10/20/09: Bluefin tuna on surface poppers!!!

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
JDL
Seasoned Fisher

10/20/09: Bluefin tuna on surface poppers!!!

Post by JDL »

Headed up to the Cape Cod area to fish for bluefin by casting poppers and other lures to tuna breaking on the surface. Headed out of Green Harbor with Capt Dom Petrarca at 6am in search of fish. We quickly found a pod of fish busting bait. Had a fish blast a popper just feet from the boat. After a brutal hour long fight, got a 66" 175lb bluefin in the boat. It is the largest tuna I have caught to date, and on spinning tackle! The fish was caught on a Van Staal 250 with 80lb braid on an OTI tuna sniper rod 60/80.

Fish were busting the surface the rest of the day, but we only had a few swings and misses. There were many different size classes of fish, and we saw tuna airing out from 50lbs up to a 600+lb monster that jumper 30 feet from the boat!
Truly an amazing experience. Capt Dom is one of the best captains I have ever fished with and worked very hard to keep us on fish all day. Here is his website if anyone is interested in booking a trip:

http://www.coastalcharterssportfishing.com/

Here are the pics from the day:

Provincetown, Cape Cod
Image Image Image

bolo
USER BANNED

Re: 10/20/09: Bluefin tuna on surface poppers!!!

Post by bolo »

Excellent job JDL. :dude:
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Great catch. What type of popper ?
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

REEL CAST
Seasoned Fisher

Post by REEL CAST »

:thumleft: very nice :thumleft:

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

fishnfool73 wrote:Great catch. What type of popper ?
Thanks!!!
Its called a wave dancer made by Ocean Tackle International (OTI). Its built tough with 300lb wire running through the plug.
Image Image Image

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

JDL, how much for the charter? Were you able to keep your fish or they sold it and gave you a percentage?
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

bolo wrote:JDL, how much for the charter? Were you able to keep your fish or they sold it and gave you a percentage?
$900 for the boat for the day...up to 4 ppl. All fish belong to the charter and are not sold.
Image Image Image

SD2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SD2 »

Thats awesome! The look on your face says it all. :dude:
"Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once."

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Wave dancers are good lures! You should also try sluggos, shibukis, and runboh's!
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

Frogfish101 wrote:Wave dancers are good lures! You should also try sluggos, shibukis, and runboh's!
Have you seen Hogy's? They're like sluggos, but the action is much better IMHO.
Image Image Image

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

rebel33i wrote:Very nice JD :toast: when you say all fish belong to the charter does this mean you do not get to keep any meat for yourself?
No, he means that they got to keep all of the fish for themselves. Great report Justin, I showed this to my cousin who used to commercial tuna fish at the Cape (harpooning) and he said that he didn't even know there was a surface popper fishery for them. How deep were you?

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

PhishingPhanatic wrote:
rebel33i wrote:Very nice JD :toast: when you say all fish belong to the charter does this mean you do not get to keep any meat for yourself?
No, he means that they got to keep all of the fish for themselves. Great report Justin, I showed this to my cousin who used to commercial tuna fish at the Cape (harpooning) and he said that he didn't even know there was a surface popper fishery for them. How deep were you?
75-200 feet. The fish go all the way back into the bay and some guys have even caught them in 30 feet. Right off the cape the water drops off pretty quick as well, so you can be 1/2 mile offshore in 175 feet of water. I was also told that during the spring some striper fishermen hooked them in the surf...and promptly got spooled :shock:
Image Image Image

Return to “New England Area”