Pompano jig size

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
hugehail
Fisher

Pompano jig size

Post by hugehail »

What size of pompano jig do youall like the best when there is a southerly current and brisk southeast wind? I'm thinking about buying some 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz
white/yellow with pink teaser.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Re: Pompano jig size

Post by HJared »

3/4 oz pink with chartruse teaser.

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

Thanks. Where do you buy yours?
HJared wrote:3/4 oz pink with chartruse teaser.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I like them from juno bait and tackle they sell all different teasers I connect with a loop knot. It's an hour from where I live though so I get them where I can. I try to avoid the mass produced ones with split rings if I can

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

It sounds like you prefer the Silly Willy rather than the Docs goofy. I bought some goofy jigs and there is no loop knot but rather a metal connector. Silly Willy has a loop knot.
HJared wrote:I like them from juno bait and tackle they sell all different teasers I connect with a loop knot. It's an hour from where I live though so I get them where I can. I try to avoid the mass produced ones with split rings if I can

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I tie the loop knot I buy jigs and teasers seperately

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Starting out, Docs goofy jigs OG Geoffs ball jigs. 1/2 to 5/8 oz, orange and chartreuse are my fav but many colors and combos are avalible. From there you can make your own. eBay sells everything you need. Check out powder coating jigs on YouTube. Should cover everything else you need to know. The old standard buck tails are also very effective.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

hugehail
Fisher

Post by hugehail »

The goody jig teasers are bigger than the silly willy. And on the small goofy teasters the hair ends not far past the end of the hook but on the silly willy the hair extends
well past the hook end. I wonder if cutting some of that hair off is a good idea?
HJared wrote:I tie the loop knot I buy jigs and teasers seperately

mike j
Weekend Warrior

Post by mike j »

I really like doc's goofy jigs and use them often . I use only only orange or pink and the 3/4 ounce size. I always attach a dropper loop 20 inches above the jig. If I am fishing strictly for pomps I put a small marabou crappie jig or a feather teaser attached to the loop. Some may question the large size weight of the goofy jig. I have found the 3/4 size casts well in the surf and I can keep it right on the bottom which is crucial for pomps. Believe me or not but I catch most of my snook on this setup with a slight variation on what I Use on the dropper loop but we are talking pompano.

Return to “Broward County”