BONE MARROW TESTING & BLOOD DRIVE TODAY Help this Child

BF Members paying it forward and helping others that are less fortunate and also making a difference and protecting our environment. this area is where you can read about planned events and our accomplishments.
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

BONE MARROW TESTING & BLOOD DRIVE TODAY Help this Child

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

image001.jpg
Sofia Armstrong is our daughter’s friend from kindergarten at Virginia Shuman Young Elementary school.

She has Leukemia and is now in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant.

Sofia is a 5 year old kindergarten student at Virginia Shuman Young and was recently diagnosed with Leukemia.

You can help Sofia by joining us this Sunday, February 8th from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm at:

Virginia Shuman Young Elementary
101 NE 11th Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301

Bone Marrow testing consists of a simple cheek swab. You pay nothing! Testing is quick and easy. You will also have the opportunity to donate blood for Sofia’s numerous transfusions.
If you have any questions, please contact either:
Angel Rodriguez or Jennifer Schwartz
(954) 854-2992 (954) 298-6881
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

BoatlessFisherman

Re: BONE MARROW TESTING & BLOOD DRIVE TODAY Help this Child

This is happenning today and won't take long and you could save this child.
Please if you can stop by and help do.

Thank you
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

I saw this on the news last night as well.

BF - Since you are closer to the situation ( Sofia is a a classmate of Gabby's, no?)
Can you try to keep an ear to the ground as far as another date for testing?
I would go get tested, and donate if I was a match.

By the time I fired up the 'puter yesterday, it was way late in the day / evening to consider a trip...:(

When I see her beautiful face in that pic, I can imagine one of mine in that scenario...

Folks - Lukemia can be overcome W A Bone Marrow Transplant giving her a normal life , however without it, she will likely die.

This is something we should all turn out for, if there is another chance to help.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

BoatlessFisherman

I believe they will do it again, Lets hope not and that they find a match the first go around, but that is unlikely but who knows.

My wife will be talking with there family this week so if and when they plan another I will try to post earlier.

By the way they had a Great turn out a lot more than they expected.

I know some from the site went , so let me say Thank you for helping it means Life to this little girl.
-Tommy A-

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

BoatlessFisherman wrote: My wife will be talking with there family this week so if and when they plan another I will try to post earlier.
Good on ya mate ;)
If it is easier, send me a text, IM or give a ring - I will go get tested.

Maybe we could do this as a group and meet up at a Flanigans afterwards or something fun for those of us with kids so they will agree to go with - Maybe if we go together we can take turns watching each others kids while we each get tested or drop off a pint ?

EDIT -
I just called to one of the conbtacts listed in the Original post.
The Next Date for this drive will be Sunday March 15, 2009
It will be at Parkway Christian School in Davie FL
1200 S Flamingo RD

Between 11 AM and 5 PM

PLS show up!

Even if you are not a match for the transplant, you could drop off a pint of blood - In speaking to someone closer to this situation, there are a few different blood types that will benefit this little angel for the many transfusions that she will likely need.

angsky@bellsouth.net is the e-mail addy for one of the people organizing this event - her phone # is at the beggining to this post.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

I just spoke to someone that is helping to organize a second drive.

She informed me that she unofficially heard that there were some potential matches. However I am also led to believe that the matching process is complicated. The testing is just a swap, but the match process is a series of qualifyin identifiers that gets narrowd down in each successive match round....
But I'm no DR....

...so another drive may or not be necessary at this point.

I have recieved a few PM's on this and also organized a few folks of my own to show up also

I will keep everyone posted over the next few days !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Multiple requests to the Contact person listed above have as of now resulted in NO fliers sent to me or even a confirmation as to the March 15 date for a second drive.

Thanks to all that have expressed interest in helping, but I can neither confirm nor deny that the second drive IS in fact happening.

Feel free to contact them on your own - possibly too bust or wrapped up to respond which can be understandable.

I DO know a few potential donors were identified in the first round....Hopefully this is done.

Tom - Maybe you have some insight?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Thanks COOKINMAN let me know of any updates. If I hear nothing else on here , I will assume that it is not happening.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BoatlessFisherman

I will call the Mother and get the info tomorrow.

as for an update
It is my understanding that Sophia will be going to Texas for some radical Chemo Treatments to attempt to put it in check.
They have found two possible donors, one is a stem cell donor.

My little one and wife spent the day on Sunday with Sophie and her Mom, she and my daughter had a great time together. Their Family is holding strong from what I hear and Sophie is a brave little girl, just wanting to play and be a kid.
-Tommy A-

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:I will call the Mother and get the info tomorrow.

as for an update
It is my understanding that Sophia will be going to Texas for some radical Chemo Treatments to attempt to put it in check.
They have found two possible donors, one is a stem cell donor.

My little one and wife spent the day on Sunday with Sophie and her Mom, she and my daughter had a great time together. Their Family is holding strong from what I hear and Sophie is a brave little girl, just wanting to play and be a kid.
Tom, PLS let me know if I can be of any help. I can raise a small army willing to donate if necessary.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Return to “BF Site Gives Back”