Newby needs help choosing new rods.

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
Singleshot
Fisher

Newby needs help choosing new rods.

Post by Singleshot »

I already have some reels that I think would be good for surf fishing and need suggestions for the rods.

Do you think that I would have most situations covered with these outfits?

!st. Shimano baitrunner 3500B, 50 lb spectra on a Tica Dolphin 9' 2pc rated 1/2 to 3 oz.
2nd. Shimano baitrunner 4500, 50 lb spectra on a Tica Dolphin 11' 2pc rated 3 to 8 oz.
3rd. Shimano baitrunner 4500B, 50 lb spectra on a Tica Dolphin 12' 2pc rated 4 to 10 oz.

Are there many situations where you need more than 10 oz sinkers?

I am also thinking about removing the bail wires and leaving just the rollers.

Would The first outfit be suitable for pier fishing throwing lures?

Thanks, Bill

Singleshot
Fisher

Re: Newby needs help choosing new rods.

Post by Singleshot »

Strizile,
Thanks for the reply. It is going to be a while before I am ready to go surf fishing. Need to get all the gear that I will need. So far all I have is the reels. I will let you know how it works out removing the bail wire.
Bill

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Newby needs help choosing new rods.

Post by fishnfool73 »

The Baitrunner series really isn't made for lure fishing. They are a bit heavier and bulkier for that style of fishing and the baitrunner feature is wasted. You are much better off using them for bait fishing and grabbing another reel if you want to use it for lure fishing.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Return to “Tackle Help”