Shimano Baitrunner B or D

You will find info on tackle and types of set ups and rigs that we have discussed here in the forum.
cravina
Weekend Warrior

Shimano Baitrunner B or D

Post by cravina »

Any feedback on the reliability of the newer Shimano Baitrunner D version? I plan to use in surf fishing and will be on an 11 ft rod. Should I get the 6000, 8000 or 12000?

Also contemplating getting the older B version as feedback on reliability has been great but thinking the newer version may have better drag.

Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

living the dream
Fisher

Re: Shimano Baitrunner B or D

Post by living the dream »

I have the older one, in a mid-size. I forget the number. As for the drag, you can get aftermarket carbontex drag washers from 'smooth drag' (google it). Before that, good drag. After the $10 mod, baby bottom smooth drag, I can't imagine anything smoother.

But seriously, the most important part of any drag is to service it regularly, IMHO.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Dont know how the new ones hold up but they are some nice reels!
Drag is very smooth and the retrieve on them is smooth as well.

I would go with the new one,10-12k and just take care of it :toast:

The Thunnus would be something to look at if you want to spend a bit more

cravina
Weekend Warrior

Post by cravina »

Thanks for the inputs. I'm pretty good at servicing my reels, managed to make wally world reels last almost two years despite being dunked in the sand and saltwater.

Wow the Thunnus looks really good, I did not realize it also has a baitrunner feature.

I might stick to under $200 stuff for now for my first upgrade from walmart.

fishaddict0916
Old Salt

Post by fishaddict0916 »

I have no experience with the new baitrunners and don't know anyone that has one. However, I have had one of the old 6500's for about 4 years and have had terrific service out of it. I also bought the Thunnus12000 a couple of years ago and love it even more than my baitrunner.....the baitrunner has been a backup reel since I bought the Thunnus, but haven't needed it as the Thunnus has not let me down yet. The difference between the Thunnus and Baitrunner is sort of like the difference between Lexus vs. Toyota or Acura vs. Honda. Both excellent, but the Thunnus is sort of the luxury version.

A quick warning though.....if you plan to service them yourself, I hope you are very mechanically inclined!! There are a couple of springs inside that are very tough to get back into place when you put them back together.

Good luck in your purchase....I don't think you'd be disappointed in either real.....either/or would probably be a step up from Wally World!! :D

living the dream
Fisher

A quick warning though.....if you plan to service them yourself, I hope you are very mechanically inclined!! There are a couple of springs inside that are very tough to get back into place when you put them back together.
No doubt on that one. I run some spheros spinners w/o the baitrunner feature. They're a piece of cake to service. I cracked my baitrunner open once. Once. That thing is a maze of springs and tiny metal pieces. The upshot is my baitrunner turned out to be much more salt resistant than my mid-size spheros and hasn't needed servicing.

One exception: the stack of drag washers in the top of the spool needs regular servicing. But it's easy.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

The old baitrunner is a tank and will work with no wories for a long time.
I have no Idea on the new ones. I own 4 of the old ones all different sizes for many years now and they still work like they did the day I bought them over 5 years ago. :toast:

living the dream
Fisher

The one complaint I do have about my Baitrunner is it flexes like crazy when you're reeling against something solid. The body is graphite and I think that's the reason. It doesn't rust, but boy does it give you a feeling like something is going to break (but nothing ever seems to). Looking at the metal body Thunnus, it seems like a very good upgrade, if money is not an obstical.

My $0.02.

cubapnea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by cubapnea »

I have a 4500b and 6500b ... awesome reels specially the 4500 , the thunus is like buying a lincoln mark truck when the f150 has all you need .

Return to “Tackle Help”