Fishing in Current - understanding the "stack"

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
kahmad
Fisher

Fishing in Current - understanding the "stack"

Post by kahmad »

I am by no means an expert at anything, but I have caught my share of snook, tarpon, sharks, snapper etc around bridges with fast moving water. I feel like a lot of people don't understand the concept of the "stack" or don't know how useful it can be. I hope to help others learn the things it has taken me years to figure out for myself, because I sure as hell would have loved if someone had taught me when I first started.

We've all heard of fish "stacked up," but what exactly does this mean? It means there are multiple fish sitting in one place, waiting for food to come by. Fish stack up in areas with good water movement, because, obviously, this means more food will be passing by. Stacking up in fast current is the most efficient way for fish to eat - they expend virtually no energy chasing down their prey - it is literally swept into their mouths.

So how do we use this to our advantage? Well first off the fast current means the fish have a limited window of opportunity to eat so they won't be asking too many questions lest they miss their opportunity. Secondly, when fish are stacked up we can reliably predict where they will be sitting and how they will be oriented. The classic example is bridge fishing for snook. The fish will always be facing into the current and will be positioned in front of the structure. If there is a well defined shadow line, snook love to sit just shy of the lighted area, and down low. Additionally, any kind of bottleneck, like the freshwater culverts you see going under roads, are excellent places for fish to stack up around. In the case of a culvert, the fish can be both in front of and behind the culvert (so they will be facing into the current on both sides of the road. After a heavy rain when the spillways are open and the water is moving quickly through these culverts, you can catch many trophy largemouth bass, snook and tarpon by fishing these culverts.

Understanding the position of the fish is only part of the equation. The second part is figuring out the presentation. Any bait presented to stacked up fish will have to be the right size/shape as what the fish are expecting, will have to be fished at the right depth, and will have to be moving in a convincing manner. A lot of times when fishing with live mullet or live shrimp, the difference between a bite and a pass is if your live bait makes the right kind of movement (usually a desperate attempt to flee the predator) at the right time. A shrimp that is too lazy or a mullet that is too dead to bother trying to get away from the predator is useless. They will ignore it. Sometimes twitching the line a little just as you think the bait is approaching a stacked up fish will trigger the strike.

When dealing with bridges, like in the keys for example, how the fish will stack up dictates your preferred tidal movements. For example, channel two is absolutely useless to fish on an incoming tide because the tide is moving south to north - and the fishing bridge is to the north of the road bridge. You simply won't be able to present a bait to the fish that are facing into the current and in front of the road bridge. Long Key bridge, however, is the opposite. the fishing bridge is to the south of the road bridge, so you'll be able to fish long key bridge on an incoming tide. In my experience fish will eat on both an incoming and outgoing tide. They may be more finnicky on an incoming tide because of the clearer water but by downsizing your leader and being persistent you can coax them into a bite.

The last thing I want to mention is that a lot of bridges have sight fishing opportunities for stacked up fish. Seven Mile Bridge in marathon is a great example. If you go to seven mile bridge just before dark on a good outgoing tide (as in an hour or two after the high tide - that's when the water really starts to move) you can literally see the tarpon and sharks sitting there. This is the case for many bridges, especially in the keys. Throw a bait in front of them and let the current bring it back to you. With the right bait and the right presentation you will hook up - I guarantee it.

fishboy
Old Salt

Re: Fishing in Current - understanding the "stack"

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the informative post! This is really helpful!!

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Awesome post! :toast:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Thanks for taking the time for a great post. Makes me want to go now!

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

Great info - Thanks!

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Very good post, Thank you for sharing and many will benefit from your post. :toast: :toast:
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

rshields
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by rshields »

This was a great post. This is why we read this forum to get helpful tips from those sharing their experience.Thanks for taking the time and this will definitely help those who need tips on practical technique. I applaud your effort. Thanks :cheers:

jezratty
Old Salt

Post by jezratty »

great read!! thanks for all the info!! :toast:

gjb2107
Fisher

Post by gjb2107 »

Wow, many thanks. I'm new to the whole bridge fishing thing down here. This type of info is exactly why I joined the forum. Thank you!

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Oldie but goodie.. Should be a sticky. It is the vital key piece of information to fishing ANY and all structure... If you know and apply this to your fishing, your success rate WILL sky rocket! Most people who know about this keep it a well guarded secret.

-swordfish

Greensn95
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Greensn95 »

Good post.
HOLY MACKEREL!

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by keepinitreel »

not thats what Im talking about cant wait to hit the bridge at the keys up with all this useful knowledge and new gear :reeling:

YUDRAS
Weekend Warrior

Post by YUDRAS »

Great info! Thanks for the wisdom. :toast:

kahmad
Fisher

Post by kahmad »

You are all most welcome. I really feel like this is an important concept that people simply don't take into consideration. Of course presentation is always important, but if you keep casting to empty water or keep casting behind the fish you could have the latest most expensive lures on the market and still catch nothing but rocks.

Beeracuda
Fisher

Post by Beeracuda »

Sorry for firing up an old thread but now that I think I understand the concept of the stack, is there a particular rig and or lure that works best for fishing strong current? Also how do I make sure I'm fishing the right depth? Im definitely the guy that casts into current and hopes for the best, and sadly I'm usually just happy if I can get away with not getting hung up on something lol

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Wow....great article!
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Should be plenty of current this weekend with the full moon.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

B.O.S.zzzz
Fisher

Post by B.O.S.zzzz »

Wish I had known this last night lol. Awesome write up!!

Chasinpoons
Fisher

Post by Chasinpoons »

This was very informtative! I am going to long key bridge soon and I will implement your tactics! Thanks!

ELBRAVO
Fisher

Post by ELBRAVO »

Great post! Thank you for sharing.

MaisonKZ
Fisher

Post by MaisonKZ »

This post is great for newbie like me. Thanks for sharing.

BonFireBob
Fisher

Post by BonFireBob »

Have to agree with the rest - great post :-)
My name is Bob and I really like spending a lot of time fishing for carp, catfish, eal etc. in på spare time. I share my thoughts and experience at my outdoor blog. Feel free to write me if you are interessed in hearing more about my experience :-)

Return to “How To's Articles”