Googan Report

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Username28
KING MACKEREL

Re: Googan Report

Post by Username28 »

lucky wrote:
chris21 wrote:
lucky wrote:I was fishing a local pier the other day where they'd just installed a brand new stainless steel fish cleaning table. Some guy turned up and thought it was a barbecue.
Are you kidding me? Haha wow
Sadly I'm not. I lost quite a lot of hope for the future of humanity when he said it.
Thats not even funny, thats just flat out sad... eatpop eatpop Nice shiny flat surface, BBQ! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

lucky
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lucky »

Username28 wrote:Thats not even funny, thats just flat out sad... eatpop eatpop Nice shiny flat surface, BBQ! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
It's even worse - the table had some kind of bonded white plastic surface covering on the top to stop the stainless steel being scratched by knives . God only knows what Barbecue Man thought would have happened to that once you got a bit of a fire going underneath it let alone what would have happened to the old wooden jetty it was on.

New Heritage Fishing
Weekend Warrior

Post by New Heritage Fishing »

I think I'm gonna start a Q & A for newbs and tourists to see if they are about do something Googan before they actually do it...

Being a tourist myself, I think it'll be healthy for everyone... Mostly me. I read all 25 pages of this sticky last night and have many many Virginia and North Carolina Googan stories of my own, perhaps I can share a couple here...

But anyways....

This is installment number one of "Dude, am I a Googan?"

You must either start or end your question with that tag line...

I'll go first.

I was planning on bringing 2 or 3 Abu Garcia 6500's spooled with braid to the bridges. My rods include an 11' Rica caster, a semi-custom 10' caster, and a 7' H caster. Not knowing much about S. Fla structure fishing, I figured I'd have my bases covered. Dude, am I a Googan?

New Heritage Fishing
Weekend Warrior

That was supposed to say 11' Tica.

Apparently, it's possible to be a web Googan too.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Braid is not very friendly to fish on the bridges. If you hook a big fish that takes you under the bridge or around a piling, that braid will pop quickly. Mono is much more forgiving in that aspect.

New Heritage Fishing
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tip. What about my rod and reel setup? How Googan is that?

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

So I understand that fishing has been pretty slow at jetty park lately but not too long ago I spotted an interesting guy there proudly fileting his dinner...........pinfish. And No he wasnt cutting it for bait. He came to the cleaning table next to where I was fishing, askd me what ive caught, then showed me his catches.....all pinfish. He was very happy to take the lil filets back to his campsite.

snook123
Weekend Warrior

Post by snook123 »

I didn't know it was that slow. At least go with the grunts or runners! :D
- Jimmy

New Heritage Fishing
Weekend Warrior

Ambassadeurs... 6500 Blue Yonder, 6500 C3CT Mag, and a 6500 C3 levelwind... Are those Googan?

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

They are fine,just make sure when you are holding the rod and reel,the reel is on top. :)

New Heritage Fishing
Weekend Warrior

Bwahahah! Thanks for the tip.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

big red wrote:They are fine,just make sure when you are holding the rod and reel,the reel is on top. :)
Oh my god :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

New Heritage Fishing
Weekend Warrior

I know right? I spit food all over my computer...

I guess I deserved it though. I am posting as a Googan.

Anyways,

I just picked up a few reels.

Snagged a Penn 155, a Penn Squidder 140, and a Penn Level Line 350...

Are these more or less Googan than my 6500's?

big red
Seasoned Fisher

Post by big red »

It is true,seen peoples hold their casting rod/reel like that. Maybe they are Right or Left handed and it is more comfy for them that way.

It just shouted "Tourist" to all the other fisherman on the boat,pier or bridge. lol

The best one I seen so far,is this guy at Ch 5 with a 6ft full roller trolling rod mated to a spanning reel. I did a double take when I walk by.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

big red wrote:It is true,seen peoples hold their casting rod/reel like that. Maybe they are Right or Left handed and it is more comfy for them that way.

It just shouted "Tourist" to all the other fisherman on the boat,pier or bridge. lol

The best one I seen so far,is this guy at Ch 5 with a 6ft full roller trolling rod mated to a spanning reel. I did a double take when I walk by.
LOL I've seen that guy...I actually laughed. What I like best is the people that hold spinning reels on the top and spin backwards....one would think they would get the idea when it doesnt want to go easily, and you have to go backwards....but people are dumb/googans...

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

New Heritage Fishing wrote:I know right? I spit food all over my computer...

I guess I deserved it though. I am posting as a Googan.

Anyways,

I just picked up a few reels.

Snagged a Penn 155, a Penn Squidder 140, and a Penn Level Line 350...

