Muttons

This area is all about things that can affect the Boatless-Land Fisherman as to State and Local Regulations, Rules that pertain to areas that we may fish and enviromental issues that we need to get involved in. Please read these posts and get invovled. We are stonger in Numbers.
Rare
SHARKER

Muttons

Post by Rare »

Well, after yesterday trolling and the messy tangles it created i thought we bring it back up some and talk about Mr. Pinky.
I hope you guys keep tabs on what is going on. I will keep it short and sweet. I dont mind that they want to change from 16in to 18in which is on the agenda as well.... but your thoughts on 3 per person vs 10 per person. I think they should raise grey snapper to 16 but i got hell for that already by someone so we will keep it at the muttons.

8:30 a.m., Thursday, June 23
Call to Order

Mutton Snapper –

The proposed rule would reduce the recreational bag limit for mutton snapper from 10 fish per person to 3 fish per person within the 10-fish snapper aggregate bag limit in all state waters.

68B-14.0035 Size Limits: Amberjacks, Black Sea Bass, Gray Triggerfish, Grouper, Hogfish, Red Porgy, Snapper –The proposed rule would increase the recreational and commercial minimum size limit for mutton snapper from 16 inches to 18 inches in all state waters.

http://myfwc.com/about/commission/commi ... 22/agenda/

At least i now get to talk about the good old days when we kept 20 per person on a DT trip.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Muttons

Post by fishnfool73 »

It would kill the DT trips. Let us be serious outside of DT or Bahamas trips seldom if ever do people get more than 2-4 legal muttons a person. This regulation is aimed at killing the mutton fishing in the DT nothing less. I would rather see a no take commercial and recs during June or July.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I agree with you on where the "real" hit will be felt the most and that is DT. I must say Capt. Greg is wise beyond his years doing PR trips.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

I've been hearing about this for the past month or so

Talked to the Fwc ppl on Chans last week they said it should go into play as soon as July the tugas trips are done
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

if they change to 18in mutt and 16in grey.. 80% of the fishermen at Bill Baggs will disappear :joker:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

I don't think they follow regs over there....

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

oh yeah,, they have to now,, fwc rounds every day and people been put in jail left and right.. that's why even weekends now seems more peaceful... :reeling:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

k5523915 wrote:if they change to 18in mutt and 16in grey..
The only snapper under draft rule is mutt. I don't see anywehre about grey (mangrove) snapper...

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

I don't see anything wrong with 3 per person. It would limit the damage done during the spawn.

I am talking about local waters, not far off waters like the tortugas. But I do wonder how hard the tortugas have been hit in recent years with all the new boats capable of doing a day run out that way.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Miami_Chris wrote:I don't see anything wrong with 3 per person. It would limit the damage done during the spawn.

I am talking about local waters, not far off waters like the tortugas. But I do wonder how hard the tortugas have been hit in recent years with all the new boats capable of doing a day run out that way.
The Tugas is one of the major spawning sites. However numerous spawning areas such as Rileys Hump are already closed year round to bottom fishing already. I am sure Capt. Greg can add more but from my experience the mutton bite and overall size has shrunk to a degree. This could be to some areas a few years ago that were closed.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

This can hit home both ways..i dont mind a 5 person limit aggregate, but raising it would put a hamper on shorebound fishermen, BUT i do feel that it would help to give the smaller fish a chance to mature and possibly spawn. But it would suck...if everyone had boats, then everyone would catch 18" plus pinkies..but thats not the case. For the average fisherman, an 16" mutton seems of really good size, but not to the avid fisherman with a boat. All in all, im for a 18" minimum, but against anything less than a 5 fish limit. And that affects me because i dont even own a boat or even go out often, but i try and see the bigger picture..i say they raise the mango limit back up to 10 and 12" min

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Hell, if any of the snapper species that is under 10 per person, should be excluded from an aggregate limit..let it be separate reg. Ijs

