shore fishing or only from a boat when you're fishing wrecks? I plan on trying to catch a few small sharks or whatever will bite and will be looking to learn as much as I can from the site before i get down there.

Thanks

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Jigs and bait hook ?

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

The Gulf circle hook rule is only for reef fish, so you can use J-hooks from shore.

rubline
Fisher

Post by rubline »

Thanks for the info guys. I have done quit a bit of saltwater fishing from shore but the places i have fished most have serious current with the waves. Thats why i was asking about jigs weights. I will just bring serval sizes.

Besides hopefully being able to buy live Pinfish or whatever the local baitshops sell, do any of you have luck catching baitfish with a Sabiki rig?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Yes, just tip a sabiki with bits of squid or shrimp and cast it anywhere there are shallow seagrass beds, you should be able to load up on pins in no time.

Return to “Tackle Help”