Rod advice

This Forum is all about Boat Jigging
MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Rod advice

Post by MrEnigma »

Hi all!

After my son was born I took a long break from fishing and have just been able to get back into it. I've really taken to vertical jigging and turn to the wisdom of the BF forums for some advice on a new jigging rod.

Setup is Stradic FJ 8000 loaded with 50-lb. braid. Mostly fishing on party boats (Sea Legs primarily) and occasionally on friends' boats. I have been using a Tiger Lite rod, but it is way too heavy for my needs (for sale if anyone is interested: http://www.boatlessfishing.com/forum/vi ... 32&t=34430).

I'd like to keep it on the light side so long as it gets the job done, since fishing without any fight is no fun and I don't see myself doing much fishing any deeper than 150-200 feet. Budget is <$200.

I'm leaning toward the trevala (something like the TVS66M or TVS66MH here: http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-fis ... nning.html). Any other suggestions or places with good deals/selection?

Help, please!

kblue
SHARKER

Re: Rod advice

Post by kblue »

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Thanks, will check it out!

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Save up another 100$ and get a phenix or blackhole or at least the higher end shimano cuz if u like vertical jigging the cheap one has no backbone at all its like a twig I had one and sold it when I could upgrade. The star plasma is also great and has sic guides I have seen those around for crazy deals at times. Let me know when ur ready to advance to slow jigging

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

HJared wrote:Save up another 100$ and get a phenix or blackhole or at least the higher end shimano cuz if u like vertical jigging the cheap one has no backbone at all its like a twig I had one and sold it when I could upgrade. The star plasma is also great and has sic guides I have seen those around for crazy deals at times. Let me know when ur ready to advance to slow jigging
$300+ is well outside my budget :(

I'm leaning toward the chaos kblue posted. Any opinion on that one?

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

Never seen or heard of it but should be decent here is what I'd get for a lil over 200
http://www.jignpop.com/jigging-master-t ... gging-rod/

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

MrEnigma wrote:I'm leaning toward the chaos kblue posted. Any opinion on that one?
Don't listen to the rich kid. Blue is the current jigmaster around these parts and any advice from him is golden. I'm not sure where (PM Tommy) but there's a great instructional thread blue wrote on the art of "high sticking" that's worth reading if you really want to learn. I don't know where he's been lately but that GDM Phil character never caught a single fish jigging until blue came along to show him technique. He's a legend now, bought a richeous boat and takes blue out for free every weekend to show his gratitude. Blue is your color for jigging.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Kingofthesea wrote:
MrEnigma wrote:I'm leaning toward the chaos kblue posted. Any opinion on that one?
Don't listen to the rich kid. Blue is the current jigmaster around these parts and any advice from him is golden. I'm not sure where (PM Tommy) but there's a great instructional thread blue wrote on the art of "high sticking" that's worth reading if you really want to learn. I don't know where he's been lately but that GDM Phil character never caught a single fish jigging until blue came along to show him technique. He's a legend now, bought a richeous boat and takes blue out for free every weekend to show his gratitude. Blue is your color for jigging.
Thanks! I'm pretty set on the chaos rod Blue posted. I've seen the rods in action on some Florida Sportsman videos and they look like they have awesome performance, and as a nice bonus they're local. As a small business owner, I'm all about supporting local business.

And yeah, I definitely hit up Phil (and cudaman) for any pointers at the BF picnic a couple years back. Got myself a nice wahoo not long after!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have an OTI ocean extreme jigging rod for sale if you're interested model 3101-60s. Bought it as a spare but it's just collecting dust. Let me know.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

fishnfool73 wrote:I have an OTI ocean extreme jigging rod for sale if you're interested model 3101-60s. Bought it as a spare but it's just collecting dust. Let me know.
I'm not familiar with that company and wasn't able to find the specs for that rod online. Would you mind providing a link to a product description or some specs? What condition is it in and what would you ask for it?

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

It's better than the chaos if you can come to a price agreement

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

If I read FF73 right the rod is unused hence the spare and the dust

OTI are good finished rods no doubt

Personally Phenix, AmTak Bushido and even CRB blanks.

All custom tho. CRB is cheap but much better than most think. I built one that had no prob with 40 pound and more AJ anf it was the lighter blank.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Rod has a few scratches and such but nothing major. Bought as a spare for my Sustain 10k but don't see myself using it anytime soon. If you are local to the Ft. Lauderdale area I can meet up at Bass Pro most days of the week. I am looking to get $150 for it.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Kingofthesea wrote:
Thanks KOTS... but most your sayings are the other way around...lol
When Jared talks, he knows what he is talking about...and he becomes a great jigger...Last fish he caught with slow jigging was sail fish...
Phil is awesome speed jigger...
But my jigging hero is Cudaman!!!
I am just a poor guy who wants to sell some jigs.

