Anglins Pier closed for a few days

Boatless Fishing Reports for Broward County, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, Dania, Lauderdale by the Sea, Pompano Beach
BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Anglins Pier closed for a few days

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Sorry to say but the pier has been closed down due to improper work in the Beach cafe and the cafe has created a public safety issue, so the Pier is correcting and separating the electric so they will be able to open up ASAP.
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Rare
SHARKER

Re: Anglins Pier closed for a few days

Post by Rare »

Tommy, any time frame?

Has the electric system always been the same or did they change something recently?

BoatlessFisherman

one meter and they made changes they should not have without permits in the cafe so all power has been cut for now until we split the power to two meters, I think 5 to 7 days would be a fair guess
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

BoatlessFisherman wrote: I think 5 to 7 days would be a fair guess
Sounds like city employees

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

A good crew of 15 to 20 on that project.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Not the city. And FPL only provides the meter. After your contractor installs the fitting. This was the cafe owner doing things he had no business doing. City code enforcement just found out and took steps to correct the situation. This is the "moron" expanding the electrical service without expanding the capacity. Classic fire hazard!

Glad you're taking care of it Tommy. Keep us posted.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

so still looks like it will be closed this weekend?

BoatlessFisherman

Yes it will be closed this weekend, we have done the general plan for the main permit and are awaiting approval i believe and then we will get the electrical permit and then once separated we hope to reopen.

Depends how fast the city works with us
-Tommy A-

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

Good luck. Getting red tagged like that by the city can take a while to rectify...

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

yes, but this is a big part of the city's tourism / image….they should push it through fast vs if it was just a resident or business not connected to the pier.

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

Or not.....

It's a pier-less holiday season in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, where health and safety violations have shuttered one of its most popular oceanfront attractions.

No one knows when Anglin's Fishing Pier will reopen.

The popular fishing spot at the eastern end of Commercial Boulevard closed after a special magistrate cited unpermitted construction work and numerous electrical code violations at its bait shop and cafe.

But repairs are being hindered by an ongoing court battle over who controls the company that owns the pier, a family dispute that could play a role in determining who's responsible for correcting the problems.

As of Thursday, the town had received no plans or permit requests to address the situation, which was first identified in October, Assistant Town Manager Bud Bentley said.

Town residents Bob and Katy Mann have been taking their poodles to the pier every morning for the past four years and are missing their morning coffee over the water.

Despite storms, pier a landmark for 74 years
"It's iconic in the city. It's the centerpiece of the city, as far as I'm concerned." Katy Mann said.

The town has had a pier for 74 years. Melvin Angler, the town's founder, first mayor and pier's namesake, built the original one in 1941. It had to be rebuilt twice, after being blown down by hurricanes in 1947 and 1960.

The pier has been a popular destination for fishermen because of nearby reefs that attract schools of mackerel, blue fish and pompano. It's also a magnet for tourists captivated by the ocean views.

Special magistrate Tom Ansbro said he had no choice when he closed the cafe and bait shop Dec. 14. He castigated the owners for not obtaining building permits he said they knew were needed.

"I hate to do it at the height of the tourist season, but I'm not putting one tourist in jeopardy or resident or employee," Ansbro said.

He also issued a $500 fine and warned he would issue daily fines if any work was done before permits were issued.

The pier is owned by Fisherman's Pier Inc., the company where Spiro Marchelos is battling for control against Martha Marchelos, the wife of his incapacitated brother, Elias "Louis" Marchelos. The company leases the restaurant to Anglin's Beach Cafe, which is where most of the illegal work was done and which is owned by Spiro Marchelos.

At the same time, the Marchelos brothers are being sued by Everett Sorenson, who sold the brothers the pier in 2005. Sorenson says they've failed to pay $748,500 owed through promissory notes and he is requesting the corporation be placed in receivership.

Katy Mann said it's the worst possible time of the year for the pier to be closed.

"Everybody has guests in town and relatives and that's the tradition, to go down to the pier," she said.

lbarszewski@tribpub.com or 954-356-4556

Copyright © 2015, Sun Sentinel
Travel
Sponsored Links FROM AROUND THE WEB

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The plot thickens....just sad.....

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

i love how the dude says he feels bad about havingto do it then tacks on fine afteer fine... yeah you feel awful huh... fishing spiro he is an fishing

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

FOOK SPIRO HE IS AN ADDHOLE!

GO4EM
SHARKER

Post by GO4EM »

.....and right in the middle of the yellow fin run.
I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Unfortunately, Tommy seems in middle of this big mess created by someone else...
I hope he has a wonderful Christmas with his family...

Guys,
It is time to give something back to him...for this wonderful web site...
There is no free lunch in this world because someone has to do something...

