Quantum Cabo 60 meets big tarpon......

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
swordfish
SHARKER

Quantum Cabo 60 meets big tarpon......

Post by swordfish »

I love Quantum and have fished their products for 10 years without any complaints... Now I have a Cabo 60 that had the reel seat SNAP in two on a big tarpon (It really was massive, but still, this was weird) and the Cabo 40 that has the anti reverse out as well... Both brand new models, the 60 was bought 4 months ago, and the 40 under a year... Good lord... I hope they take care of me, or I'll be going over to the dark side for good (Shimano **cringe**)

Anyone had any experience with their warranty? Will I be without a reel for a while?

-Swordfish

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Quantum Cabo 60 meets big tarpon......

Post by fishnfool73 »

Tarpon won that one.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Yep... lol He sure did.

I emailed them... and now we wait...

-Swordfish

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Cabos in my opinion are over priced I have seen many people complain about them through the years and have witnessed both of my brothers' take collective caps after about a year. Me I prefer Shimano my stradic has caught many big snook,poon and Jacks through the years and it's still going strong and my go to set up. I think you should try something else. The Cabos just aren't dependable enough for the price.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

funny my buddy had the same thing happen to his but it was not from a fish if im right he dropped it
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Quantum has discontinued the Cabo. I dont see it anywhere on their website

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Moose wrote:correct me if i'm wrong, but i think Quantum has discontinued the Cabo. I dont see it anywhere on their website
Brother I think you are right... I hope they fix it, but looks like i'll start saving for a stella or a Staal... I've fished a staal before and I just dont feel it, I dunno, it feels rough to me. I tend to stick to what I know most of the time. Any of you gentlemen want to chime in on something equivalent? I love the bigger handle on these and the sheer brute stopping power they offer.

@ GK I keep thinking perhaps I dropped it or banged it up against something, but nothing comes to mind. The fish was head shaking when I felt the pop, she was a big gal.

In any case. Let's see how this one plays out, a 4 month old reel shouldn't fall apart like that, but perhaps that's why its going the way of the Dino?

-Swordfish

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The reason you feel tbe van Staal like that is because it's tight like fort Knox with water intrusion. Water tight sealed for the surf fisherman.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Rare wrote:The reason you feel tbe van Staal like that is because it's tight like fort Knox with water intrusion. Water tight sealed for the surf fisherman.

Ok, fair enough. Don't get me wrong it is a bad ass piece of hardware and stupid light... My question is, with time, use and lube, does it become smoother?

-Swordfish

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Unless you remove all the seals, I dont think so. My Penn Spinner torque 5 is the same way. I removed a few of the seals which made it less stiffy. I could take out a few more since i'm not surf fishing with this spinner and give it that extra smooth feel.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Try a saragosa sw would be the reel i would get if i had the need for another spinner not too bad on price either and Shimanos are smooth.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

That's just poorly cast metal, discontinuing the Cabo's not going to help Quantum if they don't fix their casting processes. There's plenty of better choices out there without going to a VS. Penn & Daiwa have some good offerings too. Heck, I have a Pflueger Medalist 6040 that totally kicks butt, stole it for $55 when they discontinued it. It's a salt water class, all metal, carbon fiber drag, 10 bearing workhorse!

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

that totally sucks!!!
I was just saying i have 15-20 year old shimano reels. i have beat these reels up all along are bridges and piers.. Now i have a couple new reels 3-6 months old. they look just as bad or worse as my older reels.. one of them is a cabo.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Im sorry but your wrong rare with use the reel does become smoother
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

gruntking wrote:Im sorry but your wrong rare with use the reel does become smoother
Smooth like a stella? :P Should have put i dont think it does another words i dont own one and really dont know. You do, so i take your word

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Fudge a Stella over priced Stradic
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Thx everyone for the input. Still haven't heard from them and I am already jonesing to go stick a fish.... lol I think once I fix it I'll start saving for the Staal... In our game, the way we do it we ask a LOT of our gear, cutting corners will lead to broken dreams lol. BTW Rare, my good buddy swears by the Spin fisher, but after readin Alan's review bud, its an over priced slammer with a few rubber gaskets... Nowhere near water sealed... The Staal VS250 is the only logical option I have no if I want to buy something that will last me for 10+ years without caring much what I can and can't do with it. Now... Convincing the wife that I need to drop 1k on a reel... that is the magic part... :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye: :eye:

All that being said, as a stop gap... How good are the Saragossas?

-Swordfish

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

swordfish wrote: How good are the Saragossas?

-Swordfish
A few guys i went jigging with the reels didnt hold up well after a boat load of reef donkeys. If i'm not mistaken the the handle was the issues on one and the other was the gears. Then, as i'm writing this i start putting things into perspective that they weren't that great's into taking care of their reels. Could it be a combo of the two things that made their gear give up? I don't know.... These were the older models gosa, i'm not talking about the SW version that is out now. I do own the older gosa as well, but top fish on that are AJs in the 30lb to 40lb zone jigging just a hand full of time, so not enough to tell you if they are great or not from me.

Which again brings me back into full circle on this. GK, is pretty much out on that water everyday and with him he has that van staal & calstar attached to his hip all the time. Fishing hard he does so that staal is holding up very well with the poons and snook. Then you will get another guy who tells you their gosa is a beast of a reel with no issues. He caught 70lb AJ with it. You keep digging and that AJ was caught 5years ago and hasnt been fishing since then. I think you understand where im going with this...lol

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Rare wrote:
swordfish wrote: How good are the Saragossas?