Hey MrEnigma

Check out Chaos's little shop... it was good place... They only have quality stuff...They got many things for rod builder..like decal, guide, epoxy, thread....

I bought many many gears from Chris (Fishnfool). I can tell you he only got good and quality pro stuff. :wink:
Last time when i bought things from him, he threw his old man's broken PENN Senator 113H as freebie... I fixed it...matching well with my bridge stick...lol

If you need jigs, let me know... check out www.jiggingdepot.com . My website only shows slow jig but I have speed jigs too.
I have low-end jig($10) to high-end jig ($20~ 25) and also have some throw-away jigs...lol.
I am on my business trip to Korea next two weeks and I will bring more jigs...

tight line folks!!! :toast:

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

fishnfool73 wrote:Rod has a few scratches and such but nothing major. Bought as a spare for my Sustain 10k but don't see myself using it anytime soon. If you are local to the Ft. Lauderdale area I can meet up at Bass Pro most days of the week. I am looking to get $150 for it.
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll pass. Seems like an older rod that is outside of warranty, and for that price I would like to get one that would be covered.
kblue wrote:
Kingofthesea wrote:
Thanks KOTS... but most your sayings are the other way around...lol
When Jared talks, he knows what he is talking about...and he becomes a great jigger...Last fish he caught with slow jigging was sail fish...
Phil is awesome speed jigger...
But my jigging hero is Cudaman!!!
I am just a poor guy who wants to sell some jigs.

Hey MrEnigma

Check out Chaos's little shop... it was good place... They only have quality stuff...They got many things for rod builder..like decal, guide, epoxy, thread....

I bought many many gears from Chris (Fishnfool). I can tell you he only got good and quality pro stuff. :wink:
Last time when i bought things from him, he threw his old man's broken PENN Senator 113H as freebie... I fixed it...matching well with my bridge stick...lol

If you need jigs, let me know... check out http://www.jiggingdepot.com . My website only shows slow jig but I have speed jigs too.
I have low-end jig($10) to high-end jig ($20~ 25) and also have some throw-away jigs...lol.
I am on my business trip to Korea next two weeks and I will bring more jigs...

tight line folks!!! :toast:
I'm definitely going to check out Chaos. I'm between the 165g and 200g. I don't really use jigs that heavy now, but I wouldn't want to foreclose the option. What do you think? Would the 165g work for occasional deeper jigging, or would the 200g have proper action for 100-150g jigs?

I'm interested in what you have for sale in the way of speed jigs, mostly on the lower end. Not ready to jump into $20+ jigs while I'm still in the early learning stages. I was planning on picking up some Williamson Benthos, but I'd be interested to see what your company sells.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

PM sent regarding rod and jigs. Let me know

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

Talked to the guy at chaos who strongly recommended the 200 vs. the 165. Said it is fine for lighter (even as low as ~65g) jigs, so I went with that and will be picking it up next week. Thanks everyone for your help!

Now we just need to get another forum jigging trip set up!
fishnfool73 wrote:PM sent regarding rod and jigs. Let me know
Nothing has come through yet :scratch:

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

there is a jigging trip next saturday on kelley fleet

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

PM me dude. Got more jigs than I'll ever need or use. Won't break the bank either. The chaos is nice, got 4 of em. OTI for that price is a steal. Retailed around 3 new I believe.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

MrEnigma wrote: I'd be interested to see what your company sells.
This is jig I have. This is a little high-end ($20) but not as high as Japanese speed jig ($30~40)....
This is speedy jig but most bites occurs when jig pause and start to fall after you pulling/jerking it up...
It falls in S shape motion
Well proven at S FL and Asia... I think this jig simulating ballywoo or houndfish..
But King becomes big problem for this jig. 9/10, King attacks the head and cut out the shock leader.
Over 25 of this particular jigs have been lost by kings so far in about 10 fishing trips...Pink is color of choice.
PM me if you want this jig...

