keeping the edge on your knife ?'s

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
Stickalip
Fisher

keeping the edge on your knife ?'s

Post by Stickalip »

I cant seem to keep the edge on my fillet knife for very long. I used a diamond honing tool but since I didnt know what I was doing, I did more harm then good.
I recently picked up a knew inexpensive knife that works great and it cuts far better then my Dexters . What I'd like to know is an easy way to keep that edge. I see these guys at the fish houses keeping their edge with honing tool but I don't know their technique as far as what angle the blade should be and how many times and which direction to run the blade. Not looking to make this rocket science just hoping to pick up some tips. Thanks

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: keeping the edge on your knife ?'s

Post by fishnfool73 »

Wet the blade prior to sharpening it. Fillet knifes are for filleting and bait knives for bait.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

cantseeme47
KING MACKEREL

Post by cantseeme47 »

:stupid:
fishnfool73 wrote:Wet the blade prior to sharpening it. Fillet knifes are for filleting and bait knives for bait.

:stupid: I've learned to separate the two. Dont be using your super sharp fillet knife for cutting bait on cement it will kill your knife
Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

There is an art & skill to putting an edge on a blade, I never could.. I can get a blade sharp enough to clean, filet, and skin fish but keeping the edge is tough. My buddy who hunts and skins a lot stuff uses like 3 different stones and oils.

A lot depends on the steel, and how that steel is processed and handled, the blade is made from... ask an army or marine dude, in the service there were many guys who spent hours sharpening and could shave with their knives and also put a great spitshine on shoes I had to pay someone to do it for me. Sharpest blades might be a true Samari Sword.
My father-in-law was in the resturant/food preparation business and he treied pretty much any new knife or sharpener that came out on the market....
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

They do have the lansky sharpening system kit or the chef choice like the 130 system

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

cantseeme47 wrote::stupid:
fishnfool73 wrote:Wet the blade prior to sharpening it. Fillet knifes are for filleting and bait knives for bait.

:stupid: I've learned to separate the two. Dont be using your super sharp fillet knife for cutting bait on cement it will kill your knife
This man speaks the truth, gotta have different knives for different tasks

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Cheaper knives need to be dressed constantly. More expensive knives less so but still need a steel if you're doing a larger number of fish or just a few big fish. For me the Bubba Blade is about the best buy out there in terms of a high quality fillet knife. And don't buy em at bass pro. Talk to Jeff at T&R he'll save you a few bucks. But to answer your question get a sharpening steel. All it does is straighten the edge already on the knife. For sharpening, someone mentioned the Lansky system which was my standard for three decades. Hunting, fishing, and all my kitchen knives were shave sharp with the Lansky. It's pretty much goof proof so you don't have to have a clue just read the directions. The secret to super sharp is the final polishing stones. They dictate just how easy or hard your edge cuts. Don't over do the shaping stones or under do the polishing stones. The new sharpener I just got is amazing and expensive but it sharpens anything.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Stickalip
Fisher

Post by Stickalip »

Thanks for the good tips. I'm defiantly guilty of not having knifes for different jobs. Watched a few Bubba Blade videos...cant wait to get mine...Thanks

released
Weekend Warrior

Post by released »

This guy is a pro. I just use the 10" dual stone with course and medium and you can shave hair off your arm... You need a quality knife to start however. Practice makes perfect.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSacFH3 ... detailpage

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

released wrote:This guy is a pro. I just use the 10" dual stone with course and medium and you can shave hair off your arm... You need a quality knife to start however. Practice makes perfect.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSacFH3 ... detailpage
Thanks Released.....fantastic vid
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Cool Vid Excellent Edge but in that time it takes the meat went bad

Dang no wonder that took 2 years to post but you released it upon us and we thank you in horror I mean honor
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

At least it wasn't one of those baby ones that you hold between your fingers

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”