Hollywood / Dania Beach Fishing Reports 2011 to 2022

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
lastoneleft1001
Fisher

Re: Hollywood / Dania Beach Fishing Reports 2011-12-13

Post by lastoneleft1001 »

saw someone catch a kingfish three days ago around 7 pm

BrianG
Fisher

Post by BrianG »

I was fishing the beach north of Dania Pier between 6pm-9pm. Not much bait at all. Saw 2 pods out of casting range. Only one within my reach and caught a blue runner and that was it.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Ended up heading to the beach last night. Did a quick spot check for some mullet on the way down but found none. Didn't have a lot of time so I decided to just cast some artificials on the surf. Water happened to be perfect for about half an hour and the bite turned on a bit.

Like everyone said, some bait but it's tiny.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Beautiful fish! Very healthy looking.

Baitfish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Baitfish »

Fished Lloyd park on the beach and in the creeks today. Was able to net some nice mullet, but that didn't do me much good. No takers on mullet live or cut. Even had a 4' nurse shark cruising the trough and couldn't get a bite. It just kept swimming around the mullet. Even tried some squid on a small hook and it came back untouched. Had a few unenthusiastic needlefish hits on artificials. No bait on the beach either.

Seriously...where are all the fish
Fishing is not a matter of life or death, It's much more important than that.

Kromag
Fisher

Post by Kromag »

cvstrat wrote:Ended up heading to the beach last night. Did a quick spot check for some mullet on the way down but found none. Didn't have a lot of time so I decided to just cast some artificials on the surf. Water happened to be perfect for about half an hour and the bite turned on a bit.

What's the best metal lures to surf cast at this beach ?
Thanks !

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

dig back through this thread and you'll find what you are looking for.
Kromag wrote:
cvstrat wrote:Ended up heading to the beach last night. Did a quick spot check for some mullet on the way down but found none. Didn't have a lot of time so I decided to just cast some artificials on the surf. Water happened to be perfect for about half an hour and the bite turned on a bit.

Thanks !

Roc86negron
Fisher

Post by Roc86negron »

Hey guys, I've been reading the threads on this forum for a while so firstly let me say thank you all for all the useful info you've posted. It has helped me a lot! I'll do my part with reports as best I can. So I've been bustin my a$$ trying to catch my first pompano for around a month lol...raking sand fleas at all hours of the day fishing daily and repeating that cycle for weeks. The hard work and putting to use the info I've read here in this forum finally paid off. But first heres a little sob story we fisherman are used too! I was fishing Dania Beach last night, while I was re-baiting one rod with fleas my second rod bent into a C, fish on! :toast: As soon as I picked up the rod I knew it was a monster, it ripped line out of my reel for several LONG runs :reeling: ....about 25-30 mins later POP. More than likely a huge permit. Broke my heart lol but I'll get him another time..

Rebaited and landed this guy about 15 mins later...I am no longer a pompano virgin lol. Thanks for the help again! I fish dania beach and the PE jetty frequently, the wife is with me 90% of the time. Black guy Spanish women, I usually have a hat on. I look forward to passing paths with some you guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nice fish, that is a permit, not a pompano :toast:

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:Nice fish, that is a permit, not a pompano :toast:
X2. They are very similar looking so don't feel bad dude. Nice catch

TheReelHangover
Seasoned Fisher

Post by TheReelHangover »

Top is Pompano
Bottom is Permit

:reeling: :salut:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

However That is a good eating size.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Roc86negron
Fisher

Post by Roc86negron »

Lol lol...I guess I am still a pompano virgin but no longer a permit virgin! When I looked I thought the dorsal fin was anterior to the anal but I yield to the boards expertise. So are the larger permit not as good an eat?

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

Nice. I'm still waiting for my first Pomp or Permit. Hoping to get out there soon.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

For sure...a permit from the beach is much more rare then a pompano! And yes, the smaller ones eat better. Once they get over 15-20 lbs, the meat gets pretty tough. A 10-15 lber is perfect eating size.

Kromag
Fisher

Post by Kromag »

cvstrat wrote:dig back through this thread and you'll find what you are looking for.
Kromag wrote:

Thanks !
Ok I will, thanks !

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Great job! Solid specimen, good eats!

-swordfish

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Roc86negron wrote:Hey guys, I've been reading the threads on this forum for a while so firstly let me say thank you all for all the useful info you've posted. It has helped me a lot! I'll do my part with reports as best I can. So I've been bustin my a$$ trying to catch my first pompano for around a month lol...raking sand fleas at all hours of the day fishing daily and repeating that cycle for weeks. The hard work and putting to use the info I've read here in this forum finally paid off. But first heres a little sob story we fisherman are used too! I was fishing Dania Beach last night, while I was re-baiting one rod with fleas my second rod bent into a C, fish on! :toast: As soon as I picked up the rod I knew it was a monster, it ripped line out of my reel for several LONG runs :reeling: ....about 25-30 mins later POP. More than likely a huge permit. Broke my heart lol but I'll get him another time..

Rebaited and landed this guy about 15 mins later...I am no longer a pompano virgin lol. Thanks for the help again! I fish dania beach and the PE jetty frequently, the wife is with me 90% of the time. Black guy Spanish women, I usually have a hat on. I look forward to passing paths with some you guys
That permit took a sand flea on those pompano rigs? Well done i began my fishing career on the surf catchijg pompano
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Roc86negron
Fisher

Post by Roc86negron »

I have 2 reports this time...

1st - report

Right before the cold front came thru, me and wife went beach fishing using cut mullet I had netted at John Lloyd. As soon as the bait hit the water fish on :reeling: I let her bring up a nice blue fish. It continued like this for about an hour, we had to leave because our cooler was full! While I was bringing another blue, she caught a short mangrove that we threw back. The last blue we caught was a monster and I let the wife bring it in....she thought she caught jaws lol. Wouldn't fit in the cooler! I know some ppl are not fans of bluefish but I've found that if they are bled and iced right away and of course prepared right they are quite good. Pics below

2nd Report

As I stated in my first post on this forum, I have been hunting, literally, for my first pompano. Never, NEVER worked this hard to catch a fish before :mad: ....I scooped a bunched of sand fleas yesterday to prepare for another battle. Pompano have owned me like 30 - 0 up until today! I'm far from catching up but I am not a pompano virgin any more. I got up at 4 am (this species has me not sleeping :nilly: ) put some war paint on and headed to the beach ready to get em :auto: fished from 5 - 8 and got one. A nice 13 incher, I felt the weight of bass pro shops lifted off me. The wife was upset she wasn't there lol. I'm addicted to the grind, rather the taste! sorry for the huge pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

Damn. That's a huge blue. I gotta get out there and try to catch me one, never made them a priority but i'd like to catch one. Also, congrats on the pomp. I'm still waiting for my first, while my girl (who i've only taken fishing twice) already has hers.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Getfish, when they are around, you can toss the kitchen sink at them. As a matter of fact, on a calm cold night I have caught them on a top water popper, which is a LOT of fun!

-swordfish

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

So i've heard. So you think they might be around now escaping the frozen North? Maybe i'll give them a shot soon.

Roc86negron
Fisher

Post by Roc86negron »

GetFish wrote:Damn. That's a huge blue. I gotta get out there and try to catch me one, never made them a priority but i'd like to catch one. Also, congrats on the pomp. I'm still waiting for my first, while my girl (who i've only taken fishing twice) already has hers.
Yea it was a monster for sure..thx, keep at it. Hope you get one sooner than it took me!
rare wrote:Roc86negron, nice report and that's a fatty big blue. Congrats on the pomp :toast:
rare wrote:Roc86negron, nice report and that's a fatty big blue. Congrats on the pomp :toast:

Thx man, I grilled that big guy...but I can't wait for pompano season to be in full effect

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Haha I would get pissed when the 15-20 lb bluefish would crash the party during striped bass fishing in NJ. I wonder why the big blues stay up north? You guys would poop yourselves if you saw the fish we released on the regular.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

X2. I grew up in Jersey. September chopper blues are more than a handful on any tackle. God's cruel little joke is they don't taste like blackfish.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Return to “Broward County”