SQUIDS

RR-WELL
Fisher

SQUIDS

Post by RR-WELL »

Last weekend I was at the Skyway fishing pier by Tampa bay. It was a cold 57 deg F and did not catch anything.
Late that afternoon this guy shows up next to us and I see him pulling something out of the water almost with every cast. I approach him and he was pulling out nice size squids with a jig. Anyone knows if there might be squid catching activity in the Southeast coast? Palm Beach down to the keys. I'm waiting for some jigs to come from Japan and input is welcomed Thanks.

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Re: SQUIDS

Post by Jabie1313 »

I am eager to hear a response on this post! I have had the same question. Are there ever any near-shore squid around? It would be great to know what time of year and where. I live in S. ft Lauderdale and do see squid snatching jigs hanging on the walls of local bait shops so there must be a reason they stock them.
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I've seen cuttlefish caught off the piers, but not your classic squid like the ones they sell for bait.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I've seen glowing squid sometimes hug the pier pylons at Anglins but nothing in big numbers.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BEOWULF wrote:I've seen cuttlefish caught off the piers, but not your classic squid like the ones they sell for bait.

Sure it wasnt squid? Look up a "Reef Squid" they kind of look like cuttlefish. They dont live in our part of the world but anything is possible

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

anas473 wrote:I've seen glowing squid sometimes hug the pier pylons at Anglins but nothing in big numbers.
Could be a glowing jellyfish?

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Kinda crazy but I saw dude crushing them off the Navarre pier this afternoon. You could see them stacked up under the pier. I had never seen that until today.

I'm pretty sure they were squid not cuttlefish. That being said I've never seen it done down that way.

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

We catch them here at the cape.... I don't remember how many we caught one nite trying to catch baitfish :shock: the funny part is when they pee all over you.... LOL..
I also caught them while netting shrimp In the ICW.... i always tell people> its freaking Florida and you never know what you will pull out of the water... :mrgreen:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Going back to some of my pics it looks like when the shrimp are pushing through and this time of year they show up in bigger numbers. This was the one i caught on one of the bridges in South Beach when the shrimp were running and i was jumping poon in march. They were all over going after my shrimp

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

tears143 wrote:
anas473 wrote:I've seen glowing squid sometimes hug the pier pylons at Anglins but nothing in big numbers.
Could be a glowing jellyfish?
Definitely was not a jellyfish, It may have been a cuttlefish but judging from the long slender body and its undulating motion I am going to assume that it was a lone squid.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

As Rare stated there are no cuttle fish in the Atlantic. What we see on local piers are these generally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Reef_Squid
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

anas473 wrote:I've seen glowing squid sometimes hug the pier pylons
Bioluminescence

On a side note: The guys who go fishing in the keys very often get to see that blues/greens glow by bioluminescent. There is nothing like it when it's dark out in the keys and that water starts glowing like a neon street light for hours.....oh and the fishing..... (tommy

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Agree. So magical that once you see it in real time you never forget the moment. Floating on the black ocean at night and seeing that carpet I have never felt that peaceful in my life. Thanks Rare
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

RR-WELL
Fisher

Post by RR-WELL »

Thanks for comments.
the image posted is what I'm looking for for ceviche and grilling

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”