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

k5523915 wrote:if they change to 18in mutt and 16in grey.. 80% of the fishermen at Bill Baggs will disappear :joker:
Rare wrote:I don't think they follow regs over there....
LOL @ both of you! :uplol: I agree with both statements by the way.
k5523915 wrote:oh yeah,, they have to now,, fwc rounds every day and people been put in jail left and right.. that's why even weekends now seems more peaceful... :reeling:
Really?!?!?! Cause out of all the times that I have been out there I only been checked twice. I feel FWC can do a lot more at Baggs but that's just my opinion.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

I see talks about State waters, but does not talk about federal waters, unless I missed something. Anyways, 3 bag limit during spawning season in state waters sounds good to me since as already pointed out by fishingfool the majority of recreational fishermen rarely get over that many. But that will hurt the charter captains. These people don't realize that when they close something the fishermen will go after another fish population. I already see so many Captains just taking people fishing for Yellow Tails, perhaps that will be the next closure and the closure of all bridge fishing with it. Seems like the commission thinks that in the Keys joggers and people in bicycles will be the only ones to support the economy. PETA is winning the battle, I tell ya'll.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Here is actual draft rule...
The proposed rule would reduce the recreational bag limit for mutton snapper from 10 fish per person to 3 fish per person within the 10-fish snapper aggregate bag limit in all state waters.

Here is state water boundary.
http://myfwc.com/media/3811177/Atlantic ... MapUS1.pdf

I guess those long range party boat need to fish outside of state water.
What is the recreational bag limit for mutton in federal law?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Good job kblue, this means it does not impact federal waters. But it also means that anyone fishing for muttons infederal waters must go straight to federal waters, fish, tuck away all fishing equipment and head straight to dock without stopping.

Froim FWC site, definition of state waters:
Florida state waters are from shore to 3 nautical miles on the Atlantic and from shore to 9 nautical miles on the Gulf. In most places, federal waters extend from where state waters end out to about 200 nautical miles or to where other country's waters begin.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Feel much better now but wondering how long before they...............................................................

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:Feel much better now but wondering how long before they...............................................................
Are we on?

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Rare wrote:Feel much better now but wondering how long before they...............................................................
Give it no more than a couple of years and it will be Federal Waters as well.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Go to 20" and make it 5, close the spawn season. The meetings were interesting when this all started a few months ago. Still not sure why they couldn't grasp my thoughts on giving those staying at the fort a two day limit. Sure seems like dry land to me and the Cubans that land thrre.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Leadslinger wrote:make it 5, close the spawn season.
Yes, this is more reasonable than drastically reducing 10 to 3...

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

just make it like singapore, if we catch you red handed we kill you. either the people killing the small fish will be scared or they will die!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Well, now.........01/01/2017

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Could have been worse

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

I haven't seen a legal mutton caught from Pompano Pier in ages. I have seen plenty go in coolers though. :mad: 16" or 18"... it won't matter there. :roll:

*** Pompano Pier - Poaching Capital of the World! ***

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

BEOWULF wrote:I haven't seen a legal mutton caught from Pompano Pier in ages. I have seen plenty go in coolers though. :mad: 16" or 18"... it won't matter there. :roll:

Without enforcement all the laws are worthless. Certainly made legal muttons from land a thing of the past.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Yep
18" will eliminate "any" chance for boatless fisherman to catch keeper. But it appears 5 per person/day won't affects party boat fishing within state water much as boat limit will be applied except for dry Tortuga spot within state water... Some serious private mutton trip during spawning may end...

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

fishnfool73 wrote:
BEOWULF wrote:I haven't seen a legal mutton caught from Pompano Pier in ages. I have seen plenty go in coolers though. :mad: 16" or 18"... it won't matter there. :roll:

Without enforcement all the laws are worthless. Certainly made legal muttons from land a thing of the past.

If you see something say something

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Green Tide wrote: If you see something say something
I agree with Green Tide.... Fish Lives Matter!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:Yep
18" will eliminate "any" chance for boatless fisherman to catch keeper.

I would have to disagreed with you on this, Kim. The fish are there and yes (broken record) if you put the time you can catch. Let's be real, a 16in mutton snapper is not worth on a frying pan. I'm glad they went with 5 vs the 3 that was on the table. This in return might give you guys a better shot on landing a bigger mutton or pushing you to fish for a bigger mutton.

Return to “Regulations, Rules, Enviromental Issues”