VIEW ALL NEW POSTS HERE - Click Here


Rapala Magnum

  [ View new posts ]

How to do it, What to use.
" Please when starting a Help thread to keep in mind to have me make it a sticky if it is on a specific method " Makes them easier to find

Rapala Magnum

Postby N1ck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Anyone know the best way to rig this lure so they can track perfect and be trolled without popping out the water even at speeds like 10 knots? hope someone has some ideas and can help me out , thanks guys
N1ck
Fisher
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Rapala Magnum

Postby mogenmyle » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 pm

u maybe going too fast or need to waight it down. if you hold it close too the boat and it runs tru try the first 2 if it wants too ride its side too the left or the right get you pliers and tweek the nose ring in the oppiset direction and it should run tru u may have to play with it a couple of times befor u figure it out
Image
User avatar
mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 pm
Location: out there

Re: Rapala Magnum

Postby N1ck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:09 am

Problem is, i never trolled it yet. and im trolling from a party boat , i know ur probably thinking omg tangles. but i have seen other people troll them perfectly fine as long as you dont put it too far out so my idea is to try it out only when theirs max 2 people trolling so i can get an idea how it works and then find out if i can troll it or not. My question is, i have a 6/0 spooled with 100lb braid, do i just go braid to swivel, to wire, to lure, or make around a 10ft leader and then the wire.
N1ck
Fisher
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:12 am

Re: Rapala Magnum

Postby fishnfool73 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 am

I would avoid them on partyboats. Trying to get them to track right on a boat like that can be difficult. I'd troll a mindless lure like a cedar plug or Billybait.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.
User avatar
fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM
 
Posts: 8833
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:18 am

Re: Rapala Magnum

Postby Backwoods123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am

the boats going to fast for the lure... they have different lip sizes that will do better going faster or slower, but if i were you id ditch the magnum.... i worked on a drift boat for 5 years... and i would never use anything besides a billy bait mini turbo slammer (80 percent of the time) or a cedar plug the other 20% when i know there are tuna around.... but the billy bait will be your best best ive caught everything from.... tuna,dolphin,kings,wahoo,sails, ect...
Backwoods123
Old Salt
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: Rapala Magnum

Postby N1ck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Ye i get your point, my idea is to run my billy bait from the dock to the first reef, then from reef to reef run the magnum, and on the way back to the dock run a billy bait again.
I went out Tuesday and it tracked perfect even going at 8-10 knots
N1ck
Fisher
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:12 am


Return to Boat Fishing Info, How tos and methods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest