My surf reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
juvinious
Fisher

My surf reports

Post by juvinious »

Been a long while since I've been on this board.
Haven't really been fishing for the last 2 years since school and life got in the way.

In any event, I started hitting the beach again whenever I have a free moment since the new year.
I went to Von D. Mizzell-Eula Johnson State Park yesterday around 1pm until 4:30pm fishing the beach (the double parking lot before the parking for the jetty area).
Had the occasional bite here and there. Got cut off by some blues but eventually caught one and caught a mutton snapper. I had also had the unfortunate misfortune of getting an eel tangling itself in my wire leader.

The previous Friday, I went to Loggerhead Park further north from there (same time).
Caught several crevalle's, blues, a small black tip shark and some weird long greenish/brownish puffer (fugu?) looking fish.

Hope to be able to get out more often as this has been the most productive for me in a long long while when I was actively fishing.

Happy fishing.

k5523915
Old Salt

Re: My surf reports

Post by k5523915 »

nice buddy... fish when you can, we all know how it is when family, work, health, etc get into way of fishing

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Good report, I am really happy to see someone sharing. Happy to hear about the mutton snapper, I haven't caught a keeper one in a long time.

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

thanks for the report. is the jetty fixed at mizell johnson?

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

mike j wrote:Good report, I am really happy to see someone sharing. Happy to hear about the mutton snapper, I haven't caught a keeper one in a long time.
I was shocked when I was pulling it in, took it out checked its length and was like :bounce: !
mil7950 wrote:thanks for the report. is the jetty fixed at mizell johnson?
I'm don't think so, recall seeing a sign posted at the guard house that said something along the lines of it being off limits until further notice.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Hit the beach finally again today at Mitzell-Eula Johnson around 11:00am.
Really shitty westward winds tons of chop and nobody on the beach.

Soaked chunked ballyhoo till around 2:30pm when the sun finally started coming back out.
Around 12ish I got one hit and landed a good sized Spanish Mackerel for dinner.
However it was rather dead with no action.

Will try again tomorrow weather permitting.

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

Thanks for the report. The surf in Palm Beach was tough yesterday also.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Went out Sunday to Loggerhead Beach Park (off oakland blvd.) from 8am to 11:30am. Managed to hook two large puffers who bit the line off close to shore. Otherwise, dead.

Yesterday, went out to Mitzell-Eula around 3pm to 6:15pm in-coming tide (full moon was visible too).
Soaked finger mullet and ballyhoo no takes except for an eel.
It seemed that a loggerhead turtle was interested in my mullet and ended up getting hooked on the side of the mouth.
At first I thought it was really strange as the line just pulled out really slow and it didn't seem to fight (like headshaking or anything). So I thought it was just some truck that just got a hold of my line and just decided that this nuisance isn't a bother. It went out about 200 yards I was afraid I was going to get spooled. Then I started to crank it back and then I saw something splash at the surface in the distance. Saw some flapping and I thought dang, a ray. Well I kept at this for another 10 mins and finally got it closer and then it's when I noticed that the bugger had come up for air. I was worried that I had gut hooked it or something, so I quickly got him closer and he turned on his back as he came ashore.
Glad that the rig was using circle hooks as it was set perfectly in the corner of his mouth. I quickly removed it picked him up, turned him over and put him back in the water. Swam away safely. I guess the full moon brings them closer to shore, was an interesting experience to say the least.

Seems like the water is warming up enough that the blues are starting to move back north (I think) no sign of them at all.
I'll see if I can get in some fishing in before day break or nighttime later this week or next to see if I have better luck.
Tight lines.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

If you feel like changing from the surf to the intercoastal there are lots of huge tarpon around right now I’m sure they would enjoy a nice finger mullet

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Ended up being home yesterday from work and got bored so I went to the park and soaked frozen shrimp. Caught a lookdown and then nothing else for 4 hours.
Green Tide wrote:If you feel like changing from the surf to the intercoastal there are lots of huge tarpon around right now I’m sure they would enjoy a nice finger mullet
I might have to do that, at least to change it up.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Have been out a few times these last two weeks at Von D Mizzel and around Dania pier, morning and evening, and it's been rather slow.
Mostly crevalle's at around sunup/sundown and then the bite is gone. Have gotten some puffers as well.
Decided to try the intercoastal on the weekend on the other side of hollywood beach. Only action was a cowfish, a mojarra and some other small grunt like fish.

