first midas cichlid/south miami report

This area is for your Freshwater Reports for Florida.
chris21
KING MACKEREL

first midas cichlid/south miami report

Post by chris21 »

I have never caught a midas cichlid before, last week I was invited to join my good friend Martini who holds multiple IGFA world records, I joined him on his bay boat and we hit up the miami canals running through the falls and coral gables. on our way out we were seeing multiple midas cichlids and I told him that I had never caught one before so he put down the trolling motor and the 1st bait I put in the water was inhaled by this gorgeous bright orange midas cichlid, my first!!!! :mrgreen:
as we continued down the canal I was catching a midas on almost every bait I put in the water. We got to this one spot and I caught this big yellow 2lb midas cichlid. it was the biggest midas on the day and my new personal best.
further on up we spotted a nice peacock and moments later had him in the boat, peacock weighed in at 3lbs even and makes it my biggest Miami Dade County peacock.
most of the fish caught were tilapias and cichlids, only a couple peacock, I still had an awesome day out on the water and finally glad to check off the midas cichlid off my list. we also saw a big school of 30+ pound pacus which was extremely neat
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: first midas cichlid/south miami report

Post by baseball4life702 »

Nice catches, the chiclids imo fight better than largemouth but not as good as the peacocks. The canals are friggen loaded around here and to be on a boat is even better.
Funny I went to high school in Miami with a Martini that holds IGFA records. He wouldn't happen to be part of a big fishing family that also holds a lot of IGFA records?

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

Nice fish, BTW, I assume your friend is Dr. A. He is a legend when it comes to light tackle world records. Also midas cichlids are delicious to eat, pan fried. They are real popular in Colombia.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

lkatze2 wrote:Nice fish, BTW, I assume your friend is Dr. A. He is a legend when it comes to light tackle world records. Also midas cichlids are delicious to eat, pan fried. They are real popular in Colombia.
It's gotta be his son martini A. lol his dad's name is Martin

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Yup!! You guys are spot on!! I met Martini and his dad MartIn awhile ago at IGFA when doing volunteer work, both hold a ton of IGFA world records, I became good friends with his son so he invited me down one day to fish with him

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Those are awesome! I feed them bread with my girls when we take a,walk by the canal...and nice peacock!

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Thanks man

Return to “Freshwater Florida Reports”