I also have a long knife jig... king fish killer... I caught 5 kings on this jig on one trip...
I don't have pic... It simulates ribbon fish...
LA-100_150_200_250-3.jpg
LA-100_150_200_250-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

HJared wrote:there is a jigging trip next saturday on kelley fleet
Bummer, the one time I'm out of town, and I won't be back in time. Is there a thread to keep up with that the trips are posted in?
kblue wrote:
MrEnigma wrote: I'd be interested to see what your company sells.
This is jig I have. This is a little high-end ($20) but not as high as Japanese speed jig ($30~40)....
This is speedy jig but most bites occurs when jig pause and start to fall after you pulling/jerking it up...
It falls in S shape motion
Well proven at S FL and Asia... I think this jig simulating ballywoo or houndfish..
But King becomes big problem for this jig. 9/10, King attacks the head and cut out the shock leader.
Over 25 of this particular jigs have been lost by kings so far in about 10 fishing trips...Pink is color of choice.
PM me if you want this jig...

I also have a long knife jig... king fish killer... I caught 5 kings on this jig on one trip...
I don't have pic... It simulates ribbon fish...
LA-100_150_200_250-3.jpg
LA-100_150_200_250-1.jpg
Those look great. A little too rich for my blood though. Maybe when I really get the hang of this I'll reach out.
crashmister wrote:PM me dude. Got more jigs than I'll ever need or use. Won't break the bank either. The chaos is nice, got 4 of em. OTI for that price is a steal. Retailed around 3 new I believe.
PM sent

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

just get a off the shelf trevala to start it will be fine, you dont need to spend hundreds of dollars to jig,
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

Let me elaborate a little

Your just starting out with jigging, yes a high end rod will help due to stiffness and material. is it needed? no. Get a trevala get the form down and catch some fish. have fun with it. I have been using off the shelf rods and reels since I started jigging. poop my first jig reel was bought from Pat (crashmister). learn to crawl before you run.

yes im having a custom rod built down the road by Peter, but that because I feel my needs are no longer met with a off the shelf rod. will I still use my current setup when I get a custom rod? Everyday I will.

I got my XXL trevala due to my lighter one getting beat up by big ajs. there arent many fish I cant handle with my current off the shelf set up
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

gdm phil wrote:Let me elaborate a little

Your just starting out with jigging, yes a high end rod will help due to stiffness and material. is it needed? no. Get a trevala get the form down and catch some fish. have fun with it. I have been using off the shelf rods and reels since I started jigging. poop my first jig reel was bought from Pat (crashmister). learn to crawl before you run.

yes im having a custom rod built down the road by Peter, but that because I feel my needs are no longer met with a off the shelf rod. will I still use my current setup when I get a custom rod? Everyday I will.

I got my XXL trevala due to my lighter one getting beat up by big ajs. there arent many fish I cant handle with my current off the shelf set up
Thank you for the advice, and I totally agree when it comes to the $300+ rods. I've been using an off-the-shelf rod for the last couple years (the tiger lite) minus a hiatus, but the action wasn't working for me considering the depth and jig weight I typically use, so I am looking to upgrade. I ordered the 200g version of the chaos rod kblue linked (after meeting with the rod builder and ensuring it wouldn't be too heavy) off the shelf with no extra customization, so it only cost a little more than the least expensive trevala (which I couldn't find for less than $120).

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

MrEnigma wrote:
gdm phil wrote:Let me elaborate a little

Thank you for the advice, and I totally agree when it comes to the $300+ rods. I've been using an off-the-shelf rod for the last couple years (the tiger lite) minus a hiatus, but the action wasn't working for me considering the depth and jig weight I typically use, so I am looking to upgrade. I ordered the 200g version of the chaos rod kblue linked (after meeting with the rod builder and ensuring it wouldn't be too heavy) off the shelf with no extra customization, so it only cost a little more than the least expensive trevala (which I couldn't find for less than $120).

My go to jig is 150g@198 ft. if you know where to throw the jig with the current and wind its lethal
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

gdm phil wrote:if you know where to throw the jig with the current and wind its lethal
Huh, looks like my reply disappeared.

I would love to learn more about matching jig to current/wind, beyond the simplistic "1 gram per 1 foot of depth."

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

On a flat day I like 80g jigs on the wreck we killed it with those older whirligigs from shimano
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I like to use as light as posible speed jigs put light tension on the line as it drops. I was using a 160 g jig in 300ft this weekend. Don't over think it. Big long jigs could be better for targeting big ajs.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

HJared wrote:I like to use as light as posible speed jigs put light tension on the line as it drops. I was using a 160 g jig in 300ft this weekend. Don't over think it. Big long jigs could be better for targeting big ajs.

jared has spoken
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

LMK if you wanna come out on a sunday, its easier to learn on a smaller boat than a packed boat
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Return to “Jigging”