Mangrove Snapper... Where are they biting?

Omsquad
Fisher

Mangrove Snapper... Where are they biting?

Post by Omsquad »

Guys, looking for some mangrove snapper or similar fish around Miami. Any suggestions?
I caught some small snapper & Jacks at Matheson Marina. Catch & Release. If they are bigger, then definitely keep.

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Re: Mangrove Snapper... Where are they biting?

Post by Moose »

Omsquad wrote:Guys, looking for some mangrove snapper or similar fish around Miami. Any suggestions?
I caught some small snapper & Jacks at Matheson Marina. Catch & Release. If they are bigger, then definitely keep.
Honestly, there are not many public spots in Miami where you will catch keeper snaps. Thing is, the spots that are holding are usually illegal to fish. That being said, no one is going to give you their honey hole without much contribution to the forum.

Now, i'll say this: the snapper are about to start feeding in the bay (they're starting to show already) to fatten up for the summer spawn. So use light tackle with small hooks (1/0-2/0) and light leader (15-20lb) with little weight (lightest possible to get it down) and just try different spots till you find them.

Now if you wanna try a public spot you can always head down to the keys...read this...technique is different off a bridge but still not too hard.

http://www.boatlessfishing.com/forum/vi ... =12&t=1045

islamorada is where the first fishing bridges start

Night time is almost ALWAYS better for snapper as they are picky sometimes and can be leader shy.

Omsquad
Fisher

Re: Mangrove Snapper... Where are they biting?

Post by Omsquad »

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely contribute what I can to the forum. I will also read the article. Thanks again.

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”