-Swordfish
A few guys i went jigging with the reels didnt hold up well after a boat load of reef donkeys. If i'm not mistaken the the handle was the issues on one and the other was the gears. Then, as i'm writing this i start putting things into perspective that they weren't that great's into taking care of their reels. Could it be a combo of the two things that made their gear give up? I don't know.... These were the older models gosa, i'm not talking about the SW version that is out now. I do own the older gosa as well, but top fish on that are AJs in the 30lb to 40lb zone jigging just a hand full of time, so not enough to tell you if they are great or not from me.

Which again brings me back into full circle on this. GK, is pretty much out on that water everyday and with him he has that van staal & calstar attached to his hip all the time. Fishing hard he does so that staal is holding up very well with the poons and snook. Then you will get another guy who tells you their gosa is a beast of a reel with no issues. He caught 70lb AJ with it. You keep digging and that AJ was caught 5years ago and hasnt been fishing since then. I think you understand where im going with this...lol
Yep, GK is definitely a poster child for that Staal, quality is quality that simple... It's settled then, time to make a penny jar LMAO.

Them big girls, the smart ones, don't jump... They dig in and methodically strip every bit of line you got on your reel while laughing at you... I love the challenge though, I've had quite a few next to me on the rocks, I just don't want to kill any. Maybe I'll fish 2 and try to beach one at Anne's. 7 mile is easy to hook em too, they eat anything you present well during the day.

-Swordfish

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

i have 3 saragosa sws. i have caught pretty large skipjack tunas with the 5k offshore and it was smooth as sht. i got a 10k for jigging, and liked em so much i just got an 8k

I dropped the 5000 in the sand, cleaned it out, and it works good as new.

I like them a lot, but thats just my 2 cents.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

It makes sense to me to just buy a $15 warranty if I get something from one of the big name stores. You don't have to worry about shipping it back to the manufacturer, instead just swap it out at the store the same day it breaks. I hate not having all my gear up to par, especially when I have the time to fish.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:It makes sense to me to just buy a $15 warranty if I get something from one of the big name stores. You don't have to worry about shipping it back to the manufacturer, instead just swap it out at the store the same day it breaks. I hate not having all my gear up to par, especially when I have the time to fish.
People keep telling me this Poseidon... Gearguard from BPS. How's that work? can you renew it once its getting close to the end? If it's as simple as it sounds it's ok to buy something relatively inexpensive...

-Swordfish

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

It doesn't have to be expensive to be durable. Take the Daiwa BG series for example. A bit outdated tech-wise, but great reels.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

It depends on what you have. I have the BPS warranty on my Loomis sabiki rod, and if it breaks they aren't replacing it at the store. They send you a UPS shipping label prepaid and you send it in. Sometime later they mail you a BPS gift card for the purchase price and you can go in and get a new one.

Honestly for gear that's going to get abused hard I could be worth it. I snapped the tip off of my Shimano jigging rod and I have to pray they decide to honor the warranty. It was on a fish, but in the kayak you sometimes bend the tips pretty hard if you're pulling the fish up to the yak and it takes off straight down. It's gonna probably cost me about 15 bucks to ship it out, and I have to wait weeks for Shimano to decide if they're going to replace it then ship it back. If they decline, you're just SOL. For the same rod you could just get the BPS gear guard and know that whatever happens it's covered. It only lasts for two years, but if you live near a Bass Pro, it could be the way to go.

Not I'm hours from the closest one, so I'll just take my chances on the warranty. It's also not bad for reels too, especially if you kayak fish since they're getting drenched in saltwater every time you go out. I clean them regularly, but you never know.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... gear-guard

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

idk if anyone of your know how I take care of my gear very rarely im seriously only when someone else does it does my gear get washed after a trip

hell I bet if you looked at my staal you could most likely shake salt off of it best reel ive ever owned hands down no arguments
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BS! I saw you spit shining that reel & making it shine as it was a new quarter out of the mint at the BBQ. Hell, saw you carrying it today as well with you (tommy

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

this is my rod there are many like it but this one is mine with out my rod I am nothing
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

:patriot:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

http://www.quantumfishing.com/products/ ... TS--E.aspx

Not to beat a dead horse... BUT just wanted to follow up. First of all, Cabo line is alive and WELL! Second I spent a couple hours reading Alan's reviews on pretty much all the top of the line players and I honestly cannot justify spending the money... SO for now, Cabo it is... I am just hoping I had a bad one. The reel reaches Quatum tomorrow and they were very nice and helpful, even concerned that I managed to break it in such a way (a little iffy lol). However, they said no issues, send it over and we shall replace it.

Smooth sailing so far. I figured I'd document my experience to pave the way in case anyone else needs to send theirs back...

-Swordfish

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I have a newer and older generation Cabo 50 that I use regularly. I have not been able to really test out the newer version on anything over 20lbs but the older generation cabo has been an outstanding piece of equipment. I've used the older one for vertical jigging and bucktail jigging and have landed many large bonita and other fish and after a single service it still is as smooth as I could hope for a 3-4 year old reel. I've had several 40lb+ class fish go to town on it and if anything ever went wrong it was always the terminal tackle; the reel drag remained smooth and never was sticky. Considering how well the reel has held up and performed I can honestly say I am one very happy customer. I really like the newer 50 model too, I just got a V jigging rod for it and I am looking forward to testing it out.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”