Are these more or less Googan than my 6500's?
You will be fine with your Abu's dude, don't worry about it, especially if you are just coming down for a trip I wouldn't re-gear.
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

ironman172
Fisher

Post by ironman172 »

we all are googan's(some just more then others :D )....life is a learning process, along with fishing....we are just in different stages of that process....we all started somewhere (at the beginning) non was born the way we are now with the skills we have acquired....I hope all on here bashing....help the ones they are bashing..... if not you are part of the problem....someone helped and taught you..... :reeling:

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

jettypark28 wrote:IMO a googan and a newie aren't the same... my niece is a newie to saltwater fishing
but not to fishing and she at times will relate her northern style our style... I don't laugh
at her (well a little :mrgreen: ) I show her what right and she listens and ask questions
and keeps learning.. that IMO isn't a Googan...

Googan> is a knowitall that will listen to others at times but that's where it ends... in one
ear and out the other... at times they believe that they know more and even when
you prove them wrong they still try to get around it..

and Yes we have "Googans" in our groups also.... these are also the knowitalls that look
down at everything and anything that's new or didn't work for them... oh and since they
caught a handful of fish...now they are experts :roll:

No such thing as a freaking expert in our sport... we all have good days and bad days..
Being lucky is always good in our sport.... but the more you know, the more luck has
a way of finding you :toast:

and as far as eating Pinfish> psssssss they really aren't that bad, if you never eaten
bluegills/specks then you don't know what your are missing if you pass up on large
pinfish/grunts.... granted there are a lot of other great gamefish to eat out there...
but a bucket full of pinfish fillet.... I bet they had a great meal... :toast:
with that said you gotta see the first time I fished with a circle hook. I lost every fish trying to set the hook lol
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

jettypark28 wrote:LOL... that's the main reason I yell at everybody to leave the freaking rod alone...
they have a baitrunner for a reason :lol:

I tell them to pick it up, point it at the fish with the rod down... and just reel... the
fish will hook himself before they have a chance to Yank on it... :mrgreen:

And for other setups I make sure to keep them in rod holders and once the rod
is double over... then I tell them to pick it up.. :cheers:

Psssss you want to mess with a knowitall ..... just give him a setup with a circle hook,
let him hold it and watch the fun....
Last time I went to the west coast to fish back water with my uncle I prob lost about 10 fish by trying to set the hook. He yelled at me all day lol
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

here's an interesting one, I saw 5 or 6 bucket anglers on port everglades jetty earlier today fishing with baitcasters made for bass, ohh yeah not to mention the grouper rigs they had tied to them plus they were reeling them in upside down. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: kinda gave em a look
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Post by joenofishhere »

Was kayaking Sunday and had a guy in a canoe with a trolling motor go by trolling a frozen shrimp and a bobber about 30 feet behind the boat.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

joenofishhere wrote:Was kayaking Sunday and had a guy in a canoe with a trolling motor go by trolling a frozen shrimp and a bobber about 30 feet behind the boat.
Maybe he was just thawing them out for 'Shrimp on the Barbie" :chef:
I still don't know what the bobber was for though :roll:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

ok so the amount of weirdos I encounter on PE jetty never ceases to amaze me lol, saw 2 interesting googans out there couple days ago, at the very beginning of the jetty was this dark skinned guy wearing latex gloves which was odd not only that but he looked like he was very afraid to even touch the bait :scratch: as I walked further out this Jamaican dude with his walmart setup had the strangest rig tied on Ive ever seen, he had his main line tied to a pyramid sinker then he had 2 additional lines tied to the eye of the sinker, each line was about a foot and a half then he had 2 whole horse sized ballyhoo hooked on each hook, where in the hell do people come up with rigs like this?!?!?! I drew the rig exactly how it looked on paint to give a clearer illustration, people these days smdh... :scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

is there such thing as a stooge-an or stoogan? Guy on the pier last weekend wore rain gear.... red pants with the suspenders like he was fishing in the rain from a boat in rough conditions. It was 80 degrees without a cloud in site. I don't doubt he was an ok fisherman, but he looked pretty silly doing it.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Now here is a man who is very comfortable with himself in his old (I am asuming) age. We should all aspire to give as few you know whats as he does... Be happy, do WHATEVER makes you happy long as u don't wrong anyone...

-swordfish

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Lots of guys fish in rain gear type pants. A good Mac or Blue fish bite at the pier, can blood stain every stitch of cloths you're wearing. Bleeding fish flopping all over the pier throwing blood everywhere, god I miss those days.

Any fish brought up hooked right can spray you good. And fish blood is all but a permanent stain.

Boats even worse, I've been in dorado bites with FF on the rooster, blood bath is pretty accurate. Of course boots and Grudens are standard uniform out there. Tuna bleed allot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

We saw this person fishing with the good 'ol backward spinner fishing technique.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

LOL Herb

That never fails.

Either that or clicker burn on horse shoe grouper cast :joker:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”