Snagging Question

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
flgreenie
Fisher

Snagging Question

Post by flgreenie »

The other afternoon I was on a catwalk under a bridge. There was a young man there who was killing both snook and jacks. What he was doing was, he had a leader with a 1 oz weight on the end, above it he had 3 treble hooks, about a foot apart. He was casting the rig into schools of bunker, then jerking the rod as hard as he could, and snagging bunker.

He would take the bunker off the rig, and put it on another rod with a single circle hook, and throwing it back out as bait. It worked real well. He was slamming fish.

I couldn't help but wonder if the snagging the bait was legal, so i went to the FFWCC site, and couldn't find any rules against it. Yes, no live baits on treble hooks, and no off-set hooks, but I couldn't find anything on snagging bait.

Anybody have any input on this. Thanks in advance.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Re: Snagging Question

Post by Leadslinger »

Used to do it all the time, great way to make bait when they're out of net range. Used to be able to find snagging weights, which was just a bank sinker with a treble hook molded into the lead.

I haven't seen it listed as illegal for mullet/bait fish in the fwc literature I have on hand.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

First a quick question....Did this person look like this with a beard that you saw?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Leadslinger wrote:Used to do it all the time, great way to make bait when they're out of net range. Used to be able to find snagging weights, which was just a bank sinker with a treble hook molded into the lead.

I haven't seen it listed as illegal for mullet/bait fish in the fwc literature I have on hand.

If you look up any fish, the species of fish they do list legal gear to use to catch. So, lets say here in Dade is fine, but in SI is no because of local/county's rules regulation, there is no snagging.(exmaple) Like the cast net rule is different here in Dade and Broward for size. Shrimp frame nets as well...etc etc...

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

It wasn't me fudge that
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

It wasn't me fudge that
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

gruntking wrote:It wasn't me fudge that

Well, yeah forget you were on the boat till a few mins ago. I still dig the rambo big wheel tho

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Yeah that boat just isn't meant for me
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Rare wrote:
Leadslinger wrote:Used to do it all the time, great way to make bait when they're out of net range. Used to be able to find snagging weights, which was just a bank sinker with a treble hook molded into the lead.

If you look up any fish, the species of fish they do list legal gear to use to catch. So, lets say here in Dade is fine, but in SI is no because of local/county's rules regulation, there is no snagging.(exmaple) Like the cast net rule is different here in Dade and Broward for size. Shrimp frame nets as well...etc etc...

I never understand all the changes from county to county. I grew up in Brunswick county, had buddies in the neighboring county, totally different rule on gigging for instance. God help you if we're gigging in the river that separated the two :scratch: :scratch:

flgreenie
Fisher

Post by flgreenie »

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go with the opinion that it's legal, and give it a try. The young guy was out there doing it again today, and still not arrested, so I guess it's all good

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I think you may be reading gulfside regs. We don't have an offset rule

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

flgreenie
Fisher

Post by flgreenie »

Green Tide wrote:I think you may be reading gulfside regs. We don't have an offset rule
Ah jeez, now you tell me, just tossed out 100 O/S circle hooks. Ah least the garbage man doesn't come till tomorrow. :D

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”