JIGGING from Party Boats - A SMALL INTRO

This Forum is all about Boat Jigging
Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Re: JIGGING from Party Boats - A SMALL INTRO

Post by Swordslayer71 »

Great writeup to start with. Just my .02 cents off the top of my head from just reading that, I'd also add the Penn Battle to reels to jig with, as well as the Penn Baja Special. I've used both extensively and had no issues with either, the Baja is an absolute beast, and the Battle is phenomenal for the price. I also prefer to use Daiwa Boat braid on all my jigging setups. Very strong, easy to tie knots with, and it comes metered off, so that helps a lot to tell how much line is out. As for leader length/type I simply use 6 ft of 80lb Ande leader material and call it a day. I use a uni knot to a swivel to attach the main line to the leader, and have had no issues fishing from 30lb to 80lb with this setup, have never had it pop. Again, great writeup, and hopefully more people will chime in.
Hold Fast

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Thanks and thanks for the $.02 it all adds up. :toast:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I was looking for gloves for the Sealegs trip, I cannot bring myself to spend that much money on a pair of "specialized jigging" gloves. I'm just going to go with some from Home Depot. I may not even wear them, I've never had issues before from blisters, but I also haven't jigged for 7 hours straight.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You will need the gloves. The Mechanics from Home Depot are nice and comfortable. Cheap Baseball gloves are too.

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

I personally didn't have any problem without gloves but I do work at a machine shop and handle stainless and aluminum all day long.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

I bought the cheap $15 fingerless gloves from BPS. I love them, on my last trip I did have issues with my finger tips getting raw from the handle.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Snook hunter
Old Salt

Post by Snook hunter »

"Stay away from wire, you will get less hits to no hits."

I would like to stay away from wire but I was loosing jigs and hooks to Cuda and Kings. So I put about 5 inches of #5 wire from the jig to the leader. What is everyone's experience with wire? How many jigs do you normally lose on a trip?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

I loose from none to about 2 or 3 on a trip. Another problem with wire is that as you jig sometimes the wire will kink and you will loose the jig from that and not from a fish bite. I tried using 5 inch #3 wire to see if I would get hits I did but the wire came back like a pig tail all the time so I lost a lot of time re wiring. I just stay away from it now days. There is a very flexible wire called Tygerleader, it's a coated wire that is supposed to be good for jigging and you supposedly can make knots with it. When I try it I will comment on it. here is the link to them.
http://www.tygerleader.com/

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Is this Tyger stuff a multi-strand wire?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Yes it is, coated multi-strand.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

It's a nice video, they like those long rods.

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

cudaman wrote:Yes it is, coated multi-strand.

FYI there is another one out on the market now.... it is in the same place as the tyger wire called tufline .... it is a thread of spectra coated with a fine wire mesh protection (kinda like a piece of coax cable if you have ever seen that )

I used it to redo some assist hooks and you can even snell the 100 pound... good stuff
I have a spool of 50 that I will use if the cut offs suddenly get bad for a leader....
Rick

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Hmm, got to check that one out too. Thanks Rick :toast:

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

The cat is out of da bag. Herb gave you the key used it.Great info . :toast:

Swordslayer71
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Swordslayer71 »

ffishermen wrote:Can this style of fishing be done with mono? I have setups for bottom drifting and trolling, but didn't want to put the money out to get "jigging" set up yet.
I would say if you wanted to "jig" with mono your best bet would be much heavier bucktails with some kind of tail attachment. I have used 8-12 oz bucktails with a 5-6inch glow curl tail grub behind them in up to 400ft of water with mono and done just fine. It's not as "sexy" or "fast paced" as the type of jigging most here are talking about, but it will work. As for color, white or glow is hard to beat.
Hold Fast

eagle
Weekend Warrior

Post by eagle »

I've not gone out jigging yet. What I have is a 9'6" EGlass Lamiglas prototype 12-25 rod with a Calcutta 400 that's spooled with 65lb Tuff Line. I also have a 7 ft Crowder 20-50lb extra heavy rod with a TLD 15.

