How do you cast conventionals without burning your thumb?

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
BigBoiFishing
With skills like these "Who needs a boat"

Re: How do you cast conventionals without burning your thumb?

Post by BigBoiFishing »

When I 1st get to my fishing location I dip my thumb in water & cast out with no bait. I reel it in & now my casting distance in line is wet. From then on I do not burn my thumb but every once in a while I'll spit on my thumb for lube :thumright: .

Lately, I've developed a calist so no burning there. It also has to do with the amount pressure you apply to the spool with your thumb.

At the beginning I used to get burned a lot because I was learning. After the a while......no burns....no bird nests....just great casting.

Cliche time........"Practice makes perfect."

Hope this helps, its not as hard as it seems. It took me two fishing excursions to get it down pat.

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

Let me add the following.......

The ingredient I mastered 1st in the recipe of fishing is casting. Whether on my 15ft rod equipped with my Squidder or my 6ft rod with a spinning reel. It is the most important function as a shore bound fisherman.

I enjoy casting challenges, either distance or accuracy, its my domain.

Have fun casting your conventional. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Besides the rigging & fighting, I enjoy casting the most. :reeling:

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

Damn I suck on explaining on just one post.

Also if it helps, I keep the sinker close to the top guide when casting "conventionally" per se'. Others might execute it differently, but I feel when casting conventionals its best to use the length of the rod in comparison to the momentum of the "swing" like a spinning reel cast technique.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

no need to spit on your thumb on some reels. dont thumb the line. depending on the reel you can thumb the actual spool on the side. what reel isit?
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

JackJack
Uncle Snook

Post by JackJack »

Hey Big Boi,
On your squidder, when you have pressure on during the retrieve, do you feel or hear a growl or an rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound when you reel in under tension? I dont get that with my old jigmaster, but I do get it with my old 1/0 and my squidder. I was wondering if that is normal or if i should think about replacing the gears. They dont look worn, just wondering if they are cut that way.
2009 Catch To Date
Centropomus Undecimalis-4
Scomberomorus Maculatus-10
Scomberomorus Cavalla-8
Thunnus Atlanticus-2
Lutjanus Analis -1
small Lutjanus Griseus-too many

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

JackJack wrote:Hey Big Boi,
On your squidder, when you have pressure on during the retrieve, do you feel or hear a growl or an rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound when you reel in under tension? I dont get that with my old jigmaster, but I do get it with my old 1/0 and my squidder. I was wondering if that is normal or if i should think about replacing the gears. They dont look worn, just wondering if they are cut that way.
The only noise I get from my Squidder is the clicker when it goes off on fish hook ups. On casting its just the peeling out, on the retrieve with tension no sound at all. When I get hooked up at my grouper spot, my gears slip on the 20#ers & it does make a noise similar to a screeching sound, which is why I'm getting a Penn Senator next week.

I think 1, hopefully you're getting that sound because of big fish hook ups (whiich the 140 can't muscle) OR your Squidder has wear & tear.

I think you should PM either CubanExpress or pier-aficionado.......they have a vast knowledge on reels.

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

BRunner346 wrote:no need to spit on your thumb on some reels. dont thumb the line. depending on the reel you can thumb the actual spool on the side. what reel isit?
B has a point, on my Squidder you have no choice but to "thumb" the spool but on other conventionals it may differ.

Brunner, which conventional do you cast? Only asking bcuz I'm getting a Senator next week & it differs from what I'm used to.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

You should not be burning the skin off your thumb when casting. You are apply to much thumb pressure on the spool because you are afraid of backlashing. Do not force your cast. Cast as far within your comfort skill level. Practice will allow you to cast further. Everyone is always in a rush not willing to take their time to develop their skills. If your reel has a cast control this help control the speed of your spool. Also, your casting stroke might be too abrupt and not allowing the rod time to load up can cause backlash. Last, when you thumb your spool move your thumb side to side and you will not burn your thumb.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

bolo wrote:You should not be burning the skin off your thumb when casting. You are apply to much thumb pressure on the spool because you are afraid of backlashing. Do not force your cast. Cast as far within your comfort skill level. Practice will allow you to cast further. Everyone is always in a rush not willing to take their time to develop their skills. If your reel has a cast control this help control the speed of your spool. Also, your casting stroke might be too abrupt and not allowing the rod time to load up can cause backlash. Last, when you thumb your spool move your thumb side to side and you will not burn your thumb.
:stupid: :stupid: At the beginning I usually burned my thumb in fear of a backlash that results in a bird's nest. Thats what is happening. BTW clearing a bird's nest is another factor you'll be "2nd nature" about.

