Early season thus far

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Early season thus far

Post by Albacized »

Seems to be more stripers around so far this season - although still not up to the bumper crop numbers of the early to mid 90's (in other words, immediate post collapse rebound)...Averaging about a half dozen to a dozen per outing...all small for me, although there seems to be a fair amount of bigger fish being caught.

Blues are around but a bit spotty...they've been thick in some areas but other early season spots have been void of them.

Some oddities - folks have already caught some sandtiger sharks along a certain area 20-30 miles south of Boston - in a shallow water bay...And I've already been catching needlefish on the fly rod in some of the saltwater ponds...this usually doesn't happen until later in the season for me...So water temps (especially in shallow water backwaters) have been a bit higher this year

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Early season thus far

Post by yankneck696 »

Would that shallow water bay be Hingham harbor?

Ed
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Early season thus far

Post by Albacized »

yankneck696 wrote:Would that shallow water bay be Hingham harbor?

Ed
Duxbury Bay - although sandtigers are generally not too common up this way, that bay is a nusery for this species and people catch small 2-3 ft sandtigers all summer...I remember the first one I caught there years ago - I when I first saw what I had, I thought it was of our 'typical sandsharks' (aka smooth or spiny dogfish) but was shocked at how robust it looked in the water. As I got it in and it rolled a certain way, I saw all those dagger teeth and was like wft. When they're that small, the telltale spots that cover the body are faint.

However, the one caught this past week was a 6' by another member of a site I belong to (pics were included)

Return to “New England Area”