New to kayak fishing

Post anything relating to Kayak Fishing, if you have ideas on other topic areas lets hear'em
N1ck
Fisher

New to kayak fishing

Post by N1ck »

Well guys im new to this, i have used my kayak to drop shark lines out but i never feel safe in a kayak :S but me and my friend have been waiting to the water to get really calm to try our first little trip, my idea will be to take 2 rods, my yak has 2 rod holders, and i think the best thing to do will be to troll. Im planing on heading out just past the first sand bar, just to start off and feel safe at the same time. My idea was to troll a spoon for macks and jacks, i also thought about trolling a popper mullet, but then i got the idea of trolling a bobber with a spoon following it right behind it, i dont know the name of the set up but i used it before from piers and shore to catch jacks, macks and just about everything else ( hope you guys understand what im trying to say) .

If you guys have any other ideas for beginners let me know pls, thanks guys :D

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Re: New to kayak fishing

Post by bigseank22 »

where are you going out of? maybe ill join you guys if its not too far away

ffishermen1
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ffishermen1 »

make sure you use leashes on your rods 8)

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

And make sure you have a paddle leash. Would really suck to lose your paddle offshore.

N1ck
Fisher

Post by N1ck »

Heading out of miami beach , ye im working on all that to not lose my gear :) but what about the trolling part ? My ideas are good or are their better ?

bigseank22
Seasoned Fisher

Post by bigseank22 »

N1ck wrote:Heading out of miami beach , ye im working on all that to not lose my gear :) but what about the trolling part ? My ideas are good or are their better ?
what are you targeting? as long as your rods as leashed like rory said, you should have no problem trolling with recessed rod holders or scottys

1OzLead
Fisher

Post by 1OzLead »

N1ck;

Getting to the 20ft water past the first sandbar is all a matter of the surf at that moment.
If your new to fishing offshore, check out magicseaweed.com for any surf forecasts and the swells that will be changing with the tides. It's pretty easy to get out to the skinny water and troll and it's relatively safe. Just as the guys mentioned, leash your rods if your new at it and let out your drag in case a fish makes a run. Take a PFD, and make sure you practice getting back on your kayak if you fall out. Next thing you know you'll be dropping baits for snappers at 55'-80' :reeling:

Good luck!
"You really like to eat Jacks?"

Return to “Yak-Addict-Info and how tos”