Chesapeake Bay fishing update

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia Fishing Reports and Fishing Information
wavygravy
Fisher

Chesapeake Bay fishing update

Post by wavygravy »

Figured you guys might want a report from the colder states, thought it would be nice since Im reading all your reports of fun fishing down there and dont have a chance to contribute. Theres not too much going on right now but waiting for spring to come with warmer water and weather. If you do have a boat, there are schools of striper still to be had. A friend went out last week and caught his limit of 40-50 lb stripers in short order. :reeling: Some are also fishing powerplant outputs and catching their limit of speckled trout in short order, with some catching fish up to 13 lbs on live mullet. :cheers:

Thats what most everyone is doing right now, but for the more adventurous the offshore bite is on. Trailering down to Hatteras in the Outer Banks, Blackfin tuna are being caught on the jig in the warmer waters of the gulf. Amberjacks running 20-30 lbs that can be tackle busters as well around rock piles. Deeper yet, the black seabass bite around wrecks and blueline tilefish are consistently producing citation sized fish, with many catching their limits within a few hours.

Other than that, we dont have much going on, and unfortunately I have to live vicariously through the people with boats, cause theres not a thing i can do from shore right now. Hope you guys are catching them still!

P.S. The water temp here in the bay is currently 36 degrees, try and beat that.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Chesapeake Bay fishing update

Post by fishnfool73 »

Thanks for sharing always nice to see reports from else where . A striper is one fish I would like to catch one day .
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Chesapeake Bay fishing update

Post by Cookinman »

fishnfool73 wrote:Thanks for sharing always nice to see reports from else where . A striper is one fish I would like to catch one day .
Last time I was in Baltimore on business, I strolled to the Inner-harbor Area after a ballgame at Camden. It was like riverwalk in Ft Laud. There were 3 kids pitching zara spooks under a small bridge in thge shadows of the skyscrapers downtown.....they were getting 5-8 # stripers pretty consistently on the topwater strike - Cool to watch and far more interesting than the coctail and 'really feeble attempt to talk business' conversation I was politely suffering...

Small for stripers, but still great to see while downtown :) I excused myselfg and walked to the kids - They graciously allowed me a few casts, to which, I missed 2 strikes pulling the trigger too early on the spooks...I was telling them that when I was their age, I used to do the same with the rat tarpon in the New River Downtown FTL.....

They were cool kids, on their bikes and W backpacks of tackle....

Now the walk back to where I parked the car at Camden Yard, once night fell was a real adventure....almost 2 altercatrions that would have not ended well for me or the person I was with....Scary neiborhood at night....even ealy night - thought I was really in " The Wire "
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Return to “South "Excluding Florida"”