bridge tarpon

grouperking
Old Salt

bridge tarpon

Post by grouperking »

okay guys so ive been fishing down at ch.5 and I was freelining some live shrimp for tarpon and I hooked up into about 10 of them but the problem is i cant seem to bring them up next to the bridge for a pic.

my set-up is so:
shimano calcutta with 45lb braid green color(yomumi something like that) and a heavy ation rod 10lb-60lb
lmk if im my tackle is good or if i can change anything in my tackle. :happyfisherman: :reeling:

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: bridge tarpon

Post by cvstrat »

It's very hard land one. You're gonna need the fish to either run into open or switch to mono. Still you need some muscle to whip them before they run you into a piling.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

grouperking wrote:okay guys so ive been fishing down at ch.5 and I was freelining some live shrimp for tarpon and I hooked up into about 10 of them but the problem is i cant seem to bring them up next to the bridge for a pic.

my set-up is so:
shimano calcutta with 45lb braid green color(yomumi something like that) and a heavy ation rod 10lb-60lb
lmk if im my tackle is good or if i can change anything in my tackle. :happyfisherman: :reeling:
What size Calcutta? How much line can it hold?

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

fishboy wrote:
grouperking wrote:okay guys so ive been fishing down at ch.5 and I was freelining some live shrimp for tarpon and I hooked up into about 10 of them but the problem is i cant seem to bring them up next to the bridge for a pic.

my set-up is so:
What size Calcutta? How much line can it hold?
size 400 calcutta and it takes:
Power Pro Line Capacity (# Test/Yards)
50/305,65/180,80/160
Mono Line Capacity (# Test/Yards)
12/330, 14/260, 20/160

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Any bridge tarpon over 50 lbs is tough to land regardless of tackle. Try fishing from the shore for them. You will still lose them but have a much better chance than on the bridge.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

fishnfool73 wrote:Any bridge tarpon over 50 lbs is tough to land regardless of tackle. Try fishing from the shore for them. You will still lose them but have a much better chance than on the bridge.
any idea if there is a place to fish for them near channel 5

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

OH Cjit

He gonna get spooled on that one LOL
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Same place Herbert was telling me where he was throwing poppers at them?

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

grouperking wrote:
fishnfool73 wrote:Any bridge tarpon over 50 lbs is tough to land regardless of tackle. Try fishing from the shore for them. You will still lose them but have a much better chance than on the bridge.
any idea if there is a place to fish for them near channel 5
Tarpon are at every bridge in the Keys where the water is over 4 ft deep.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thanks for everyone that replyed(especially rare) but the more help i get the better chance i might catch one

btw anyone tried using DOA terrorizers? heard the worked awesome :bounce:

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

The DOAs in rootbeer work well for tarpon and snook.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

fishnfool73 wrote:The DOAs in rootbeer work well for tarpon and snook.
is the black top white bottom any good?

Sirsnookalot
KING MACKEREL

Post by Sirsnookalot »

Lifting tarpon 50# is no easy task, I have seen it done from jetties but not a bridge. Personally I only fish tarpon from boat or beach, jetties are ok if it's possible to get over the side and land it on the beach.
What some else chooses to do is up to them, the FWC does not want tarpon over 40" out of the water, even for photo op.

"People will be allowed to temporarily possess a tarpon for photography, measurement of length and girth and scientific sampling, with the stipulation that tarpon more than 40 inches must remain in the water".

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Sirsnookalot wrote:Lifting tarpon 50# is no easy task, I have seen it done from jetties but not a bridge. Personally I only fish tarpon from boat or beach, jetties are ok if it's possible to get over the side and land it on the beach.
What some else chooses to do is up to them, the FWC does not want tarpon over 40" out of the water, even for photo op.

"People will be allowed to temporarily possess a tarpon for photography, measurement of length and girth and scientific sampling, with the stipulation that tarpon more than 40 inches must remain in the water".
thanks for the facts man :salut:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

If you lift a fish out by its jaw bigger than that, it will more than likely die... Look at what GK did with his buddy, that is the PROPER way to handle a tarpon bigger than 40"! Go get em! I had a 70 lbs+ fish landed the other day, next to me, but gave him my jig so I wouldn't hurt it.

-swordfish

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

swordfish wrote:If you lift a fish out by its jaw bigger than that, it will more than likely die... Look at what GK did with his buddy, that is the PROPER way to handle a tarpon bigger than 40"! Go get em! I had a 70 lbs+ fish landed the other day, next to me, but gave him my jig so I wouldn't hurt it.

-swordfish
thanks for the advice

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”