If you go http://www.boatlessfishing.com/ and scroll down, you will see "Paypal Donate" button. :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

So whos collecting the "Pier Parking" $$.. I was at Arubas last week and the Pier was shutdown and dark, except for some blue lights shining up along the sides... but the small Pier only parking lot seemed open and collecting cash...
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

BoatlessFisherman

pier is still closed and were hoping permits will get passed tomorrow and the pier can get back open very soon.

Thank you Kblue much appreciated
-Tommy A-

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Hey Tommy, if you need an investor to buy the debt, let me know.

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

crashmister wrote:Hey Tommy, if you need an investor to buy the debt, let me know.
I'm sure a consortium could be formed.... ;)

phantomreefer
Weekend Warrior

Post by phantomreefer »

crashmister wrote:Hey Tommy, if you need an investor to buy the debt, let me know.
It needs to be owned and operated by someone not only with an ethical business sense, but also someone who appreciates fishing. I would love to see Martha win this, but I don't think her or zeta will be able to pull $750k out and slap it down for what is owed. What about the anglins family trust. But crashmister, slap down that flow, if you know tommy, I'm sure your good people. LET'S MAKE THAT A FISHERMANS PIER once again. I first stepped foot on it in 84, and it's been part of me since. My wife calls it " The other woman". Lol
Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude. And if none of that works, kick em in the nuts!

BoatlessFisherman

That Sun sentinel story is a bit inaccurate, I can't go in to detail but it is not that cut and dry as to 742k. That article is totally misleading as to My knowledge
-Tommy A-

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

As I'm sure Rob would agree, it's more of an investment in Tom. He's wanted to do things for years. Unfortunately it's never been up to him. Now, it would be. He would have something he's never had before, complete autonomy and a checkbook! First year will cost money. Second less and if lucky break on 3! Everything after that is gravy! And poor Tommy gets stuck with a profit share. Now he's an owner/operator for life.
(Never buy numbers quoted in the paper)

But it's not like I thought about this at all. (tommy

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

crashmister wrote:As I'm sure Rob would agree, it's more of an investment in Tom. <snip>
But it's not like I thought about this at all. (tommy
Shame to see this happen - I sure hope they get things figured out PDQ...

Tommy and the pier are well worth investing in... Even if Tommy deleted all 3,000 of my posts... lol!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Pretty difficult to buy the news story's number, based on the amount of time necessary to get that far in arrears. Anyone managing a trust does so under strict guidelines. Failure to follow those guidelines usually results in criminal action. Can't see the trust administrators taking the risk for such a limited reward. Can't see em going public on the numbers in the first place. First question is, how'd it get that high? More likely it's a result of poor journalism. Trying to create more of a story than there really is.

Like Rob, I just hate to see such a great place in the middle of such a completely avoidable mess.

BoatlessFisherman

crashmister wrote:Pretty difficult to buy the news story's number, based on the amount of time necessary to get that far in arrears. Anyone managing a trust does so under strict guidelines. Failure to follow those guidelines usually results in criminal action. Can't see the trust administrators taking the risk for such a limited reward. Can't see em going public on the numbers in the first place. First question is, how'd it get that high? More likely it's a result of poor journalism. Trying to create more of a story than there really is.

Like Rob, I just hate to see such a great place in the middle of such a completely avoidable mess.
I could not have said that better, Thank you :toast:
-Tommy A-

bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigyellowtuna »

a few days is now a month. Any timeline yet for reopening?

BoatlessFisherman

The plans went through and they are starting don't think it will be long not that much to do on the bait and tackle and pier side.
-Tommy A-

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

BoatlessFisherman wrote:The plans went through and they are starting don't think it will be long not that much to do on the bait and tackle and pier side.

:toast:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I agree with Pat but if I'm reading right I think our story is more grim. Seems like the current owner that bought the pier never paid the notes and screwed the original seller. I can't see that pier generating close to the revenue reported to be in arrears. The investment was in the future appreciation of the property not the revenue from the pier or restaurant. Hopefully, that money would cover the monthly nut, taxes, insurance etc. Sounds like a solid plan unless instead of running push it started running red or pink. So instead of throwing good money away after bad in a losing venture................

So "A" screws "B" and then pleads poverty and can't pay. "B" doesn't even want the pier back anymore. He just wants the money he's owed by "A" and now his only recourse is going to court. Unfortunately, because the current "ownership" is in question neither of the parties gives a rat's azz if the pier and restaurant are open or closed So if they don't care, and inexplicably the town that has a boarded up tourist attraction in high season doesn't care, then besides Tommy and Pandora, who cares and what could possibly be done in the near future to have it back and running? Most all of the Anglins regulars have moved down to the Pompano Pier anyway and seem to be very happy fishing there. I doubt kblue will be back even when the lizardfish run starts.

Of course, Anglins will reopen tomorrow morning just to make me look like an azzhole.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Return to “Broward County”