Pier/Beach setup?

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
Mangudai
Fisher

Pier/Beach setup?

Post by Mangudai »

My brother and I want to try our hand at land saltwater fishing now that he lives by the beach in Ft Lauderdale. Day or night. Im not sure what to look for or what test line to use. I usually just fish around in canals and haven't been to a pier in many years.

I have a Ugly-Stik BWSG 1102 rod laying around. Would this be sufficient? What other rods/reels could you recommend?

Thanks

on light line 6969
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Pier/Beach setup?

Post by on light line 6969 »

use what ever feels good to you,have multiple rod at the ready 10.15.20.maybe 30# test are standard you will learn all types of new riggs,the best advise is go to where you are going to fish and talk to the regulars they have a wealth of knowledge to share if you ask NICE,but dont hound them,they will get lock jaw like a snook after a cold front!!!!!TIGHT LINES-GOOD LUCK :happyfisherman:

toehead93
Fisher

Post by toehead93 »

You can pretty much make anything work. I have three combos with 10, 15, and 30lb line on them. My friend who I fish with has two $30 Walmart combos and it does the job for him. We both just started pier fishing a few months ago. I happened to have mostly light tackle gear when we started at the piers so I have since bought something for my 30lb combo which is a Shimano Trevala/Sheros 5000. I prefer spinning reels otherwise I'm tearing apart bird nests all day.

Mangudai
Fisher

Post by Mangudai »

Thanks for the replies.

I share the same sentiments when it comes to conventional reels. Course if I took the time to get use to them im sure I'd grow to enjoy them.

Return to “Tackle Help”