Whats your family favorite seafood to eat?

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
AndyB
Fisher

Re: Whats your family favorite seafood to eat?

Post by AndyB »

One great thing about seafood is that it varies so much between species. I like everything from spanish mackerel or snapper sashimi or ceviche', to whole grilled Pompano with olive oil and sea salt, to fresh lobsters on the grill with butter, a big thick chunk of grouper baked with crab on top...grilled mahi, the list goes on. Only a few types of seafood I would pass on really, if it's fresh and not overcooked it's all good.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Wahoo sashimi, if only they were easier to catch...

jimriha
Fisher

Post by jimriha »

definitely needlefish ceviche, or smoked blue runner!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Grunts and grits...

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

Crab Spaghetti , Grilled Sea Trout , Redfish . Spanish , Shark Almost anything from the ocean .

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

my 3 year old and I are the only ones who eat fish. wife hates it. I have gotten him to like wahoo and he loves his tuna rolls at the habachi place lol
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Give me a fried fresh Grouper sandwich and I'm in Heaven. :D
Fish Crazy

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

Like jimriha, love smoked blue runner. Smoke em headless and gutted whole, peel the skin and blood meat off and pick the white meat. Gets made into "tuna salad" sort of mix and on sandwiches at my home. Beats canned tuna! What doesn't get eaten that day gets put in mason jars and canned for later.

Another odd favorite is round scad. Most around here call it cigar minnows and consider it a bait only fish. When I get into a school of them I can sabiki about 100 of them in less than an hour. Off with the heads and guts and they get 1 hour of smoking, quick hot fry in olive oil then into mason jars and canned. Oh my, never buy canned sardines again!

Do a similar thing with large needlefish and the occasional 12 or 13" thread herring but need to scale the herring first.

And then there's speckled crabs which look like blue crabs in shape but different color and slightly smaller. They are much sweeter than blues. Get them near the surf at dusk and first hour of dark with a pyramid trap at Dania pier baited with a mesh bag of crushed frozen shrimp.

And of course there are the local lobster and hogfish which I think are about the top of the list of more conventional eats for my family.
-JB
Please check out my blog at: http://helpmefish.wordpress.com/

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

miguel456 wrote:.Wahoo is overrated for me,its kind of dry and bland.
Wahoo sashmi is very good...if you know how to cut.

I know those baits taste good. :uplol: :uplol: :uplol:

My favorite is spanish mackeral salad mixed with all the good stuff like mayo, pickle, onion, some soy source, salt, pepper, etc for sandwich or seared spanish mackeral, then just cut into sashimi size and eat it into wasabi...I have my secret hot and sweet source. :tongue:

BTW, I inspected permit fillet if there is any bug...I didn't see any... I didn't know what to do with permit fillet, so I made some fillet into salad, which tasted about average. Then because it has a lot of muscle, I cut small piece into sashimi, which was good... so what I did is to freeze the fillet for sashimi... You are supposed to freeze the fillet like rock before making sashimi specially for a big fish...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

And at the end folks, opinions are like a**holes everyone has.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

BTW, this is how a sushi chef sears mackerel for sashimi...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHS4iN-AY4Q

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

cant beat pink snapper :lol:

Sandy Feet
Weekend Warrior

Post by Sandy Feet »

The No. 1 seafood , has got to be a fried soft crab . If you haven't had one , you don't know what you're missing . Make a sandwich and top with lemon juice .

fishing_female
Fisher

Post by fishing_female »

It has to be permit, made anyway in the world! :D

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

I should change my name on this blog to "baiteater"!

In fact I started a blog recently and one of my posts is about just that. Do me a favor and check it out when you have a chance and feel free to comment on it and share it with others. Here's the link:

http://helpmefish.wordpress.com
-JB

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

We had a guy on a charter that got super excited when he caught a big blue runner. More excited than when we caught dolphin and blackfin tuna. He said blue runner sushi was his favorite. :scratch: Dead serious. To each his own...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Jabie1313 I just went through your blog and signed up. Nicely written. Help me out with the recipe though......you said you cut off the heads and gutted them on the pier which is cool. But in the pic I swear I see white eyeballs looking back at me. What's the deal?
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Jabie1313
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Jabie1313 »

Kots,

Just a web pic of the smoked scad because I failed to take one when I did it. Some people like their sardines head, guts and all. For me, no thanks! heads and guts come off!
-JB

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Tilefish, wahoo, hogfish and yellow fin tuna for me.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:We had a guy on a charter that got super excited when he caught a big blue runner. More excited than when we caught dolphin and blackfin tuna. He said blue runner sushi was his favorite. :scratch: Dead serious. To each his own...
Out of curiosity, whenever i caught a fish for the first time, I always make small piece of sushi/sashimi... I recalled blue runner was good as raw.
In many times, presentation is very important in suchi/sashimi as long as taste is above average.
I could make sushi eater eat blue runner sushi if I make a perfect presentation even if they know it is a bait fish. Bla Bla Bla

I know I could eat..but some people won't eat bloody raw fish fillet. I am sure everyone has his own way... If you want to make clean sashimi/sushi so that everyone eats, it is always better to have right sequence. In my case, I clean the fish by taking out all guts, scales if possible, head off, clean it thoroughly with water so there is no blood and everything is clean. then fillet, and then you can also remove some bones at center line.

