NJ tuna fishing 9/20/2009

Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania Fishing Reports and Fishing Information.
JDL
Seasoned Fisher

NJ tuna fishing 9/20/2009

Post by JDL »

Bluefin tuna fishing has remained good whenever there is a break in the N/NE winds that have been plaguing the coast for the last month. We fished on Tuesday 9/15/09, and caught little tunny (aka bonito in FL) and I hooked a tuna on my Avet MXL. The fish quickly melted off the 20lb mono topshot. I was pretty confident due to the fact that I had a lot of powerpro backing, but a knot in the mono quickly caused the line to break. Unfortunately, that was the only tuna I hooked all day.

9/20/09:

Left dock at 6am for the 2 hour run to the tuna grounds. We were greeted by clear blue skies and flat calm seas. We stopped about 1/2 mile short of the fleet and began to look for schools of bait and other signs of life before we started chunking. I put out a small jet lure and a ballyhoo while we had a look around just in case. We began to mark a few small schools of sandeels, and saw a whale and some skipjack tuna and little tunny busting the surface and decided to start chunking. Nothing hit the trolled lures, but a little tunny decided to eat the jet lure as it hung 10ft below the boat while I was setting out the chunk baits :scratch: . We set one rod on the bottom and drifted unweighted baits with the chunks of fish chummed over the side.

The bottom rod quickly bent over and we brought up a 15lb bluefish, which is usually not a good sign. Reset the bottom rod and quickly hooked up a little tunny. I was drifting baits on my Avet with straight power pro and a 30lb fluorocarbon leader and a small circle hook (and the drag close to maxed out). We started to mark fish on the fishfinder and I quickly caught a skipjack tuna and more little tunny on the drift baits. The next bait I drifted back was soon taken by a much larger fish that proceeded to melt line off the spool at a rate that screamed tuna. After a tough fight, I finally boated a 40+lb bluefin tuna. We quickly began drifting baits back out and hooked another 2 tuna in the 40-50lb class. One fish pulled the hook and we released a second bluefin on the Avet.

Fished a little longer but the bait and the fish had scattered. Caught a few more huge bluefish and little tunny before we headed in.

One boat in the fleet had a large great white shark behind his boat that proceeded to eat all the fish he hooked.

Here are the pics:

Image Image Image

bolo
USER BANNED

Re: NJ tuna fishing 9/20/2009

Post by bolo »

Awesome job JDL. :thumright: :toast: I am hoping to do some tuna fishing next year.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

JDL
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JDL »

Thanks man...I will be getting a few more trips weather permitting. Hopefully we'll get some bigger fish in the area soon.
Image Image Image

BRunner346
"WE RUN IT"

Post by BRunner346 »

justin thats awesome! :toast:
"There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."

lordhell
Fisher

Post by lordhell »

Nice pics and thanks for the report

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

nice fish!!!

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “Middle Atlantic”