Avet reels preset knob help

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Avet reels preset knob help

Post by Snooker0215 »

This is my first Avet (mxl) And i have no idea what these little preset knob's do on the side. There is 12 detent settings. Can anybody help me out? Also is it just my avet or when you put your level drag on bait it has a wierd friction feeling when line comes out. How should the bait mode feel? AVET OWNERS HELP.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Re: Avet reels preset knob help

Post by Miamipescador »

I dont have an avet but that weird friction feeling is usually some drag that its putting out on the bait mode, or it might be the cast control.
The preset drags on the side work as with any other lever drag, the higher you put it the stronger your drag will be throughout all levels of your reel. On most reels its not recommended to put it so high though.
It just depends what youre planning to fish for, if youre going for kings then have it at like number 4 or so, then when you hit strike you might have 6-8 pounds of drag or something, if going for snook on juno put it on 10 and you might have 15-20 lbs of drag on strike.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

First, don't change the knob in any drag position but "free". You will damage the reel. Once you set the CC in "free", you can't change it in any other position but "free". The drag feeling in "bait" is the drag begining to engage to hold your bait with the clicker. It's so the fish can take the bait and run with the clicker going off. Very little resistance. At that point you move the drag lever to "strike" and fight the fish. From "strike" to "full" is your fighting drag. Increase your drag in small moves. Read the direction's cover to cover with the reel in hand. should make it clearer for ya.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snooker0215 »

Im very confused. So if i have 30lb mono on there but about 25 yards of 60lb mono for the big snooks. What setting should i have it on?

plotalot
Fisher

Post by plotalot »

You can't go by any particular setting on the preset knob, unless you already know how much drag each setting delivers. A spring scale is nice to use when setting the drag but not necessary, you can go by feel but the scale is better. Most folk say to set a lever drag reel to 25% of the lines rating. In your case 7.5 lbs. Do a search on how to set a lever drag reel, you will find some decent how to's. You can make notes on how the drag relates to the numbers on the knob if you'd like. I just start fresh with my scale each time I set my drag, using the knob numbers as reference, if I pay them any attention at all.
It's my duty to make fish pay for their mistakes.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Snook; Have you got the MXL- MC version or the MXL version?

Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snooker0215 »

I have the mc version of the mxl

Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snooker0215 »

I also have a boga grip if that helps. I am still confused on what to do if im using 30lb topshot but for the snook im using about 25-40 yards of like 60lb mono. What would i set my drag to using the presets?

plotalot
Fisher

Post by plotalot »

Set your drag according to your running line. Once you get a few wraps of 60 on your spool button the lever forward to full and put thumb pressure if even more drag is needed.

Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snooker0215 »

How exactly do i do that?

plotalot
Fisher

Post by plotalot »

First IGNORE the numbers on the preset knob, they mean nothing to you. assuming you're spooled up, tie the end of your line to the scale. Move the drag lever to "strike" and check how many pounds of drag pressure you have. If it is too light return the lever to "free" and turn the preset knob a click or two clockwise, if too heavy counterclockwise. Return to "strike" and check it again. Keep repeating the process until you have the drag where you want it.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

OK you have the master cast version so it's a little easier. What plot is saying is set your drag buy your main line rating. Ignore your topshot. On your reel the knob on the drag lever is your drag adjustment. The knob on the other side of the reel is cast control. You set the cast control by the weight on the rig. If your using a 4 oz weight set the CC knob to 4. simple as that. Then set your drag knob for the main line rating. For a 30 lb main line you want around 7.5 lbs of drag or 25% as plot said. Once you reel in your line to the point that you have a few wraps of your top shot on the spool, then you can go to the "full" setting on your drag. However your drag preset is for a 30 lb main line. so you use your thumb to put pressure on the spool increasing the amount of drag manually for lack of a better term. The reel drag controls your main line drag and the reel drag combined with thumb pressure control your top shot drag level.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Take the advice that their giving man, its very good.
Also guys take into consideration that he is going to be fishing snook on piers so those 25-40 yards of 60 should not come off the spool. Id set the drag at strike to around 15 pounds and 20+ at full if you can handle it, make sure that it is not hard to move from strike to full as this will mess up your reel, if you need more pressure just thumb the line.

plotalot
Fisher

Post by plotalot »

Miamipescador wrote:Take the advice that their giving man, its very good.
Also guys take into consideration that he is going to be fishing snook on piers so those 25-40 yards of 60 should not come off the spool. Id set the drag at strike to around 15 pounds and 20+ at full if you can handle it, make sure that it is not hard to move from strike to full as this will mess up your reel, if you need more pressure just thumb the line.
Just because he has 60# line on a reel it doesn't mean that the reel is a 60# reel. Besides a MXL can only deliver 9# at strike and still maintain freespool and not put undue stress itself. Got to love a reel that is smart enough to resist the urges of its owner to overfish it. IMO a MXL is a 15-20# reel capable of being stretched to 25 or 30#.

Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snooker0215 »

I am going to try plotalots thing soon and let all of you know how it goes and if i need a bit more explanation.

Snooker0215
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snooker0215 »

Just gave it a go, Still not completely understanding. Am i measuring the drag output on the "full mode" or "strike" Also, i tried measuring the drag with my boga but it turned out a mess. Somebody help. :x

plotalot
Fisher

Post by plotalot »

I searched for a decent video for you. This is the best I found.I hope it clears things a bit for you. Good luck.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... YDfIM3it60

plotalot
Fisher

Post by plotalot »

Dude shoot me a PM with your phone number I'll talk you through it.

Return to “Tackle Help”