slow pitch

This Forum is all about Boat Jigging
K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

slow pitch

Post by K R lip »

OK so I started looking into vert jigging and came across something that's called slow pitch jigging aka slow pitch jerk. I could not find much info most of it was in Japanese it looks like speed jigging but slowed down and more jig action. Jigs are short and fat and rod is different then speed jigging does anybody do slow pitch and or have any info on it I can find the rods and jigs on fleebay but not in any us seller. I'm not looking to buy anything. Just looking for info and opinion on it. It looks less stressing on body.

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Re: slow pitch

Post by keepinitreel »

It can be very effective done properly. I personally prefer high speed jigging but I have seen people catch different species on the slow pitch like Cobia and Muttons. Its almost the same concept just different action with the jigs and not as strenuous.

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

Thank you guys I'm surprised there isn't more info and a bigger following for it in us

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Slow pitch literally just started in the US in the last year. Not much difference than the Lucanus style of fishing.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I prefer the speed jig, if your arm aint hurting you aint jigging
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

I'm OK with speed jigging but I know 2 ppl that can't due to health reasons it might be an option for them I just need to get the hang of it I never tried I did get a super budget set up tiger light 112 to 200 and a reel I know I'm going to have to replace the reel soon but it will get me out there for now. Off shore angler friget 6000 $ 145 together with 65 braid

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

Slow jigging is a lot more productive than speed jigging. My buddy made a believer out of me with slow jigs and madai jigs.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Started trying something somewhat similar, the flat fall jig. My shoulders cannot hold up to speed jigging for long.

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

Flat fall u say :scratch:
Can u use a vert jigging rod for that cause the action is on the fall not reeling up

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

"Everything old is new again" lol

:viking:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

You guys are not living till you start "micro jigging!!!"

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

what ever kinda jiggin I do clearly seems to work, fast slow dont matter
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

K R lip wrote:Flat fall u say :scratch:
Can u use a vert jigging rod for that cause the action is on the fall not reeling up
I did. So far in two trips I hooked kingfish and sizeable chunk of Florida lol.

K R lip
Seasoned Fisher

Post by K R lip »

Im going to have to give that a try. Thank for the info

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Leadslinger wrote:Started trying something somewhat similar, the flat fall jig. My shoulders cannot hold up to speed jigging for long.
We're u getting hit on the drop or was it on the fall while jigging slowly?

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I think its safe to say we all have slow jigged before, when that 11 am hour rolls around your slow jigging
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

gdm phil wrote:I think its safe to say we all have slow jigged before, when that 11 am hour rolls around your slow jigging
Slow jigging= what fast jigging after 6 hours

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

BEOWULF wrote:"Everything old is new again" lol

:viking:

Pretty much... It's essentially different styles of flutter jigs.

Most people go after bottom fish with this style, and the "slow pitch" jigs seem to run 30-40 bucks a pop with out assist hooks. My pockets just aren't deep enough to donate that to the local wrecks and reefs. Hell, I hate losing my $4 dollar bank sinker to the bottom, let alone a 40 dollar jig.

With that said, I am looking forward to all you guys jigging your life away on the pulley ridge trip, so you can tire yourselves out, and clear the deck :lol: :happyfisherman: :happyfisherman:

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

No wreck to catch at pr. Dude I fish non stop I might take an iv and feeding tube and a cathader so I don't have to move.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Miami_Chris wrote: Hell, I hate losing my $4 dollar bank sinker to the bottom, let alone a 40 dollar jig
Hello, $4 for a bank sinker is outrageous! How many ounce are we talking about here?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The past few jigging trip have been successful out there. Tim was glad he bought his smith limited edition rod $600
he added a real reel, BX400XN Slammer $980 from new zealand & matching clothes but you cant see.... this gem is what he brought up from the deep blue sea!!! Make sure to upgrade all your gear before the trip!!!!

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

16-24 ounces. 20-24 ounces being the norm for getting down on the wrecks. I lost 4 20 ounce banks last weekend, it sucked lol.

I'll actually be bringing a new 400 bx accurate on the pr trip. Bought it for local fishing, but will be a blast out there on the red groupers/muttons. 20+ lbs of useable drag is incredible for that tiny reel.

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Is that a giant mutant porgy???

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Miami_Chris wrote:16-24 ounces. 20-24 ounces being the norm for getting down on the wrecks. I lost 4 20 ounce banks last weekend, it sucked lol..

Chris what does a 16oz bank cost you? $4.00? If you so, you are paying a premium for it. That's .25 cent an ounce

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

A 16 ounce costs me over 3 bucks at the couple shops I frequent, even on eBay, and it just goes up from there. How much are you paying? I might just not be looking in the right places.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Between 0.14 to 16.5 cents an ounce. An average of $2.56 1lb. When I get home I will post 2 links. One link we do a group buy of 65lb. If you are fishing plenty and seems that you are...you and your buddies can do a group buy and just buy what you need.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Miami_Chris wrote:A 16 ounce costs me over 3 bucks at the couple shops I frequent, even on eBay, and it just goes up from there. How much are you paying? I might just not be looking in the right places.
Two options for you if you want to try them out, lead bandit and another guy who doesn't have a website, Ace Sinker
dmbjr@optonline.net. I use both and they're fantastic.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Lead bandit is one, check cause when he is busy with orders you can be push back 2weeks plus..

The other is Johnny leadpot on ebay.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

thanks guys, looked up ace sinker and he seems to be on thehulltruth and has good feedback. 1.99 a lb for bank sinkers!

*edit* after reading more, ace sinker isn't pouring lead anymore... sucks because that price was just too good.

Return to “Jigging”