Washing Reels.

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
snookabogus

Washing Reels.

Post by snookabogus »

I wash my reel down everytime I am done fishing and it seems to always be dirty after. I tried washing the whole thing down with water, then wiping it down with a cloth. And it still looks like it has crap all over it. Any ideas on what I should do ?

scout04
Fisher

Re: Washing Reels.

Post by scout04 »

snookabuser wrote:I wash my reel down everytime I am done fishing and it seems to always be dirty after. I tried washing the whole thing down with water, then wiping it down with a cloth. And it still looks like it has crap all over it. Any ideas on what I should do ?
depends on what type of reels you are talking about - if they are spinners you can take a very mild dishwashing soap solution and sponge them off then rinse with a garden hose (no nozzle). if they are conventional reels you can do the same thing to the outside. once they are rinsed clean of soap (again - no nozzle) you can tighten down the drags and completely dunk them in a freshwater bath. pull them out and give them a few cranks of the handle and let them dry. make sure once they are dry to set the drags back to as loose as they will go or to free spool. you can also wipe down the outsides with a little pledge furniture polish or give them a light coat of automotive wax and polish off. i would focus mainly on the mild soap rinse after a few trips and save the more detailed cleaning after your last trip before you tear them down to do internal maintenance. once they are maintenanced thoroughly it will increase the time you can go between cleanings - especially after all bearing have been gone thru and internals greased and lubricated properly. good wintertime projects when your suck at home with nothing else to do.

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

also you can use the penn rod and reel clearner , i have been useing it for about 4 years now and havent had any problems with it and it has protectints in it to help the rod and the line thats on the reel , but if you start useing it i would keep up with it and do it about ever 3 to 4 uses and it will help a lot

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

i always flush them with fresh water,sometimes i spray them with crc and dry them .

i have a question what about if the reel goes under saltwater .this what i did. i dip them in fresh water joe's advise.but it think im going to open them clean them and grease them.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

no escape guys i open one had salty water inside clean grease dry drag washers in all my live fishing first time 5 reels drown in salt water. :? i got two more .

snookabogus

Post by snookabogus »

I have the saltist (spinning) 500h. So if i lock the drag all the way and dunk in freshwater bucket, That should be fine? Should i dry it at all?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

If I am fishing off the pier or bridge I do not spray or wipe down unless it is full of blood or scales. I only spray down if I am fishing off the boat. Hose it down with freshwater and wipe it down. My reels are made of bar stock aluminum so I am not worry about rust.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

snookabogus

Post by snookabogus »

Its usually my handle, rod, and top of reel by the drag. Maybe ill just wipe those 3 spots down really good.

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

snookabuser wrote:Its usually my handle, rod, and top of reel by the drag. Maybe ill just wipe those 3 spots down really good.
You can lube certain areas with the reel lube your reel provides. If not hot sauce from Quantum is very good stuff. I spray WD40 on a towel and wipe down on my reel. WD40 is water soluble and will not hurt your reel or fishing line.

TeEnAnGlerPro213
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by TeEnAnGlerPro213 »

bolo wrote: I spray WD40 on a towel and wipe down on my reel. WD40 is water soluble and will not hurt your reel or fishing line.
ditto!
"If people concentrated on the really important things of life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -Doug Larson

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

snookabuser wrote:I have the saltist (spinning) 500h. So if i lock the drag all the way and dunk in freshwater bucket, That should be fine? Should i dry it at all?

i will dry the drag washers so drag work properly .remerber you only need dip in fresh water if your reel sumerge in salt water like mine did.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

w40 0r crc works i have seing the charters crew flush with water the reels and spray them those mention .and they catch fish i try not to do it often tho only when needed.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

rob762 wrote:Wd 40 works well as does the penn reel cleaner.

For the record, wd40 is not water soluble..far from it... mixture of aliphatic hydrocarbons and petroleum based oil compounds.... I try to keep it far from any fishing line...
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/ms ... 716385.pdf
Rob's right! The WD stands for Water Displacement. The 40 is the test compound #. Meaning they tried 39 others before they got it right.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

rob762 wrote:Wd 40 works well as does the penn reel cleaner.

For the record, wd40 is not water soluble..far from it... mixture of aliphatic hydrocarbons and petroleum based oil compounds.... I try to keep it far from any fishing line...
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/ms ... 716385.pdf

Rob question what will do to the line? is it the scent?

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

My mistake, water displacement is what I meant to say. Thanks Rob and Crash.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

I usually spray my reels after every trip with fresh water and then wipe them down. When the fish gunk gets bad I have a soft large car brush I use with light biodegradable soap from whole foods I use on the whole set up. I crank down the drag and then I spray the rods and don't use the nozel on the reels. Then I wipe all down with a rag.Keeps my gear shiney and bright. I also use the hot sauce when needed. I have all spinning gear and have been doing this for many years with no problems. I have aluminum cleaner for my forged reels when they need a buff up. WD40 I use on my cutting gear after cleaning my knife, pliers and scissors. Keeps everything rust free and ready for the next trip.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

Hot sauce what does it do?i only used for tacos . :D

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Hot Sauce, great on eggs in the morning too.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

rshields wrote:Hot Sauce, great on eggs in the morning too.

serious what is it good for ? :scratch:

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

permitchaser wrote:Hot sauce what does it do?i only used for tacos . :D
That is what I thought when I first heard it. It is a reel lube made from Quantum. It looks like hot sauce.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

Great lube. Hot red color and it adheres a barrier to where you put it lasts a long time and works great.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

rshields wrote:Great lube. Hot red color and it adheres a barrier to where you put it lasts a long time and works great.

:salut: thanks

SquidLips
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SquidLips »

Believe it or not, furniture polish does the job greatly. Yeah, I know you probably think im crazy, but if you spray a light coat of furniture polish on your rod/reel it will disolve all the salt on it within like 2 hours and leaves no harmful effects to your pole. I found this out watching a fishing show.
-Shane-

Return to “How To's Articles”