SWFL HELP! - I promise not to be too much of a noob...

Dust8713
Fisher

SWFL HELP! - I promise not to be too much of a noob...

Post by Dust8713 »

Hi! First off, thanks for clicking. I am an avid angler from Indiana. I have never saltwater fished and am taking a trip down to Ft. Myers over the week of Thanksgiving. I plan on surf fishing during my stay. I have done lots of research and have hopefully enough knowledge base (reading shore, rigs, species...etc) to land some fun. My main question is what should I target mid to late November. Obviously, I would love to catch some Pomp, but I'm reading conflicting information about how prevalent they are during that time. I have looked up swfl fising seasons and seen lots of charts, but most of them are just listing broad "fair" conditions for lots of different species. I would love to catch anything while there, but if there is a species that I could also harvest and eat, I would love that even more. So far, I have only found that Jack Crevalle is not good to eat?
I am almost finished building my beach cart set up - a couple 9' rod and reel (5000-6000) combos and a smaller 7' combo for closer guts/troughs, 20-30lb test mono(?), circle hooks, pyramid and breakaway sinkers...etc. I'm familiar with most leader rigs, but looks like a combination of fish finder rig, carolina, and pompano rigs are the way to go. My only other question in that regard- if there is a good chance to catch pomp while I'm there- can you use multiple hooks on your leader? According to MYFWC, multiple hooks are not a legal means to catch them, but I'm reading articles and seeing multiple videos of fishing them this way. Am I missing something? Thank you for any help and info you're willing to share. I'm happy to return the favor, but lets be honest, no one vacations to Indiana... :salut:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: SWFL HELP! - I promise not to be too much of a noob...

Post by krash »

Good luck, its hit and miss that time of year, we could have great summer weather or windy choppy cool/cold front weather.

The Gulf is shallow much farther than you can cast.

Most people targeting Pompano would be using much lighter equipment like 7' rods with 10-20 pound braid and fluro leaders. Idk the season for them over there (Ft. Meyers).
Favorite baits are Sand Fleas raked up on the beach, or Doc's Goofy jigs.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”