So, you now have 1000# of Bluefish filets, whatcha gonna do?

Recipes for Fish and things that go with it, also Fileting and Cleaning tips.
Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

So, you now have 1000# of Bluefish filets, whatcha gonna do?

Post by Cookinman »

Simple Recipies

Here are 3 quickies to start the thread - Let's put all the SIMPLE Bluefish dishes here and we can start another thread for more creative stuff that will be caught over the next months.....

1 - 2 lb Bluefish fillets
1/2 c Milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1 c Bread crumbs
1/4 lb Butter
2 tb Lemon juice
1/2 c Seafood seasoning or to
.. taste

Preheat oven to 400°.

Dip fish in milk; sprinkle lightly with salt and
pepper. Coat fish with the bread crumbs. Place 1/2
tsp butter on each fillet; sprinkle with lemon
juice and seafood seasoning. Place fish in well
buttered baking pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or
until fish flakes easily with fork when tested.
Remove fish from oven; serve directly from pan.

2 - The herbs used in this recipie enhances the bluefish's natural flavor without covering it up, as some strong herbs tend to do. I usually prepare this dish with french fried sweet potatoes and coleslaw. It makes for a great combination of flavors.

4 bluefish filets (skin on)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons butter melted
non-stick cooking spray (for baking dish)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees; in a small bowl add thyme, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper, mixing well; place fish in baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray; drizzle butter over each filet; sprinkle each with mixed herbs, using all; top each with minced garic, using all; drizzle with lemon juice; bake for 20-30 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with fork.

3 - Place 2 Bluefish skin side down on Aluminum foil covered sheet pan.
Sprinkle with S and P, Lemon juice ( very few drops you do not want to overpower the mediteranean flavors of this recipie) Chopped tomato, a few capers, sliced olives ( i like to mix Kalamata and green martini olived here ) Chopped oregano and a small amount of white type wine to prevent sticking to bottom. ( I prefer Dry vermouth almost always to using a stronger chardonnay as I feel the flavor is crisper and it is also cheaper..a win win IMHO )
I usually always have a good marinara or pomodoro sauce on hand as I like to grow both tomato's and basil, so I will if I have some, take a small 2 oz or so ladel and put it on top of all of this to sort of help hold this country style LIVIORNAISE together....

Bake in preheated oven at 400 till done ( 10-15 minute's or so)

This also can be done in saute Pan ( my preference if you are more comfortable doing so, but a tad more complicated

Flash saute Filets, remove to baking sheet.
Saute fine chopped onions, and all othert ingrediants, with tomato sauce last. Deglaze with wine, reintoduce filet, carefully spoon mic on top, place in preheated oven 10 minutes.

Serve over linguine.

Also there were some nice ideas here.
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3678
I especially liked the Pacific Rim theme where the fish is marinated in OJ, terriyaki and Grated ginger. Very nice idea!

LET's Keep this one going -
what do you like to do?
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I've never had bluefish down here, but I'm thinking the warm water makes them taste stronger, as most people say they're fishy down here.

Up in North Carolina, we used to keep the ones under 5-7 lbs (we would catch big 15-20lbers from the surf but they were really oily) and they were great fresh, no fishy taste. I used to either like to marinade in Italian dressing (or make your own similar marinade) and grill on foil, or spread with mayo and bread crumbs and pan fry. Much better then macs IMHO.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Phish, sounds good !

Same deal here as well. Kept em fishing in NYC as a kid too. I like keeping em just a few inches over legal ( 2-4 # ers ) taste great and no need to remove the bloodline when that small. bigger ones realy do get oily, but with careful prep can also be prepared quite tasty...
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

jezratty
Old Salt

Re: So, you now have 1000# of Bluefish filets, whatcha gonna

Post by jezratty »

ok so i know some of you guys dont like people bringing up past treads.. but i had a pretty frucking good dinner tonight.. and it was super easy..
as a staple in my fridge i make garlic mayo.. its just that fresh minced garlic in mayo (maybe 3 cloves to a cup).. this should sit for about an hour to reach its full potential..
i caught my limit on blues today so i had several lbs of fresh filleted skinned blue fish that i dipped in egg and covered with a mix of flour and badia complete seasoning (green and white bottle).. and then deep fried..
served with lime wedges and garlic mayo... :toast:

Xpierrat
Old Salt

Post by Xpierrat »

nothing wrong with old threads when there is a purpose....and yours is fine.
Rick

linh
KING MACKEREL

Post by linh »

How come we dont get those big bluefish like they have up north?

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I love eating bluefish! The only thing unappealing about them is the color of the flesh (greyish) and the darker meat which I cut out. Once cooked it looks fine though, just the raw flesh has that funky color. :chef:

Some good recipes here, thanks y'all. But if you don't love 'em, let 'em go!

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Wow - 5 yr old thread....resurected :cheers:

Add to this thread -

SMOKED !
Bluefish fish dip is great !

Bluefish Pomodoro....
Start w a good country style Tomato Basil sauce - I do my pomodory a little chuinkier and waterier than a regular Sunday Sauce would normally be....

Sear skinned bluefish filet, cover in pomodoro sauce - Finish in hot oven, like 5 minutes. serve over Pasta. The stronger bluefish and the acidic tomato marry well.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

diggin4grouper
KING MACKEREL

Post by diggin4grouper »

feed them to the crabs , i cant stand blue fish !!! and yes i have tried them

ringonose
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ringonose »

Simple whole bluefish recipe

1) make sure you bleed this fish out as soon as you catch it...cut the throat and a slit in the tail. BEWARE: even after ten minutes, this fish will likely not be dead, and if you get too close to it's mouth, he'll bite you, it has happened to me, almost took the end of my finger off.
2) make sure you put the fish on ice. I see so many people letting their bluefish sit on the pier in the hot dry sun. Are you kidding me? they do this with mac's too. Simply put, when you catch a fish, put him on ice, end of discussion.
3) when you get home, clean that fish, do not filet (for this recipe, you need a whole fish)
Keep him on ice if you're gonna cook the next day, but don't wait more than 24hrs. Keep him on ice and in the fridge.
4) Get banana leaf or foil paper if you must, get some green onions chop them up. Dice up a tomato, not the mushy kind. If you like cilantro you can add that, or parsely. Some sea salt, a touch of pepper. This is all to taste by the way. Dice up some green peppers. Add olive oil, a touch of lemon, not lime, mix it all up with your hands.
5) put the fish in the foil or banana leaf pouch, add the mixture into the cavity of the fish, and rub all over the fish...it should be covered with the stuff.
6) seal the entire package, and put into the oven or in direct heat on the BBQ (propane works better as you can control it immediately). Try for 350 - 400 max. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, depending on the size of the fish. Make sure your oven is pre heated!
7) open up the package and let cook for another five minutes, this is key...

You will end up with a very tasty end product, very Mediterranean tasting...so I'd suggest having this with salad, Greek salad preferred. This recipe is NOT for those who like their fish to taste like chicken, all breaded up white fillets covered with Planko and seasoning so it's like you're eating Captain Highliner. This is going to taste like FISH, but it's SOOO good.
..."and the meek shall inherit the earth...."

Return to “Recipes and Fish Fileting and Cleaning Tips”