Where can I buy an easy guide for fish ID/size laws?

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
jayd305
Weekend Warrior

Where can I buy an easy guide for fish ID/size laws?

Post by jayd305 »

As a beginner it seems very difficult to learn the different species of fish and their variations. Not only that but reading through the forums and through the myfwc site all these rules and regulations about sizes and prohibited fish and about seasons. Back before really getting into fishing, I would have probably been excited at any catch (if it was a decent size by eye only) and have taken it. But now I'm a bit nervous about even catching one now that I've heard about all these rules.

I am wondering if there is an EASY to understand booklet out there or some sort of guide that can show me pictures of the fish and their size limits etc? I saw in one of the pictures posted on this forum a guy had this measuring stick that had several triangles throughout as if marking the sizes for different fish. That seems to be helpful and easy enough.. Anyone know where I can get one? I think it was called a law stick.

What would you guys recommend for a beginner so that fishing can be exciting and not worrying about legal stuff as much? I know there are many books out there but I don't want a whole glossary of fish, I just want one specific to south florida, to the keys... I fish mainly on the bridges @ islamorada or around there.

raml53
Fisher

Re: Where can I buy an easy guide for fish ID/size laws?

Post by raml53 »

This might be what you are looking for:

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/pr ... ntic-Coast

jayd305
Weekend Warrior

Post by jayd305 »

raml53 wrote:This might be what you are looking for:

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/pr ... ntic-Coast
Yes that looks like it. Thanks!

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

You can usually get em at Bass pro. But they seem to go through em pretty quick. Check with Rick/xpierat he might could set one aside for ya.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”