Fisher

Re: NEWPORT PIER

Post by Pharaoh »

I called today they are open for fishing. :reeling:

Dacdanny
Fisher

Post by Dacdanny »

Anybody fish the pier yet? I heard it was nice, but it wasn't from a fisherman. :x

DN

Arel
Fisher

Post by Arel »

The pier is great, New rod holders every 6 feet, comfortable seating, and etc. However In terms of fishing I haven't had luck on my side. Besides the bad weather & conditions (high winds, tides, and lunar activity) I haven't caught anything on squid, finger mullet, shrimp, or sardines ( all dead bait ). :( .... I also went on last week during the night time low tide with the same results. Perhaps I'm using the wrong bait or choosing the wrong time but I haven't really seen any catch anything either. Hopefully this dry spell ends because I plan on going this weekend early to catch the lowtide.

Fish on... :happyfisherman:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Arel wrote:The pier is great, New rod holders every 6 feet, comfortable seating, and etc. However In terms of fishing I haven't had luck on my side. Besides the bad weather & conditions (high winds, tides, and lunar activity) I haven't caught anything on squid, finger mullet, shrimp, or sardines ( all dead bait ). :( .... I also went on last week during the night time low tide with the same results. Perhaps I'm using the wrong bait or choosing the wrong time but I haven't really seen any catch anything either. Hopefully this dry spell ends because I plan on going this weekend early to catch the lowtide.

Fish on... :happyfisherman:
its a mackeral pier no reef no bottom structure so no bottom fish
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

The old pier used to be very seasonal... Hit or miss! However, some amazing fish came from it... I would think it can be solid for snook, and now in the summer a good place to get bait!

-Swordfish

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Post by LINESIDER »

HMU back on the scene.. Hunting the Linesiders

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Thank you all for the information.

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Good morning, Can anyone fill me in on what`s been biting at the pier lately?

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Macs are north and south of you

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Thanks for that information.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Pompano are solid
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Thanks Captain

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Latest fishing report anybody and whats the parking situation like there lately?

Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Post by Laz1287 »

parkslopecrew wrote:Latest fishing report anybody and whats the parking situation like there lately?
http://boatlessfishing.com/forum/viewto ... =3&t=31426

Newport has it's own sticky for reports, you may want to check it and post there instead.

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Has anyone been to newport pier lately.Any fishing reports would be nice,And hows the parking situation.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

It’s been dead for the most part. Bluefish are here and there, same with mackerel. Pompano have been miss more than hit. No bait other than mojarras and random schools of ballyhoo.

Parking is expensive and fills up fast. I’m usually there very early and gone by 10am or so, many times the parking is full when I am leaving. Also very tight for trucks. I wouldn’t even bother trying on a weekend.

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

I Appreciate that information.

Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Post by Laz1287 »

The parking situation is why I don't go back to this pier anymore.

So many fond memories on it back before they built that hotel where the parking lot used to be.

They don't even have a bait shop anymore.

And the one bait shop that was located right down the street shut down years ago.

Now the closest one is in Halover.

Shame too, I always preferred this pier ( and halover ) because of the sandy bottom throughout.

That's my one pet peeve with Dania, half way up you can't really cast out a bottom rig because of the reef.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I actually like the pier over haulover. Just a more laid back vibe. Haulover has way better fishing, but the dudes there are on a whole new level.

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snapperfanatic1828 »

Haulover=googan headaches...thats why i fish the surf for pomps. Never have to deal with the morons trying to use 3-4 rods when the pomps are thick..just pisses me off..will only venture out there for permit.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

lol even permit at haulover becoming a headache nowadays, 10 rods crossover either other, bye

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

You gotta know when to go. You will not catch me there on weekends, nor before 10pm...lol...

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I actually caught a little permit off Newport a couple weeks ago, apparently they get a few big ones, but nobody is ever really fishing for them.

Haulover is still great for snook and tarpon fishing though.

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Yea...haulovers deep channel gets alot of fish traffic...havent been to the new pier, are you guys fishing the pier north and southwards for pomps n macks, or fishing them off the tee??

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

The Mackerel are generally off the T, But you’ll see them in close from time to time. I mainly fish for the pompano in between the sand bars (north/south). Lots of snook cruising around the surf but they don’t let you fish up there (for the most part).

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Whats the fee for fishing and is it open 24hrs? Migbt try and intercept some nighttime pomps...one of these days

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

It’s 5 bucks and yea it’s 24 hours. Very very few people late night/early morning. One of the reasons I’ve been going there over haulover.

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Ool..thanks for the info...sat nite into sunday seems likely for me..havent wet a line in a good while..lol

parkslopecrew
Fisher

Post by parkslopecrew »

Latest fishing report anyone?

Laz1287
Weekend Warrior

Post by Laz1287 »

I've been getting reports from locals that the fishing on this pier is actually decent, well.....better than Dania anyway....for now.

I haven't seen any of the old regulars come back though, you know, the ones that used to fish here every weekend back when it still had a bait shop.

But lord.....does the parking suck now. And walking through that restaurant can be awkward. Least for me anyway. I get the impression that they built it like that on purpose in order to dissuade people from fishing on it. Heaven forbid they construct it like Dania. Oh no, they had to force you to walk through parts of the restaurant with all your gear in order to get to the pier. Bah!

Sorry for the rant, I'm planning to hit up Newport again soonish and I'll post what I see and/or catch.

Return to “Dade County”