I'm going to drive up north about an hour next weekend and try my luck.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Drove up this morning around 6am to Delray (technically not Broward) and fished the Southside of Casuarina Rd. from 7:00 to 1:30.
Managed only to catch one yellow finned mojarra and a bluerunner.
Was almost tempted to hook the bluerunner from behind and let it run out, but I butter fingered it and it fell back in the drink.
Was a really nice day out clear and calm. Kinda bummed I didn't bring my snorkeling gear.
Think I'll hit the inlets up there next time.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Went out Thursday to Von D Mizzel in the afternoon around 4pm to 6:30pm. Chop was pretty rough and churning up with lots of added seaweed. Was hoping to catch some pomps but none showed up. Caught a small Jack Crevalle on a sandflea and 2 lookdowns on a 4" gulp and jighead (surprisingly). Lost something large as it spit the hook.

Went out yesterday around 5pm till about 8pm a bit south of the Dania Pier on Perry St. and conditions were about the same.
I guess the stars were in alignment because it was super productive.
I caught a small bluefish which I found to be shocking since I haven't seen one in the last 2 months. I then used him as chunked bait for shark or anything else that might bite it. It didn't take long for something to grab it I let it run for a bit so that it I can set the hook but to no avail it let go. It happened again and then that shut down.
However, my other two rods had sand fleas on them and I managed to get a yellow finned mojarra and 4 pompanos between both of the rods within an hour and a half.
I almost didn't go out glad I did.

Filleted the mojorra for the kids, breaded and fried. Fried up two of the pompanos and left two for dinner tonight. Pics below.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Nice report, Juvi! Good dinner as well! :toast:

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Thanks! It sure was good hopefully it continues like this tomorrow when I head back out.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Good report for a while... nice looking dinner :thumright:

jmei
Fisher

Post by jmei »

Nice report. I’ve been fishing in the Pompano Beach area for a few hours a day the last two days with sand fleas and have only seen blue runners (albeit some nice sized ones). All the floating sargassum has been an issue at times, both in terms of dragging your rig down the beach and in terms of losing hooked fish around the beach lip.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

dang them pomps were fire!! I'd slow steam cook them tho much tasty that way!!

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

i will try to hit the beach along jupiter this weekend

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

It has been a really crappy few weeks and this week being especially bad with all the seaweed.

Last Monday went down to the surf on oakland blvd. I picked up a ton of bluerunners on squid but unfortunately had to call it quits as the seaweed bogged me down. I ended up breaking about 4 inches on my 10' penn pulling the crud in.

Went out yesterday south of dania pier at 5pm till about 8:30pm and finally it was great. Surf was churning good and it was less dense with the seaweed. Using ez clam fishbites I landed one pompano and a small mojora which I live lined but ended up getting cut off by something toothy. A steady haul of small whiting none worth keeping and two atlantic threadfin. Would of stayed longer but with two kids with me it gets difficult at night.

Hopefully it will be productive through the weekend.

Tight lines!

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

Couldn't edit my previous post but here is that pompano:

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

How do you like the ez clam fish bites for pompano? What part of the pier do you fish for pomps?

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

It seems ok, I usually rotate between ez clam and shrimp fb when I don't have sand fleas. I wasn't on the pier I was right off perry st. on the surf.

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

the seaweed has been brutal the past couple of days, just a bunch of catfish for me

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

mil7950 wrote:the seaweed has been brutal the past couple of days, just a bunch of catfish for me
Ick, yeah. Was looking at the dania pier cam and it seems allot less than last week. I might sneak out of work early today and go try my luck.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

I went out that Wednesday evening. Started fishing the beach around 5pm. The surf was churned up and some dude passed by raking for fleas. Surf was full of them and he handed me a few. I ended up landing two pompanos, a bit on the smaller side over 11" though, and one good sized atlantic threadfin. Caught a small nurse shark on a finger mullet and lost something big on a small mojarra I caught and live lined. Great day overall.

Tight lines!

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

The seaweed hasn't given you any problems?? I was out today in Deerfield and the seaweed was everywhere.

juvinious
Fisher

Post by juvinious »

mil7950 wrote:The seaweed hasn't given you any problems?? I was out today in Deerfield and the seaweed was everywhere.
Yeah I end up pulling my lines in frequently and removing seaweed before it gets taken completely over. It becomes tricky with three to four rods out. It does indeed suck, but when in the fish are biting I'll take that hit.

CELLFISH
Weekend Warrior

Post by CELLFISH »

bunching the line up with grass makes my 20# mono gets frayed, especially at the rig end... Lost fish inda past from that... I given up when the weeds are heavy...cellfish..

:reeling: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
... sand under my bare feet is better than subway steps with steel toe boots on ...

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

hey how do you guys fish live bait from the surf? can i just freeline a grunt or should i use a fish finder?

Return to “Broward County”