If trying permit fishing for the first time.

Ask your question Here, remember to include the important stuff like, What gear, area you are in, and so on.
anas473
Seasoned Fisher

If trying permit fishing for the first time.

Post by anas473 »

I am on my first break since my medical school started and I will be heading to my secret spot in key west to grab my snapper limit this Monday/Tuesday. These last two semesters I haven't had a chance to breathe let alone fish like I used to. Over the years I've read basically every how to on this forum on the topic of permit fishing but this will be my first time going for them. I'm turning in my karma points for all the reports I made for ft pierce and those private pms I send out in regard. Can someone give me a quick run down on permit strategy so I can get out there with a little confidence? Kblue where you at.

k5523915
Old Salt

Re: If trying permit fishing for the first time.

Post by k5523915 »

are you a med student at FSU?

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Nsu

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

ohh sorry lol i just thought you were a guy i met who were at FSU.. if you are asking about bridge permit fishing yes sir kblue def go to guy.. Rare too.. clarencesocitety

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Best chance for Permit in short time limit is hire a guide.....

Permit chasing is a frustrating adventure, many many day's I don't even make a cast on the flats.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

im going all day today anas. we may be able to get on fish.. you know im here every weekend.... if you wanan meet up tomorrow ill be around.. call me

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I would definitely have joined you but I won't be free until Monday the earliest, I don't mind coming out sometime midweek though if you're free.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

anas473 wrote:I am on my first break since my medical school started and I will be heading to my secret spot in key west to grab my snapper limit this Monday/Tuesday. These last two semesters I haven't had a chance to breathe let alone fish like I used to. Over the years I've read basically every how to on this forum on the topic of permit fishing but this will be my first time going for them. I'm turning in my karma points for all the reports I made for ft pierce and those private pms I send out in regard. Can someone give me a quick run down on permit strategy so I can get out there with a little confidence? Kblue where you at.

There are lots of other senior members in this forum who caught so many permits... I am just follower... I learned so many things but I have very limited scope of sharing as I didn't earn the secrets...
A few thing I could share though...for bridge permit, first thing is you need proper gear... Tell me what rod, reel, line you plan to use... Let's go from there... :reeling:

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I pretty much have everything under the sun, it's a tackle addiction at this point. I plan on using my 40-60 12ft surf rods with my 50 saltist and avet mxl. I have a 60ld saltiga but that'll be overkill and I prefer the other two for their casting abilities. I'll probably keep the 30lb mono that's on them, although I know many of you prefer 40-50lb.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Rod is long but will work. I prefer 40/50 lb mono but have landed plenty on 25/30 lb mono. Permit fishing is easy once you figure it out. Problem is there is a lot to figure out. Try to meet up with a guy or two in the know on here and it will help jump your learning curve.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

The thickness of mono top shot depends on surroundings of where you fish... And then thickness of line and current decides the weight of sinker... I have been using 40- 100LB Mono and 8 - 16 Oz weight as I am fishing on bridge. I want my bait to stay where I want to stay like rock no matter how strong the current or regardless of direction of the current... I am not sure about 12ft surf rod... How heavy weight can you cast? All of my rods can cast 16 oz...

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

kblue wrote:The thickness of mono top shot depends on surroundings of where you fish... And then thickness of line and current decides the weight of sinker... I have been using 40- 100LB Mono and 8 - 16 Oz weight as I am fishing on bridge. I want my bait to stay where I want to stay like rock no matter how strong the current or regardless of direction of the current... I am not sure about 12ft surf rod... How heavy weight can you cast? All of my rods can cast 16 oz...

hey if he uses the 12" surf rods he might be able to catch a hog or two.... lol

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

If I'm casting a blue crab and weight I can add atleast 12 ounces and cast that comfortably, although it's a bit unconventional for me to launch anything over 12. 6 & bait is my sweet spot for distance. I remember tommys permit guide recommended ~30ft from the bridges. I can reach the power poles too although that'd be an interesting fight if I hooked one there.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The best advice i can give you and worth its weight in gold.....Dont forget your landing net. (tommy

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

k5523915 wrote:
kblue wrote:The thickness of mono top shot depends on surroundings of where you fish... And then thickness of line and current decides the weight of sinker... I have been using 40- 100LB Mono and 8 - 16 Oz weight as I am fishing on bridge. I want my bait to stay where I want to stay like rock no matter how strong the current or regardless of direction of the current... I am not sure about 12ft surf rod... How heavy weight can you cast? All of my rods can cast 16 oz...
hey if he uses the 12" surf rods he might be able to catch a hog or two.... lol
LOL

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:The best advice i can give you and worth its weight in gold.....Dont forget your landing net. (tommy
LMAF...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

kblue wrote:LMAF...
Please explain LOL
Korean or Chinese or what???
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

laughing ma ass farted?...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

STRIZ wrote:
kblue wrote:LMAF...
Please explain LOL
Korean or Chinese or what???
Oh that was my fat finger typo... because rare cracked me up...

Oh, das war mein Fett Finger Typo .. lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote: because rare cracked me up...

United Airline did that to you...Not me!

Imagine if that happened on a boat...oh wait! (tommy

Glad you made it home, blue!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:

Now, I am really missing KOTS... Where the hell are you?

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

Rare wrote:

had it happened to kblue.. he'd be a millionare in no time and we all boatless members be fishing from his yacht soon.....

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Hooking them is pretty easy, landing them isn't...12 foot surf rod is far from ideal IMO. Want a 9-10 foot bridge rod with plenty of backbone. Find good green water and a tide change, pitch a crab out on a bottom rig between the bridges, and then it's just a matter of waiting. I've caught about 25 of them and only 1 came from "power line" side of the bridge...I know that others have had better luck but in my experience they cruise the shadow lines between the two bridges.

Return to “Boatless Fishing General Info”