poon hunting

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
bobwired
Weekend Warrior

poon hunting

Post by bobwired »

This happened about a year or so ago. Everyday I would drive past this lake off I-95 and be dying to figure out how to get to it. I always saw people pulling over to the side of the interstate and walking over the fence, but i knew there was a way to get to the otherside. I drove and drove. Up and down streets back and fourth and many dead ends and u-turns later, i find the railroad crossing i was looking for. I find safe parking, jump the fence to the tracks and head south. Theres a large patch of trees and a gully that i need to cross because i think the lake is on the other side. Finally i see a spot that looks suitable for crossing, but it kinda looked muddy. I decide to put one foot in at a time and with one hand try to hold on to this skinny little tree that i though might hold me, well it didnt. and that wasnt mud, it was about a 5-6ft deep canal disguised as semi solid ground. luckily i was able to pull myself out by grabbing any vine or tree limb i could but my tackle box, wallet and cell phone didnt do so well. plus, my cell screen was screwed. but luckily i kept the bucket of shiners up where they were safe. (arent a fishermans priorities screwy) anyways, i get deterred cause im soaked and i start heading back down the railroad tracks. then i spot a break in the trees that i overlooked before and climb cautiously down the rocky hill, and there it is the wholy grail: an extension ladder with 2x6 planks. Doh!!!!! Anyways, to make a long story slightly shorter. I rig up a shiner on a bobber and cast it out. After a while i end up getting spooled by a huge tarpon. as a matter of fact, i could see him jumping all the way across the lake, all the while taking line till, snap. i persist, keeping at least two shiners out till i finally get my tarpon who was at least half the size of the one that spooled me. he straightend the hook in the process, which was a 2/0 owner circle hook. i was pleased to see my rigging held up and that despite the blood, he swam away vigorously. this was also before i was privy to lactic acid build and the harm i brought upon the fish. i was just really excited because at this time it was my largest tarpon to date. because of the aspect of what a pain in the ass it is to get to it, i havent been back since.

the spot

this used to be a circle hook

the fish

the fish again

and again

****MIKE****
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ****MIKE**** »

nice fish
PERFECTION IN FISHING!

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK