Lost reel

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
Post Reply
anas473
Seasoned Fisher
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Lost reel

Post by anas473 »

It happened too fast, I could only watch as my stradic fj and teramar rod disappear into the saltwater bay at the Ft. Pierce Jetty. The set up disappeared almost in an instant, before I could check for my phone in my pocket, take off my shoes and shirt, and set my other set up to the side I could only watch as my $300+ set up torpedoed across the bay with what we thought must have been a snook that ignored every mullet in the bay for the 3in greenie I had on a 20lb leader. It didnt really make sense, I mean I really had that drag set up light, but I guess that fish wasnt having it. I really wanted to jump in and chase it but at the rate it was going away, both vertically into the muddy green water and further out to sea, I knew I would never catch up, and if I did go in I would be diving the 500ft^2 bay to prospect the rolling sand. I told myself the fish have to win sometimes I suppose, I mean its really only fair that they get back at me by taking one of my favorite set ups. Whatever, I wasnt too mad, with my light inshore set up gone I was just going to have to make due with the other spinners I had, but it certainly meant that my buddies would have to start bringing in their own gear. Almost defeated, still sour from losing what could have been the first snook of my season, I took my 12ft surf rod and launched my avet farther then I've ever launched it with the circle hook and bottom rig hoping I could snag the line somehow in the giant bay. I had the whole jetty rooting for me, though I think quite a few of them had a good laugh at the situation. First two tries, nothing but clams and some coral. At this point I started feeling really stupid casting at nothing but bay and sand. Then one of the friendly locals gave my a giant treble hook. I still thought the prospect was abysmal but I didnt want to leave without trying. Two more goes, I cast as far as I can and walk to the start of the jetty and drag bottom again. Nothing but clams. I could see the sympathy in my fishing partner's face at this point, I assured him it was ok and I wasn't mad, accidents happen I suppose. We were meant to leave about 20 minutes earlier so I try one more time, really though I think I just wanted to see how far I could launch six ounces into the wind. I made it to the bottom of my spool, fresh line thats never seen the light of day got a good stretch and a bath of sun. About halfway back Im caught on something dragging and I lock my lever all the way down. I figure if it was my braid I would feel the light drag or maybe even the fish, but this didn't feel like anything. I just kept reeling little by little thinking I must have caught a nice piece of cement and the ocean was getting its just deserts. When I finally got back my spool of pink Ande, I couldn't believe what was at the end of that treble. I started seeing braid, the white braid that I had on my stradic. I kept pulling in more and more, this time by hand, and when I finally got to the end of my leader I could have sworn the stars aligned. I had at the end of my leader a 27+inch spanish mackerel (this thing was bigger than my slot redfish to give you an idea). To me, this would have made sense with any other fish, but I had at the end of a 20lb leader a giant mackerel, hooked in the corner with a 2/0 circle, the irony is I dont think I would have landed it had I reached for the rod and had his teeth find its way to my leader. And I wouldnt have gotten back my rod and reel had the fish not been there acting as a dead weight on the other end. And when I finally tossed the fish over the rocks and made my way back with my boomerang I just couldn't believe the series of events. This fish that I had on the cement was stone cold dead before it came out of the water, my hook was centimeters away from scratching leader on teeth, and by some miracle I had a single treble hook find a strand of line in the bay of this gigantic jetty. Everything that could have gone right did, and everything that should have cost me my set up, against all odds, didnt happen. I think I got a standing ovation at the end of my endeavor, it also looked like the ones counting me on to lose got a show worth while. Lesson learned, get more pvc pipes. Now I have my what was a brand new reel soaking in a well of fresh water. I plan on taking it apart (this will be my first time) to salvage the bearings before the salt gets them. Can you guys recommend any grease to use while I put it back together (or can I borrow some? :), will provide bags of fresh mullet and/or some publix cookies in return)? I understand I have to get to disassembling this reel as quickly as possible.

User avatar
Rare
SHARKER
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Lost reel

Post by Rare »

Image
Image

User avatar
baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Lost reel

Post by baseball4life702 »

Pretty lucky

User avatar
Rare
SHARKER
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Lost reel

Post by Rare »

baseball4life702 wrote:Pretty lucky
Break it down to me if you don't mind
Image

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 612
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 am
Location: miiiiiiami

Re: Lost reel

Post by Miami_Chris »

I read the first and last sentence. You lost your set up, but some how got it back. You are lucky my friend. I was unfortunate enough (dumb is a better word) to lose two set ups in one night off channel 2 bridge. It's a crappy feeling lol.

User avatar
baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: Lost reel

Post by baseball4life702 »

Rare wrote:
baseball4life702 wrote:Pretty lucky
Break it down to me if you don't mind
:stupid: what he said

k5523915
Old Salt
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: Lost reel

Post by k5523915 »

I was targeting permit in miami when a 40+" party boat came around broke the rod holder and took my ocean master 8500 penn gold away (~$400).. 2 hours later when I was leaving in the parking lot there were two guys holding my rods and reel asking people who them belongs to they picked it up in nearby beach.. that was the day I started to have faith in mankind again

User avatar
Rare
SHARKER
Posts: 2480
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Lost reel

Post by Rare »

Miami_Chris wrote:I read the first and last sentence. You lost your set up, but some how got it back. You are lucky my friend. I was unfortunate enough (dumb is a better word) to lose two set ups in one night off channel 2 bridge. It's a crappy feeling lol.

Chris, I think i was there with our group when i saw your rod go over. I think i wrote it here with my old account before it was deleted and you came in saying you were the guy who lost it. Thanks for the recap :toast:
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”