Am I going to catch a lot of flack for that Lami rod length if I'm on the front of the boat? And is the Calcutta enough reel to handle most fish I'll be catching?
This used to be a salmon rig that I used in rivers where I would catch fish up to 30 lbs.
Thanks for your replies.

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

Best wire for jigging is AFW 7x7 SURFLON MICRO SUPREME, Knottable Nylon Coated Stainless Steel Leader Color CAMO.
Works great I know a lot of people who use this for jig fishing. I have tried all colors and the CAMO seems to work best.

I purchased a pair of shout gloves from eBay great investment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

eagle wrote:I've not gone out jigging yet. What I have is a 9'6" EGlass Lamiglas prototype 12-25 rod with a Calcutta 400 that's spooled with 65lb Tuff Line. I also have a 7 ft Crowder 20-50lb extra heavy rod with a TLD 15.

Am I going to catch a lot of flack for that Lami rod length if I'm on the front of the boat? And is the Calcutta enough reel to handle most fish I'll be catching?
This used to be a salmon rig that I used in rivers where I would catch fish up to 30 lbs.
Thanks for your replies.

There was aguy with a 9 foot rod and a trinidad in the last trip, he did great with colored diamond jigs. When you are on the boat ask others to let you test their setupp and you will find out if you want to spend the money on a new setup or not.

eagle
Weekend Warrior

Post by eagle »

cudaman wrote:
There was aguy with a 9 foot rod and a trinidad in the last trip, he did great with colored diamond jigs. When you are on the boat ask others to let you test their setupp and you will find out if you want to spend the money on a new setup or not.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if a boat mate or capt would mind if I used braid on a drift boat when I'm at the front. I'd try to stay out of others way, but if I got a hot fish on I may end up cutting through some lines.

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

eagle wrote:I've not gone out jigging yet. What I have is a 9'6" EGlass Lamiglas prototype 12-25 rod with a Calcutta 400 that's spooled with 65lb Tuff Line. I also have a 7 ft Crowder 20-50lb extra heavy rod with a TLD 15.

Thanks for your replies.
That's a lot of Rod.....Your gonna get tired............ :nilly:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Heh, dont feel too bad... Im going to pass out by 12... Ill be sporting my shakespeare custom... It is 9 foot, and weighs about half a ton... It is what i got for now so :roll:

I paired it with the new Cedros 55j I got. Eventually Ill go to a smaller rod for it so it feels lighter and comfy.

-swordfish

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

LMAO!!! Don't pass out man!!! Jig shape, jig shape! jig shape! Short Hammered Diamond jigs will work great with those long heavy rods as well as slim jigs or short (light) vertical jigs. You do not have to jig all the way down to 400 feet feet to get some fish, think pelagics! Just do the top column if you have a long rod.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Im so psyched about the trip that believe me I wont care much about being tired... I have 300 yards of 65 lbs braid loaded up, IM in like sin!

-swordfish

eagle
Weekend Warrior

Post by eagle »

Thanks guys, I've gotten used to the bigger rods after using them for several years. My set up actually isn't all that heavy. Although I'm checking out some 7ft spinning rigs since that's the hole in my arsenal right now. I wasn't sure when I went out on a regular drift boat if using braid and a longer rod at the front of the boat would be an issue with the mates and capt.
Tight Lines!

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

I just read this post again. Great read! Thanks again Herb for posting! :toast: BTW 33lb tuna on 20lb Jerry Brown Braid and Baitrunner 4k. Can jig all day long without breaking a sweat.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Thanks Sehoon, and yeap! If your are out to have fun you really don't need anything expensive for jigging. Gotto love Jerry Brown lines and also Tuffline XP, and Diawa Boat Braid are really good lines, I use all three.

As always really nice fish man :toast: :toast: :toast:

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Hey sepaik what boat is that, it looks pretty roomy?

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

BEOWULF wrote:Hey sepaik what boat is that, it looks pretty roomy?
sealegs boat

Return to “Jigging”