My personal favorite sashimi fish is mangrove and vermilion snapper... And mangrove snapper is the fish I will choose to make sushi/sashimi if I have Japanese friend visiting FL.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

kblue wrote:
Poseidon10/31 wrote:We had a guy on a charter that got super excited when he caught a big blue runner. More excited than when we caught dolphin and blackfin tuna. He said blue runner sushi was his favorite. :scratch: Dead serious. To each his own...
Out of curiosity, whenever i caught a fish for the first time, I always make small piece of sushi/sashimi... I recalled blue runner was good as raw.
In many times, presentation is very important in suchi/sashimi as long as taste is above average.
I could make sushi eater eat blue runner sushi if I make a perfect presentation even if they know it is a bait fish. Bla Bla Bla

I know I could eat..but some people won't eat bloody raw fish fillet. I am sure everyone has his own way... If you want to make clean sashimi/sushi so that everyone eats, it is always better to have right sequence. In my case, I clean the fish by taking out all guts, scales if possible, head off, clean it thoroughly with water so there is no blood and everything is clean. then fillet, and then you can also remove some bones at center line.

My personal favorite sashimi fish is mangrove and vermilion snapper... And mangrove snapper is the fish I will choose to make sushi/sashimi if I have Japanese friend visiting FL.
Try snook and flounder!

Snook, you'll need to age it for 24hrs in the fig.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

tears143 wrote:
Try snook and flounder!

Snook, you'll need to age it for 24hrs in the fig.
I caught and ate plenty of flounders (they called them fluke..flounder is something different) North and it is very good :wink: but I can't catch them easily in S Florida... :scratch:
BTW, I know a fish that I can catch S. Florida and its taste second to none. But I won't tell you because you won't be able to handle it :tongue: :uplol: :uplol:

Hog fish is probably better/as good as mangrove. I missed my chance of trying it. I gave it to my Japanese friend living in copper city...He loved it.

Snook, Red fish, Striped Bass, etc I tried them. They are all great. But I think you should be careful with fish that lives in fresh/salt water or blackish water... Also, important to get rid of guts as soon as possible. Most bugs are in guts. When fish dead, they got hungry and start to penetrate into meat.
Don't get me wrong. I will eat them raw but with proper preparation. At least, I would freeze them like a rock for 24 ~ 48 hours minimum and then melt it slowly inside of refrigerator...and then make sushi/sashimi.

I've seen enough people that got sick by eating raw fish wrong. I am talking about one unlucky case out of several hundreds trials. And you may never encounter unlucky one. But one of my cousins died after suffering... So I am serious. However, I don't know here...Florida may be different. (Never heard of any case that people got sick after eating raw fish). At least, I know in Alaska about 10% people go to hospital after eating wild salmon unless you are native Alaskan. They think they can just eat raw meat of wild salmon because they are eating salmon at sushi restaurant. But in US law, all the fish served in sushi restaurant have to be frozen like a rock for certain period of time. I am sure wild Tuna you caught and ate as raw may have some bugs if you watch it carefully... :uplol: Also, don't eat raw Mahi Mahi. I don't know what is wrong with Mahi Mahi because I was told not to eat them raw so I just never tried it. I was surprised that Cheesecake factory used to serve mahi mahi salad (not any more) where raw mahi mahi is used...

Also speaking of eating raw fish, if you go to sushi restaurant, never eat something called white tuna (albacore)/while sushi. The chance not being albacore tuna is very high unless the restaurant is operated authentically by Japanese... that white tuna would be most-likely Escolar not Albacore. Escolar is not good for your health... Also, I am sure you can distinguish Tilapia from red snapper :jester: :jester: :jester:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:. But I won't tell you because you won't be able to handle it
Ribbon fish :?:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote:. But I won't tell you because you won't be able to handle it
Ribbon fish :?:
If you tell me Rare's honey hole, then I tell you. :toast:

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Well kblue before that happens rare will rather roast a rat lmao

Just playin lol

fav seafood hmmmm

I love almaco, shrimp, conch, and freshwater trout from a mountain stream up in germany or a nice pike or zander from a lake in the sa,me fresh mountain runoff
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Btw the alamco shrimp n conch obviously from here
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:
If you tell me Rare's honey hole, then I tell you. :toast:
No honey hole needed. I just walk on the pier and if I see 20plus or so funny hats or what looks like a , lord Raiden, cosplay reunion, i know it time and go else where.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

lmao...You don't need to worry. :uplol: I am going to fish north for a while...

coolcow
Seasoned Fisher

Post by coolcow »

I've been away a while. Unicorn filefish, seabass, pompano, lobstah.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

miguel456 wrote:Wow that's a lot of good info!I don't like to eat fish in restaurants(unless its salmon) since I know alot of the commercial fisherman down here sell the fish and the restaurants sell them as something else.For example a friend of mines who does commercial fishing for a living sells amberjack and barracuda to restaurants. These restaurants in turn tell the customers they are eating grouper,snapper,ect while in reality they are most likey eating barracuda.I wont be surprised if the sushi places do the same. The only white meat fish I eat is the one I catch.
A lot of snapper sushi are really tilapia. Salmon? Maybe steelhead trout... and the list go on. ;)

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”