Match the hatch

Lets hear those tall Fishing tales, I have heard so many times fishing all night on the pier with fisherman.
Big Daddy
Old Salt

Match the hatch

Post by Big Daddy »

As a teen my family had access to a cabin on the Myakka river. My buddies and I spent a fair part of our misspent youth hunting, fishing, and partying, as we buzzed up and down the river in john boats. I saw some incredible sights of nature on that river, but none blew my mind more than this one.

Early one morning I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat on the bank outside the cabin to watch the sunrise. It was awesome to listen as the woods came alive around me. One troubled sound caught my ear. Across from me, on the other shore was a squirrel fussing. He was chittering and jumping and standing on his back legs looking towards the water. It took a few minutes before it was light enough for me to see the object of his agitation. About ten feet off the shore was a palm stump with the top rotted out. Apparently some kind of large nut, about the size of a small plumb, had been deposited on the top of the stump as the tide had changed. The squirrel acted incensed that his breakfast table had been set beyond his reach. After a few minutes of complaining the squirrel leaped to the stump, almost. His front paws made it, knocking the nut into the water, but his lower body hit the side of the stump and the water. The explosion was instantaneous. The water below the squirrel opened up like a flushed toilet and a very surprised squirrel disappeared into the maw of a huge largemouth.

I barely had time to formulated the thought “That’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen” before the thought became a lie. I fell out on the ground laughing as I watched that bass spit the nut back on top of the stump.

Talk about matching the hatch.
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

james380
........POST HO........... "I post for FREE"

Post by james380 »

:lol: Beautiful!
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
- Charlton Heston
"Truth is treason in an empire of lies." - Ron Paul
In the beginning god created Evolution.

****MIKE****
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ****MIKE**** »

yea same tall tale at the bottom of the page by tony b
PERFECTION IN FISHING!

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

yea same tall tale at the bottom of the page by tony b
Never saw Tony B's post, until now. However I'm quite certain he's telling the truth-since he wouldn't lie about something like that. However there are some important differences. He was on a lake; the log was laying in the water.
My experience was on a river, and it was a stump growing in the river.

Similar story in two different places by two different fishermen! So I guess what that means is that we have documented a new feeding pattern for largemouth bass.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

i would think thata squirrel would rip up the basses mouth dont you think :wink:

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

It would probably be like tying a cat in a gunny sack and throwing it in the water-shredded!

Can't you just picture the fish holding on till the squirrel drowns. (Where's PETA) :scold: :scold: :scold:
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Big Daddy wrote:It would probably be like tying a cat in a gunny sack and throwing it in the water-shredded!

Can't you just picture the fish holding on till the squirrel drowns. (Where's PETA) :scold: :scold: :scold:
I imagine their stomachs must be fairly tough to handle a live Bluegill with spines all a flare on a daily basis....

I have never seen a squirrel go, but have seen baby ducks get slurped up more than once....
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Big Daddy
Old Salt

Post by Big Daddy »

I imagine their stomachs must be fairly tough to handle a live Bluegill with spines all a flare on a daily basis....

I have never seen a squirrel go, but have seen baby ducks get slurped up more than once....
I read the squirrel story in my Dad's fishing mags when I was a tyke. I'll never forget it. But it is a tall tale.

Like CM have seen ducklings disappear following mom across the lake.
Wanna go fishin?
We ain't left yet?

BD

Return to “Fishing Tall Tales”