Small shark fishing around Fort Lauderdale ?

riverking
Fisher

Small shark fishing around Fort Lauderdale ?

Post by riverking »

Hi Guys ! I need help , I'm traveling to Fort Lauderdale first week of july and I'm looking forward to catch my first shark ever (sorry for my english , I'm french Canadian). I was wondering if someone could help me out ? I would like to catch a small shark ( nurse shark or something like that) ...not too big...because I don't have a very big setup since I'm traveling by plane. If someone can give me some place where I could go fishing around FT Lauderdale, I would really appreciate it ! thanks guys

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Small shark fishing around Fort Lauderdale ?

Post by fishnfool73 »

Anglins or Dania piers are about your only local options.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

I will have a car so I can go farther if I need to. Thanks for your answer , any ring and bait suggestions?

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

You can get a good shot at catching a nurse at Dania Pier. Just need to fish a dead bait on the bottom mullet or pilchard work well. Most will be in the 2 to 3 foot size range, but occasionally you might catch a larger one. Not much of a challenge though, kind like pulling in a 5 gallon bucket filled with sea water.
Fish Crazy

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

Ok great! I will try a bottom ring with a cut bait, for the weight on the rig, how many oz do I need? Thanks

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

I always use just enough weight to keep me secured to the bottom. It really depends on the current and conditions. I use the least amount of weight possible to hold my bait in position on the bottom. Just my take.
Fish Crazy

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

ok ! thanks dude ! :reeling:

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

That would be cool , but I don'T think my rod can handle it haha. I will have 2 Kastking 9ft telescopic rod and I have a shimano ultrega 10 000 and a kastking sharky II 4000. I have stronger 13 ft rod at home but I can't take them with me on the plane. what do you think ?

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

Good I have 50lb braid on, the only problem will be landing the shark lol if I'm on Anglins Pier, I have ordered a drop net but I dont know if it will be strong enought hehe

bluesea
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bluesea »

PaulieBoy wrote:John Loyd State Park which is down the street from dania will give you a really good chance at a 4-5ft blacktip or bullshark.

:stupid: :stupid:
a lot blacktips close to shore. Fish from the beach it is much relaxing lol. just deploy the bait and then relax at the beach.
If you decide to go to the park and fish from the beach send me a pm. I usually go to the park very often and most of the time I take my small kayak which you can use to deploy the bait.

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

Perfect Bluesea ! I will let you know, but I don't think my rod can handle a blacktip hhahahaha

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Try port Everglades south inlet if all else fails. You can access it through John u Lloyd state park, same as the beach. You'll be in a decent spot as Fania pier is the south end of the beach with the jetty the north end. You can fish the pier, the beach, or the jetty. The pier has separate metered parking. Night time is best for sharks but some days they're all you catch. Best o luck.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

riverking
Fisher

Post by riverking »

Perfect! Thanks for your help!

Return to “Species info--Dedicated to Targeting”