Just practice.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I bought a leather thumb guard when I first started getting into casting conventionals. It is an old timers secret and not a lot of people use them anymore. It taught me how much pressure to use on the side of the spool to slow the reel down without killing my thumb. After a few trips no longer needed it.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BigBoiFishing

Post by BigBoiFishing »

fishnfool73 wrote:I bought a leather thumb guard when I first started getting into casting conventionals. It is an old timers secret and not a lot of people use them anymore. It taught me how much pressure to use on the side of the spool to slow the reel down without killing my thumb. After a few trips no longer needed it.
We're too tough for "leather thumb guards" sir. :rambo:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Then bleed , blister , and biatch tough guy. :mrgreen:
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

:uplol: i dont have any prob there
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

BRunner346 wrote::uplol: i dont have any prob there
Spincast reels don't count, Princess.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

:thumleft: glad it worked for you

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Re: How do you cast conventionals without burning your thumb

Post by chris21 »

I bought a roll of durable sports tape at walgreens and I always wrap it around my thumb and index finger before I begin fishing. The tape on my thunmb is very very durable and will not fall apart even after repeated casts with my conventional surf rod, and the tape on my index is when im casting my surf spinning outfits which prevents a nasty cut from the line.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Charlie2
Weekend Warrior

Post by Charlie2 »

I have been casting with conventional reels for some 70+ years and wish that I could tell you how, but I can't.

I still thumb the spool during the cast just enough to stop the action if a 'professional overrun' should occur.

My greatest concern is the shock leader knot. Having torn the bottom of my thumb several times, I reel my line in as to place the shock leader knot to the side of the spool where my thumb doesn't rest.

I still fish with a magged squidder which helps some. JMHO C2
A Game Law Violator is a Thief

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

Charlie2 wrote: I reel my line in as to place the shock leader knot to the side of the spool where my thumb doesn't rest.
That'a a great tip! I haven't tore my thumb up on a knot, but I suspect it's because I can't cast that far yet :mrgreen:

The only time I burnt my thumb, and it smarts, was when a tuna slammed my bait just as it hit the water and took off like a rocket. I still had the reel in freespool and tried to slow it down :oops:
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

mmcauliffe
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by mmcauliffe »

Rijkaard wrote:
mmcauliffe wrote: The only time I burnt my thumb, and it smarts, was when a tuna slammed my bait just as it hit the water and took off like a rocket. I still had the reel in freespool and tried to slow it down :oops:
tuna at warp speed vs your thumb.... OUCH!!!!
One of my more memoral googan moments :D
The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Ouch..thats a mistake you'll only make once. Putting your shock leader knot to the side of your spool works well, I do the same on my surf rods.

David McCoy
Fisher

Post by David McCoy »

You shouldn't need to put your thumb on the spool after the release until the weight approaches the water; just don't have the knot where the shock leader is attached in the center of the spool for the release. This will hurt your thumb a little bit. The key is to load up and come off clean and smooth. Jerking WILL cause a backlash. Also you need to have the line tight on the reel. If the line is wound uneven or loose you are asking for problems. The following link takes you to a long cast how to. http://breakawayusa.com/howto.htm

I just built a couple of long cast rigs from 13' 3 to 6 oz Tommy Farmer blanks with Abu CT C3 Mag elite reels. I took them apart out of the box and tuned them. I can get nearly 300' and I don't touch the spool until the sinker almost hits the water.
For practice I took mine to a local park; drilled a hole in a golf ball and inserted a weight. This keeps the weight from imbedding in the ground. Like some one else posted practice makes prefect. Don't forget to bring a knife and some extra line, I still do. LOL

jonboat
Fisher

Post by jonboat »

OK, stupid question coming up... What the H3LL is a "conventional" reel? Sounds a lot like what I call a baitcaster. Are they the same thing? If not, what is the difference?

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

BCers are in the group. It is a revolving spool reel like penn 4/0

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

jonboat
Fisher

Post by jonboat »

hmmmm... I wonder if I could get away with using my Diawa Sealine trolling reel with the clicker off for surf casting when we hit Sanibel in August. Might have to tie on a couple ounces of lead and head for the back yard to give it a try. It would be good to have extra "options".

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

It's the same problem that everyone has , when learning the secrets of casting . I learned long ago that by placing your thumb against the side of the spool , insted of being on the line , the amount of heat is greatly reduced . You will probably have to place your thumb on the line , at the side of the spool , when starting the cast . As you release the bait , switch the contact of your thumb from the line and spool to only the spool . Sounds tricky , but in actuality it's very easy .

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Your actual hands/fingers conditions also play a role so for those with hands like mine it doesnt bother me to stop my 4/0 with 50 lb test or a smaller with 20lb. Different for everyone, just find what works.

bait shooter
Fisher

Post by bait shooter »

fishnfool73 wrote:I bought a leather thumb guard when I first started getting into casting conventionals. It is an old timers secret and not a lot of people use them anymore. It taught me how much pressure to use on the side of the spool to slow the reel down without killing my thumb. After a few trips no longer needed it.
I made the mistake of using one of those , when shark fishing . I had been getting my thumb burned from applying extra drag when the fish took off on a run . The only problem was that it caused my line to overheat , and actually melt , loosing the fish . Went back to happily getting my thumb burned . :auto:

Return to “How To's Articles”