Winter land based fishing

self amused
Fisher

Winter land based fishing

Post by self amused »

I know that the best way to find out how to catch certain species is by trial and error but all land based dishing I've done has been for snook and tarpon during the summer months and mullet run. So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of pompano, sheepshead and any other good tasting inshore species and where I can find them and how to target them. Any information would help so thanks in advance. I'm located in boca but any area in south Florida would help (I don't mean spots I'm just talking generalized area)

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Winter land based fishing

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

U have deerfield, pompano and juno pier near you...all should hold winter migratory fish now and into the spring. Good luck!

self amused
Fisher

Post by self amused »

thanks for the reply everything helps :D, ill be sure to head over and check out some of them, I've fished Juno and pompano during summer but I've never given it a shot during winter.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Wherever you decide to fish, just find the oldest local bait store in the area. Ask them where the action is and what you have to buy from them to get into the game. Amazing the Intel people are willing to share with Mr. Green. Crew at Juno Bait are top shelf.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

ftlfish1
Fisher

Post by ftlfish1 »

you can find big sheepshead on the sea walls of the intercoastal. maybe use fiddler crabs or barnacles.

go to a pier or surf fish early morning for pompano and use fleas

self amused
Fisher

Post by self amused »

thanks for the replies guys I found a good spot for sheepshead but can't get my hands on any crabs and I'm gonna try that tackle shop idea as its a good tip

Topcat
Fisher

Post by Topcat »

My girlfriends daughter is renting a home on the inter-coastal just north of Hugh Taylor Park by about 1/4 mile - The grand-kids (5&9) are coming and I thought it would be a great thing to try some fishing, crabbing, shrimping with them but I know zero about this type of fishing - I do off the beach with my kayak for all kinds of fish but never here - they will be here in March for school break - any and all help is welcome

Thanks in advance guys & girls

Mr.correa99
Fisher

Post by Mr.correa99 »

Topcat wrote:My girlfriends daughter is renting a home on the inter-coastal just north of Hugh Taylor Park by about 1/4 mile - The grand-kids (5&9) are coming and I thought it would be a great thing to try some fishing, crabbing, shrimping with them but I know zero about this type of fishing - I do off the beach with my kayak for all kinds of fish but never here - they will be here in March for school break - any and all help is welcome

well I know that the intercoastal of this area has a nice amount of blue crabs in those waters. Take your shot at them with chicken drums or ham hocks (tied extremely well) on a line. once you see the line has tension pull it in at a nice steady pace and scoop em up with your net. You can tell if its a crab because you can feel it pulling back and moving around. As for fish, there may not be much maybe some jack crevalle, stingray, snook, or occasional mangrove snapper moving through but generally speaking theres not much. hope this helped, GOODLUCK ! :thumleft:

Topcat
Fisher

Post by Topcat »

Mr.correa99 wrote:
Topcat wrote:My girlfriends daughter is renting a home on the inter-coastal just north of Hugh Taylor Park by about 1/4 mile - The grand-kids (5&9) are coming and I thought it would be a great thing to try some fishing, crabbing, shrimping with them but I know zero about this type of fishing - I do off the beach with my kayak for all kinds of fish but never here - they will be here in March for school break - any and all help is welcome

well I know that the intercoastal of this area has a nice amount of blue crabs in those waters. Take your shot at them with chicken drums or ham hocks (tied extremely well) on a line. once you see the line has tension pull it in at a nice steady pace and scoop em up with your net. You can tell if its a crab because you can feel it pulling back and moving around. As for fish, there may not be much maybe some jack crevalle, stingray, snook, or occasional mangrove snapper moving through but generally speaking theres not much. hope this helped, GOODLUCK ! :thumleft:

Thank you - sounds right

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”