Let's talk about long leader

IMPORTANT !!!!
Hey if you are going to rabble on or have something to say or whatever do it here --- open discussion. keep the rest of the forum to there titles it makes it better when reading the boards to not see off topic subject when it does not belong there. Thank you
kblue
SHARKER

Let's talk about long leader

Post by kblue »

Why do they even need 20 ft long leader while this guy Joe were catching all the mutt with 6ft ?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Let's talk about long leader

Post by fishnfool73 »

In works under certain conditions and for certain reasons. Lots of current tackle or shy fish , I am not a huge fan but it works at times.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

This is my thought based on observation... someone has to validate it.
drift or anchor may make difference... Drifting is hard to keep the weight remain still at bottom...these pinky fishes have a good reputation for wariness...so long leader is required...also, bite will be felt even with 20ft leader.
But anchored fishing, if we can manage sinker remain bottom still like rock...so no 20ft leader needed...not to mention bite won't be felt.... If there is strong current, one of two things may have to be adjusted...either heavier weight or longer leader so that bouncing weight won't affect the bites... I would use long leader and let my weight drift by current so that I can cover more area...

Tell me your thought...

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i say the longer the better
i try to stick to a 15ft min
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Isnt the rule of thumb: less current=longer leader and heavy current=shorter leader? Thats how ive always done it..when i fish for tarpon or snook, i always use like 8 ft of leader. And for muttons off of the bridge i use 4-5'. Strong current twist longer leaders, right?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i usually fish short leaders for snook 3ft
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:Isnt the rule of thumb: less current=longer leader and heavy current=shorter leader? Thats how ive always done it..when i fish for tarpon or snook, i always use like 8 ft of leader. And for muttons off of the bridge i use 4-5'. Strong current twist longer leaders, right?
I think it all depends on where you fish and what you target to catch...

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:Isnt the rule of thumb: less current=longer leader and heavy current=shorter leader? Thats how ive always done it..when i fish for tarpon or snook, i always use like 8 ft of leader. And for muttons off of the bridge i use 4-5'. Strong current twist longer leaders, right?
Badly hooked bait in current causes leaders to twist.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

now ive always thought it was different no current you can get away with a freaking knocker rigs lots of current long ass leader
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

gruntking wrote:now ive always thought it was different no current you can get away with a freaking knocker rigs lots of current long ass leader
:toast:

Return to “Chatter bucket-Ramble ONNnnnn”